Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

It's been mentioned on a few occasions that the Big Ten has an interest in luring Georgia Tech away from the ACC. And Georgia Tech hasn't exactly tried to shoot down those rumors.

Yes, Georgia Tech and Maryland have been tossed about as rumors. Delaney and the B1G have made no effort to hide the fact that they want more access to fertile recruiting ground in the south. And schools like GT can see the appeal of a prestigious academic conference with its own television network. And to throw in the basketball angle - Big Ten schools typically spend towards the bottom of the pile when in comes to hoops (WAAAY less than the ACC or Big East, especially), yet they still offer up very competitive teams. The B1G is also a very stable and well-rounded conference across many sports, again opposed to the ACC and Big East which are clearly basketball-heavy.

My problem with Georgia Tech is that it's an expansion for the sake of expansion. The conference wants them for their perks and regional advantages, but the actual Yellowjacket athletic program is immaterial. Plus, GT is way off in the boonies compared to the rest of the conference. Currently, all Big Ten schools are in contiguous, bordering states. You can drive from Nebraska to Penn State and never leave "Big Ten Country."

Texas is an interesting option, but in my opinion they value their own independence and control too much. The Big 12 is happy to give Texas a long leash, something the Big Ten may not offer.

Critics cite that schools like Oklahoma & Oklahoma State are not members of the AAU, which is thought to be a requirement for B1G entry. However, Nebraska recently left the AAU, which dispels this theory. Schools need only to have some academic clout and be committed to research and joint projects. Currently the B1G has a sort of "professor exchange" program - one school loaning faculty to another.

So, we're left with really two criteria. Southern access and academic clout. Delaney will no doubt also push for schools which "move the needle" in terms of their overall prestige. With Nebraska and Penn State as the most recent additions, the B1G isn't looking to snatch up Toledo - they want a big gun.

This leaves a few candidates in my mind. Kansas and Kentucky both provide "semi-southern" access, and would boost the conference's basketball profile significantly. KU would be glad to have a stable, non-Big 12 home but they might be a package deal with KState, which the B1G doesn't want. Kentucky probably wouldn't leave the SEC, but a rivalry with Indiana plus stable income from the BTN might be luring.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren't out of the question, either. They would indeed bring the southern markets and move the needle. They fit geographically as well. Of course, Notre Dame remains the golden egg. Because the Sooners & Cowboys are a package deal, the league would have to pick either the Oklahomas or the Domers - not both... unless they wanted to go supernova and hit 16 teams.

Also, don't overlook a Big East raid - Rutgers, while clearly not southern, provides access to the NYC television market and adds another blue blood to the academic stable. Pitt and Syracuse seem happy with their ACC deal, but might a possible Pitt-WVU combo be too irresistible for the Panthers to pass up?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Oklahoma State also lost to 6-7 Iowa State. A team that finished with a losing record. They only have themselves to blame for putting themselves in a position where they had to resort to comparing resumes.

On the road. In overtime. 24 hours after a school tragedy.

The plane crash is so overstated and not really relevant. The football players have little connection to a WBB coach. More relevant is that they blew a 17 point lead in the 2nd half.

Except they interact every day in athletics facilities. No big deal. Plus it's more of a "That could have been us" dynamic.

The guy in the black sweater is OSU football player Jamie Blatnick.

w300-f775b3c63745179ca092371c2c4ab77d.jpg

And Unfortunately that wasn't the first OK State airplane tragedy in recent history.

1zqy8ok.gif

Temple's officially in the Big East for next season. I'm actually kinda surprised they welcomed the Big East back after getting the boot back in 2004, but at least it solves a lot of scheduling problems for next season

The true excitement comes in 2013 (when the all-sport move becomes official)...if you thought the 'Nova-Temple rivalry was fierce before, wait 'till it becomes a conference one!

Once again, two questions come up:

1. Which FCS school is the MAC going after to replace Temple for football?

2. Which school is the A-10 going after to replace Temple for all other sports?

bYhYmxh.png

Temple's officially in the Big East for next season. I'm actually kinda surprised they welcomed the Big East back after getting the boot back in 2004, but at least it solves a lot of scheduling problems for next season

The true excitement comes in 2013 (when the all-sport move becomes official)...if you thought the 'Nova-Temple rivalry was fierce before, wait 'till it becomes a conference one!

