Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I don't think that classifies as desperate or pathetic. They are just trying to make sure they don't lose anymore schools the way they lost BYU/TCU/Utah. I could see your point if this rule was put into place very recently (like once Air Force and Boise thought about jumping to the Big East) but since this has been in effect since June the desperate and pathetic terms don't really apply. They are just doing what every organization should do, protecting their investments.

Remember folks! The Mountain West is desperate and pathetic by upping its buyout if teams wish to bail in a year or so. The Big East is protecting its interests by insisting Syracuse and Pitt stay in the Conference through 2014!

/ESPN Narrative

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reading the ticker on ESPN.....

Should Missouri decide to leave the Big XII, the conference's "wish list" to replace Missouri is as follows, in order:

-West Virginia

-BYU

-Louisville

-Cincinnati

Going from some Twitter reports, BYU is back in the running as favorite. They'll have to decide on 10 or 12 for next season. When they decide to go 12, it's expected that all those schools would be invited and probably would join.

Should Missouri decide to leave the Big XII, the conference's "wish list" to replace Missouri is as follows, in order:

-West Virginia

-BYU

-Louisville

-Cincinnati

Going from some Twitter reports, BYU is back in the running as favorite. They'll have to decide on 10 or 12 for next season. When they decide to go 12, it's expected that all those schools would be invited and probably would join.

With TCU, they could only take 3 to get to 12. I would think Cincinnati is the last choice, but isn't BYU enjoying independence?

However, this is somewhat respectable:

East: WVU, Cincy, Louisville, Iowa St., Kansas, K-State

West: TX Tech, Texas, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, Ok-State

If this happens, doesn't Rutgers and UCONN go running to the ACC begging for a spot and then we say night night to Big East Football?

Give the Mountain USA champion a BCS spot and maybe then this madness can stop.

Then Big East basketball could merge with or take the good teams from the Atlantic 10 and have a beast of a basketball conference. And Notre Dame has a place to park its non-football sports.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

-West Virginia

-BYU

-Louisville

-Cincinnati

With TCU, they could only take 3 to get to 12. I would think Cincinnati is the last choice, but isn't BYU enjoying independence?

If this happens, doesn't Rutgers and UCONN go running to the ACC begging for a spot and then we say night night to Big East Football?

Then Big East basketball could merge with or take the good teams from the Atlantic 10 and have a beast of a basketball conference. And Notre Dame has a place to park its non-football sports.

UConn and Rutgers are already running to the ACC. I don't think the ACC takes one of them unless they can get Notre Dame for all sports including football. And then i think it will be Rutgers that gets in despite the noise UConn is trying to make because of politics.

As for Notre Dame if the Big East football blows up it has a problem on their hand. Scheduling and access to the East Coast. As part of their partial membership ND plays 4 Big East teams a year, no BE and those go away and need to be filled. Further with them going to 14 teams the ACC can play hardball with Notre Dame and say they are going to go to 9 conference games and need to drop a non-conference game and threaten to pull out of their scheduled games with ND. That is a couple more games ND then needs to fill. Further it basically takes away their access to the East Coast for the most part, which if you look at their roster they are dependent on. A significant chunk of their roster comes from the east coast.

Also remember that NBC isn't paying ND just for ND games. They are paying them for the teams ND brings in to play. That is the reason why ND doesn't play that many games against non-AQ conference teams outside the service academies. So even a weaken Big East will hurt ND's pocket book when it comes to their NBC deal.

Good points, but wouldn't Notre Dame still be able to find decent teams willing to play them even if the current agreements are thrown out? Of course they may not all be East Coast, especially if ACC went to a 9 game schedule.

So the question is will ND be willing to sacrifice $$$ to stay independent.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

They're already sacrificing money to stay independent. The B1G has been making more money per school from the BTN than ND has been making from their NBC deal + Big East olympic sports TV rights for some time.

Then I think they end up staying indy.

Right now I would think they can count on playing USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan St., Purdue, and all 3 service academies if they wanted. That leaves them 4 games to fill. Probably wouldn't be the toughest schedule many years, but if they want to stay independent they'll do it.

RIP Demitra #38

-West Virginia

-BYU

-Louisville

-Cincinnati

So, whoever wins the Red River Rivalry would be the team coming out of the West? To be honest, I don't see how a Kansas State or West Virginia deserves to get a Big XII Championship spot when they play Louisville, Cinci, and Iowa State. That competition doesn't seem to pan out compared to Texas, Texas Christian, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The MWC/C-USA alliance may not really be occurring instead they could combine with the Big East, select MAC and select WAC schools.

According to sources from those conferences, the plan was devised as a way that the Big East could ensure its place as one of the six conferences receiving automatic BCS bids.

The document, which was obtained by The Globe, reveals an alternative plan which would help the Big East maintain its AQ status -- automatic qualification -- but also provide access to the Mountain West and Conference USA, who hope to gain such status.

Under the plan, Super Conference would consist of four divisions: West, Mountain, Central and the Big East.

In the 32-team format, the West Division would consist of Boise State, Hawaii, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno State, San Diego State, Utah State and San Jose State.

The Mountain Division would consist of Air Force, Wyoming, Colorado State, New Mexico, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa and Houston.

The Central Division would consist of Marshall, Memphis, Southern Mississippi, Tulane, UAB, Rice, Temple and Louisiana Tech.

And the Big East Division would consist of Louisville, UConn, Rutgers, Cincinnati, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina and Navy. West Virginia is not included in this plan, with the assumption being the Mountaineers would be headed to the Big 12 to replace Missouri which will presumably wind up in the SEC along with Texas A&M.

The scaled down version of 28 teams would not include San Jose State in the West, move Houston from the Mountain to the Central Division, eliminate Temple and Louisiana Tech from the Central Division and not include Navy in the Big East division.

Wait, wait wait.. There's bad blood between Oregon and Oklahoma? Since when??

The rub is more with the Pac-10 replay officials after their 2006 game.

There's also the 2005 holiday bowl. And the time when we got killed in Norman back in 2004. And the fact that everyone calls us OU, when we're actually UO. It's kinda like how we don't like Boise. Although, I think there might be more bad blood between the two. But both could turn into legit rivalry games.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

-West Virginia

-BYU

-Louisville

-Cincinnati

So, whoever wins the Red River Rivalry would be the team coming out of the West? To be honest, I don't see how a Kansas State or West Virginia deserves to get a Big XII Championship spot when they play Louisville, Cinci, and Iowa State. That competition doesn't seem to pan out compared to Texas, Texas Christian, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

That's how it's been when the Big 12 was north and south. A North team last won the conference in 2003 (K-State). Not saying it's right, but I'd be surprised if they would configure it on anything besides geography with a conference spanning that kind of distance.

RIP Demitra #38

Missouri does NOT submit letter of Conditional Withdrawal or made any mention of leaving the Big XII at the the conference's board of directors meeting. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7145629/no-departure-missouri-tigers-big-12-meeting

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

You know that statement one school official made about Mizzou really wanting to be in the B1G but would "settle" for the SEC if there were no other options? It's true.

Missouri will "settle" for the SEC if that's what it comes down to, but they're not going to leave the Big XII for the SEC as long as the Big XII has Texas, Oklahoma, and an auto-bid to the BCS. Now if the B1G rang... that would be different. Mizzou would be outta there like a jackrabbit at an Elmer Fudd convention.