Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

That's pretty much exactly what's happening:

UCF coach: ?Everything in place? for Big East move

So I guess the six schools the Big East is adding look to be Boise State, Temple, UCF, Air Force, Navy(?), and one other school. Who would be the sixth?

Army... isn't it?

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I wonder if this latest realignment will give the Big East the courage to tell Notre Dame to either join as a full member or go screw.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I wonder if this latest realignment will give the Big East the courage to tell Notre Dame to either join as a full member or go screw.

I think they need to force the issue with Notre Dame. But I think the Big East is reluctant because Notre Dame does have a good basketball program... and that's pretty much all the Big East can hang their hat on at this point. I think the loss of Notre Dame in basketball/other sports has far less magnitude than gaining Notre Dame in football.

Personally, I don't like that a school can be a partial member of a conference, when that conference supports the sport and division that the school has a program for. The Big East has a BCS football program and ND has a BCS football program, therefore, there should be no option to remain independent if every other ND sport is in the Big East.

I don't think ND wants to join the Big 10, but I think they are more willing to join the Big 10 than the Big East since the Big East's football has take a sharp decline with the loss of Pitt and TCU - and who knows who else.

Notre Dame's arrogance keeps them independent, and their same arrogance wants them to be the LAST school to jump ship. If the SEC went to 16, the Pac 12 went to 16 (resulting in the collapse of the Big XII), the ACC and Big East merge into a 16 school football conference and massive basketball conference, and the Big 10 settles on 14 or 15 members... I think Notre Dame wants to puff their chest out and say they were the last independent... they were the last domino to fall.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I can tell you that it seems like the vast majority of Mizzou fans want the SEC. Myself included. Better recruiting AND more money.

Saying you'd rather be in the B1G but would "settle" for the SEC is like a baseball free agent saying he'd rather be with the Yankees but would "settle" for the Red Sawks.

I never said that. One person did and it amounted to nothing. Probably just someone running their mouth, making statements on their own personal preference.

For the record, that was me. And it was officially reported in an ESPN article from an "anonymous official inside of the University of Missouri".

The article didn't say "settle" but it did say that the Big 10 is Missouri's primary, first choice. But it also said that they would be excited to join the SEC, too.

I'd call anything that isn't a first choice "settling", wouldn't you? It's not like Mizzou is going independent and will only join a conference if the B1G calls.

Look, we're dealing with a group of COLLEGE PRESIDENTS, for crying out loud. I'm pretty sure they can read between the lines and divine the term "settling" from whatever was actually said. The issue is whether ANYTHING was actually said by anyone relevant within the University of Missouri. An "anonymous official" means absolutely nothing. It could be the president of the Student Athletic Board, the chair of the Pan-Hellenic Council, the Registrar, etc. If it wasn't the Chancellor, the Athletic Director or a member of the Board of Curators, it really doesn't matter. People outside the process don't speak for the University regarding this matter and I doubt very seriously that anyone within the SEC pays those kinds of comments any mind.

Nonetheless, this non-scandal does highlight the need for Mizzou and the SEC to move this dance along. If Slive wants MU in the SEC fold, then he needs to get Alabama and Tennessee on board, suggest to MU that the time "might be right" to file an application and let's get going. At this juncture it appears MU remains poised to apply for SEC membership and I have to believe that they're sitting on their hands waiting for the secret wink or hand signal or whatever from Slive to make the application. If there's no way to turn the present SEC no votes to yes, then let's establish that so that MU can move forward with making the best out of its continued membership in the Big XII and the SEC can move on finding what now appears to be a very essential 14th school (in light of the BCS's requirement that all conferences with 2 divisions play at least 8 conference games).

Nonetheless, this non-scandal does highlight the need for Mizzou and the SEC to move this dance along. If Slive wants MU in the SEC fold, then he needs to get Alabama and Tennessee on board, suggest to MU that the time "might be right" to file an application and let's get going. At this juncture it appears MU remains poised to apply for SEC membership and I have to believe that they're sitting on their hands waiting for the secret wink or hand signal or whatever from Slive to make the application. If there's no way to turn the present SEC no votes to yes, then let's establish that so that MU can move forward with making the best out of its continued membership in the Big XII and the SEC can move on finding what now appears to be a very essential 14th school (in light of the BCS's requirement that all conferences with 2 divisions play at least 8 conference games).

This is exactly how I look at it. It's seems as of right now, the SEC is set on making Mizzou the 14th member and obviously Mizzou has shown interest in becoming that 14th member. Now we're at this stalemate and it seems like no side is making that necessary move. Like you said, either get the votes changed and let's move on, or don't get them changed and let's move on.

I read on twitter (take it as you will) that there is an offer, but Slive is making MU jump through hoops like they did with aTM. Not certain about, just what's being said around out there.

I've heard something similar, pretty much it's not if Missouri gets invited, but when (in case anyone didn't assume that).

A few quick items:

1-Rutgers is now "officicially exploring their options" if they really have any.

2- Last year, the Big East presidents/chancellors rejected a proposal from the commissioner to raise their exit fee from $5M to $17-20M.

3-Conference USA exit fee is $7M.

4-Remember, this will still trickle down to conferences like the CAA and A-10 since there are teams there looking to move up to FBS.

A few quick items:

1-Rutgers is now "officicially exploring their options" if they really have any.

2- Last year, the Big East presidents/chancellors rejected a proposal from the commissioner to raise their exit fee from $5M to $17-20M.

3-Conference USA exit fee is $7M.

4-Remember, this will still trickle down to conferences like the CAA and A-10 since there are teams there looking to move up to FBS.

Rutgers may actually have options... the Big 10.

The Mountain West and Conference USA have announced a football alliance.

That's right guys, a 22-team mid-major conference.

Also, reports say Boise State and Air Force endorsed the move, whcih means they could be staying put in the MWC -- especially if this new MEGA conference can get an automatic BCS bid.

Edited by Cujo

6uXNWAo.png