Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

If Mizzou's application to SEC is "inevitable and imminent," and the same source is also positive make me think that Slive has convinced his presidents/chancellors to admit them and even Alabama had pull not to move Auburn to the SEC East.

Just to follow up on this.

Missouri could decide on SEC by Thursday.

Please, Missouri is not in the "position to decide" anything but that they want to leave the Big XII and they as a university owned KOUM as a tv station. which is NBC affiliate. They may have to deal with that as well. The conference has to them in. That is how they may have lost the B1G as they bragged too much.

That's exactly what A&M did though. They announced they were leaving the Big XII and a week later they were accepted into the SEC. I gotta believe that Missouri is doing the same thing with the notion that they are getting accepted into the SEC.

If Mizzou's application to SEC is "inevitable and imminent," and the same source is also positive make me think that Slive has convinced his presidents/chancellors to admit them and even Alabama had pull not to move Auburn to the SEC East.

Just to follow up on this.

Missouri could decide on SEC by Thursday.

Please, Missouri is not in the "position to decide" anything but that they want to leave the Big XII and they as a university owned KOUM as a tv station. which is NBC affiliate. They may have to deal with that as well. The conference has to them in. That is how they may have lost the B1G as they bragged too much.

Proofread. You were doin so well, lately. Last couple post have been unreadable. Did you fall off the wagon?

Yoda?!

Basketball programs are important to this discussion. They are moving with football. Mizzou's basketball is moving with their football. Boise State would be in the Big 12 by now if Football wasn't the only thing they were good in. If Boise State had some Final Fours under their belt they would be hot.

Basketball programs are important to this discussion. They are moving with football. Mizzou's basketball is moving with their football. Boise State would be in the Big 12 by now if Football wasn't the only thing they were good in. If Boise State had some Final Fours under their belt they would be hot.

And yet one of the most storied programs in college basketball history (Kansas) could very well have been scrambling for a home after last year's realignment chatter.

It's simple:

Why isn't anyone interested in Kansas? Because basketball is an afterthought in realignment talks.

Why isn't anyone in Rice or Tulane? Because academics are irrelevant in realignment talks.

mod edit DING! Thank you for bringing the light. Now, everyone, back to the FOOTBALL realignment discussion.

And yet one of the most storied programs in college basketball history (Kansas) could very well have been scrambling for a home after last year's realignment chatter.

It's simple:

Why isn't anyone interested in Kansas? Because basketball is an afterthought in realignment talks.

Why isn't anyone in Rice or Tulane? Because academics are irrelevant in realignment talks.

mod edit DING! Thank you for bringing the light. Now, everyone, back to the FOOTBALL realignment discussion.

Because their football program is terrible. Conferences are looking at football more than basketball but BOTH are being looked at.

It's simple:

Basketball and academics are important, but they aren't the thing that's fueling the realignment. Why isn't Boise State already in a major conference? It's because of their other sports and academics. And Rice and Tulane aren't getting any big invites because their football programs aren't good. Conferences already have their Vanderbilts and Northwesterns so they're not going out and looking to bring in a school that's main draw is the academics.

Football is by far the most important factor of the realignment discussions, but it's wrong to say that academics and basketball are meaningless.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

And Rice and Tulane aren't getting any big invites because their football programs aren't good.

Speaking of Tulane, I see where Bob Toledo stepped away from the head football coaching position today. If all of a sudden Mike Leach pops up as their new coach then my harebrained notion of a longshot Green Wave-to-the-Big-XII scenario I discussed a few pages back doesn't seem so far-fetched. Again, a guy like Leach could pull in a lot of local guys not on LSU's shopping list and could gut the recruiting base for the 3 other non-BCS schools in Louisiana. Suddenly, Tulane has a *fairly decent* program, perhaps on par with Kansas and (assumed invitee) Louisville. Plus, Leach knows how to recruit Texas and wouldn't it be lovely for him to steal a prospect or two from Tech?

This is the kind of crap that festers in the unoccupied corners of my mind.

Hey, if it makes Craig James' head explode, I'm all for it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.