1. None likely

2. None likely

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The MAC already has brought in UMass for next year. Replacing Temple's place in the East division. But does it really matter? the MAC is a joke

The MAC already has brought in UMass for next year. Replacing Temple's place in the East division. But does it really matter? the MAC is a joke

They brought in UMass because they hated being a 13 team league. I imagine they still hate the idea of a 13 team league.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This leaves a few candidates in my mind. Kansas and Kentucky both provide "semi-southern" access, and would boost the conference's basketball profile significantly. KU would be glad to have a stable, non-Big 12 home but they might be a package deal with KState, which the B1G doesn't want. Kentucky probably wouldn't leave the SEC, but a rivalry with Indiana plus stable income from the BTN might be luring.

I thought about Kansas too, and I really wouldn't be upset if they joined the B1G. Their brand of football and basketball would fit right in, they'd be both a natural and traditional rival for Nebraska and they'd definitely boost the league's basketball profile. Something tells me that if the B1G did extend and invitation to KU, nothing short of a bill passed by the Kansas legislature would prevent the Jayhawks from abandoning K-State.

Also, don't overlook a Big East raid - Rutgers, while clearly not southern, provides access to the NYC television market and adds another blue blood to the academic stable. Pitt and Syracuse seem happy with their ACC deal, but might a possible Pitt-WVU combo be too irresistible for the Panthers to pass up?

It's debatable how much of a following Rutgers really has in NYC and the B1G already has a huge alumni base in the Northeast given how many students at schools like Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern and especially Penn State come from the east coast. The Big Ten Network is already on NYC cable systems for this reason.

I don't see how the MAC is a joke when they've never pretended to be anything other than a conference for the smaller programs in B1G country. The only reason they even took on schools like UMass, Temple and Buffalo (which isn't even that far outside of their footprint to begin with) is because there's no smaller conference in the Northeast for them to go to.

1. None likely

2. None likely

1. The MAC doesn't need and probably won't look to add another team. They did Temple a solid because they brought them into the fold and kept their football program from dying had they been left to the wolves as independents. To classify the MAC as a joke is just not true. They play quality football in the MAC and won the ESPN Bowl Challenge Trophy because they WON. They win in the MAC. Unfortunately not at Kent but they could finally maybe be turning the corner.

2. The Atlantic 10 may stay at 13 or let another team go awawy for the even dozen.

I thought about Kansas too, and I really wouldn't be upset if they joined the B1G. Their brand of football and basketball would fit right in, they'd be both a natural and traditional rival for Nebraska and they'd definitely boost the league's basketball profile. Something tells me that if the B1G did extend and invitation to KU, nothing short of a bill passed by the Kansas legislature would prevent the Jayhawks from abandoning K-State.

Kansas State is probably more attractive than Kansas actually.

1. Kansas State is actually competent at football.

2. Kansas State actually cares about being competent at football.

3. Kansas State is good enough at basketball to be competitive, insofar as basketball matters here in this discussion.

4. Kansas State is getting this lovely billion dollar federal research facility that I'm sure the CIC would love to get in on.

Kentucky would never leave the SEC.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If you're looking for that end-date for the constant musical chairs in the world of big time college football (and basketball) realignment, stop your search:

It ain't going to happen.

this thread is up to about 148 pages. the meaning is clear: realignment is here for eternity. nothing is going to stick. and, then again, why should it? If you can casually throw away a 100 year + conference association and rivalry, such as Kansas-Missouri or Texas-Texas A&M, then how difficult will it be to discard the association you created like, well.....yesterday (as collective amnesia takes over and nobody remembers anything that happened before last Tuesday)?

some think this is all heading for some sort of "super conference" set-up with 4 behemoths, each with 16 teams, totally dominating the sport and, more importantly, the $$$$ that it makes; perhaps MSU and Oregon are the luckiest schools around; their school color is green and green is the color of choice.

but think again if you believe that if we arrived at that 4 conferences/16 teams each will be some sort of a freeze frame. It won't. It would be a total disaster, destroying everything in its path on its road to monetary greed. first of all, those 16 teams in a conference are way too big for cohesiveness. Second is that NFL style, those 16 teams will be slotted into 4 divisions, making the regular season (once the joy due to its purity in only two sports, our most traditional of all: MLB and college football...but now part of none) into something meaningless:

you come out on top of a group of 4 and you are a "player" in the national championship. Talk about diluting the play-off field, rewarding mediocracy, and killing interest (as it surely will).

College football does not exist in a vacuum; it is as much a part of our greed-generated society with finance being the only bottom line and tradition tossed to the wind on a wim as all our other institutions.

In a world where Missouri can join Florida, West Virginia can join Texas Tech, Penn State can join Nebraska, and Colorado (out there in Boulder and the High Plains, not the Rockies) can join Stanford, nothing really makes sense, does it?

In a world where Missouri can join Florida, West Virginia can join Texas Tech, Penn State can join Nebraska, and Colorado (out there in Boulder and the High Plains, not the Rockies) can join Stanford, nothing really makes sense, does it?

Missouri's also joining Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee/Vanderbilt, remaining with Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi/MS State, all teams from bordering states or still in their region.

Nebraska's joining Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois/Northwestern. Other plains/northern midwest schools.

As shown in pro sports alignments, the Western US is a very spread out region and most top teams are gonna be so as well. Although called the "Pacific"-12, it's really the top western conference and so Colorado and Utah actually fit in there regionally.

4. Kansas State is getting this lovely billion dollar federal research facility that I'm sure the CIC would love to get in on.

Was not aware of this... that alone makes K-State a more attractive choice than Kansas.

Kentucky would never leave the SEC.

Never. It kind of goes against the whole "pretending to have been part of the Confederacy" thing that many Kentuckians seem so fond of.

this thread is up to about 148 pages. the meaning is clear: realignment is here for eternity. nothing is going to stick. and, then again, why should it? If you can casually throw away a 100 year + conference association and rivalry, such as Kansas-Missouri or Texas-Texas A&M, then how difficult will it be to discard the association you created like, well.....yesterday (as collective amnesia takes over and nobody remembers anything that happened before last Tuesday)?

Out-of-conference games exist.

Likewise, I had not heard about KSU's grant project.

Looking purely at football rivalries ONLY, and not academia, cultures, traditions or other sports, I would love to see Nebraska have a chance to renew rivalries (in this order) with Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. Those old Big 8 schools have a century of history and have produced some amazing games.

Missouri's locked into the SEC, but Jim Delaney could make a huge splash if the Big Ten somehow poached off the four Kansas/Oklahoma schools. Realistically, it will never happen, but imagine what a giant that conference would be. Plus, they could actually have a geographical East-West alignment that wouldn't be too lopsided towards one division or the other.

East: Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State

West: Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I don't think Kansas and Kansas State will be seperated. KSU definitely brings the football angle, which KU lacks, but coupled with KU's basketball (I know, only football dictates) and "academics", they make for a more attractive package than stand-alones. I also believe that their only real shot at a Power conference would be the Big Ten. I don't think the SEC or PAC would really be all that interested. But they do seem to fit well in the Big Ten. I think the Oklahoma schools, also more than likely a package only, could go either PAC (without Texas/Texas Tech) or possibly the SEC. While not AAU schools, I believe, they're not exactly on UConn's level of academia either. And while football is the moneymaker and both would help strengthen the conference in that regard, they also would help bring up the basketball status as well. Both schools are in down periods, like much of the PAC is right now, but that'll probably end.

Have you ever been to Boulder? How much closer does it have to get to the Rockies? It backs up to the "front range" of the Rocky Mountains. I wouldn't say it's in the High Plains.

Denver's airport is in the "High Plains". Boulder is not.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1. None likely

2. None likely

1. The MAC doesn't need and probably won't look to add another team. They did Temple a solid because they brought them into the fold and kept their football program from dying had they been left to the wolves as independents. To classify the MAC as a joke is just not true. They play quality football in the MAC and won the ESPN Bowl Challenge Trophy because they WON. They win in the MAC. Unfortunately not at Kent but they could finally maybe be turning the corner.

2. The Atlantic 10 may stay at 13 or let another team go awawy for the even dozen.

And we might have our answer for #2:

Two-time national runners-up Butler!

Personally, I say it would be a good move if it happens...increases the A-10's profile even more (especially now that they got four bids) and also puts a bit of a bridge between Dayton/Xavier and St. Louis geographically-wise.

bYhYmxh.png

1. None likely

2. None likely

And we might have our answer for #2:

Two-time national runners-up Butler!

Personally, I say it would be a good move if it happens...increases the A-10's profile even more (especially now that they got four bids) and also puts a bit of a bridge between Dayton/Xavier and St. Louis geographically-wise.

Saw this coming... the last two school that had as much success as Butler in the Horizon League (Xavier) bolted for the A-10 as well.

I hope this is the kick in the arse our athletic department needs to add football. Without it, we're doomed to Midwest college basketball purgatory as the Horizon League would become the Mid-Continent ca. 1993 plus Loyola and Detroit... two other schools the A-10 would probably target once Charlotte and UMass leave.

Apparently talk is that if Butler leaves the Horizon that Oakland would be the team added. Oakland was previously looked at as a candidate for the 10th team before Valparaiso, but Butler and Detroit blocked the move. Without Butler, UDM cannot apparently block the vote on their own.

6fQjS3M.png

Oakland would be good insurance for the Horizon in case Detroit ever leaves. I'm also thinking IUPUI because the Horizon League would probably want to keep a Top 25 media market... particularly the one that's also home to the conference headquarters.