Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

If that does happen...then the Atlantic 10 might just take the Pac-12's place as a "major" CBB conference! (Some have said they'd be the Little Big East if all three of these schools join)

I think they could have a point-almost as many teams, similar geographic footprint, conference tournament in NYC (at Brooklyn's Barclays Center).

bYhYmxh.png

If that does happen...then the Atlantic 10 might just take the Pac-12's place as a "major" CBB conference! (Some have said they'd be the Little Big East if all three of these schools join)

I think they could have a point-almost as many teams, similar geographic footprint, conference tournament in NYC (at Brooklyn's Barclays Center).

However, if Butler/VCU/George Mason were to join, wouldn't that just make the A-10 the same multi-bid conference (2-3 teams) but with three more teams and possibly a higher RPI by one?

VCU has not won the CAA regular season title under Smart, GMU is upper tier, but may not remain there under Hewitt.

Their TV value may not be raised much, but the competition for the same number of NCAA bids would.

Apparently, there are still issues with the C-USA/MWC merger which may have it going back to an "alliance".

Note: Wilner and CBSSports' McMurphy went to the web at about the same time Monday afternoon with updates.

From Wilner:

According to sources:

* The NCAA told the MWC and C-USA that it would award the merged league only one AQ berth to postseason events. So instead of two 8-10 team leagues and two AQs, there would be one 16+ team league with only one AQ.

* In addition ? and I don?t claim to understand the legal nuances involved ? the exit fees owed to the conferences by departing members would be deemed null and void if that conference merged with another. Memphis, for example, would keep its money from March Madness, instead of that cash going to C-USA.

But here?s what hasn?t changed, and probably won?t change:

Even with an alliance, which would mostly be for scheduling purposes, the MWC and C-USA may very well add new members. And as I noted last week, such a development would endanger the existence of other conferences.

In fact, I believe the Mountain West MUST expand.

In its reconfigured form (i.e., post Boise State/SDSU), the MWC will have 8 schools for football and 7 for everything else because Hawaii?s Olympic sports are headed to the Big West. It simply cannot stay at 7 for Oly sports and, most likely, needs more than 8 for football.

Apparently, there are still issues with the C-USA/MWC merger which may have it going back to an "alliance".

Note: Wilner and CBSSports' McMurphy went to the web at about the same time Monday afternoon with updates.

From Wilner:

According to sources:

* The NCAA told the MWC and C-USA that it would award the merged league only one AQ berth to postseason events. So instead of two 8-10 team leagues and two AQs, there would be one 16+ team league with only one AQ.

* In addition ? and I don?t claim to understand the legal nuances involved ? the exit fees owed to the conferences by departing members would be deemed null and void if that conference merged with another. Memphis, for example, would keep its money from March Madness, instead of that cash going to C-USA.

But here?s what hasn?t changed, and probably won?t change:

Even with an alliance, which would mostly be for scheduling purposes, the MWC and C-USA may very well add new members. And as I noted last week, such a development would endanger the existence of other conferences.

In fact, I believe the Mountain West MUST expand.

In its reconfigured form (i.e., post Boise State/SDSU), the MWC will have 8 schools for football and 7 for everything else because Hawaii?s Olympic sports are headed to the Big West. It simply cannot stay at 7 for Oly sports and, most likely, needs more than 8 for football.

I guess we will see what will happen but I think all is still going to plan

http://www.gazette.com/sports/conference-135900-form-west.html

And Pacific makes 10 for the West Coast Conference!

This is why I'm glad Gonzaga, even with all their offers to join the WAC and the Mountain West, stayed in the WCC...because of their dynasty, not only have other schools in there stepped their game up during their time (St. Mary's, San Diego, Pepperdine, etc.), but it's also become an attractive conference for other schools to join (BYU and now Pacific).

bYhYmxh.png

This is why I'm glad Gonzaga, even with all their offers to join the WAC and the Mountain West, stayed in the WCC...because of their dynasty, not only have other schools in there stepped their game up during their time (St. Mary's, San Diego, Pepperdine, etc.), but it's also become an attractive conference for other schools to join (BYU and now Pacific).

It is easier to schedule a ten team league than a nine team one.

Also, adding two more conference games against U of P may take away a higher profile game for a Gonzaga ot St. Mary's to schedule against a top 50 RPI opponent.

Take this for what it's worth, which is possibly just speculation on my part. I meant to bring this up sooner, but I've been a little destracted as of late.

A few weeks ago I was talking to my nephew who's currently on the football team at Georgia State (an FCS independent). We got into a brief convo about how his team did this past season, then I asked him what conference his team plays in. I knew they were Indy at the moment, and that they were going to join an FCS conference sometime soon. I just didn't know which conference Georgia State was supposed to join (I was thinking SoCon, Big South, or Southland). To my surprise, he said that they were going to join Conference USA. When I questioned him about that he had an "uh oh" reaction, froze for a little bit then left the room to "answer his cell phone".

Now this is my nephew. I person that has no reason in the world to lie to me about anything (5 year age gap between us, we have more of a cousin like relationship than uncle/nephew). Should I make anything of that?

Since then, I did some research and saw that Georgia State will join (or already joined) the CAA. Could it be possible that Georgia State has some type of long term plan to join Conference USA?

It wouldn't surprise me. You don't play home games in the Georgia Dome as a start up with an ultimate goal of the CAA. And C-USA/MWC would love to get a toehold in Atlanta.

Makes sense. Isn't UTSA (Texas, San Antonio) pretty much joining the WAC after a few startup years in FCS? They play home games in the Alamodome.

Yeah. The difference is that while Georgia State is taking their time before trying to make a move while UTSA is making the move just one year after they started their football program up. You also had to consider that the WAC needed members after losing Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii so any delay in the move would be horrendous for them.

UTSA may not join the WAC on July 1. They could abandon that plan to go to the Sun Belt.

When the SUN BELT looks more attractive by comparison, then you know it's time for the WAC to just give up...

Looks like Georgia State may be interested in the Sun Belt Conference too. Guess may nephew may have (accidentally) spoke too soon.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/3/28/2909016/sun-belt-expansion-georgia-state

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-exploring-fbs-1357698.html

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2012/03/report-georgia-state-could-join-the-sun-belt-in-2013.html

Hotter Than July > Thriller

*BYU joins Big 12*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Take this for what it's worth, which is possibly just speculation on my part. I meant to bring this up sooner, but I've been a little destracted as of late.

A few weeks ago I was talking to my nephew who's currently on the football team at Georgia State (an FCS independent). We got into a brief convo about how his team did this past season, then I asked him what conference his team plays in. I knew they were Indy at the moment, and that they were going to join an FCS conference sometime soon. I just didn't know which conference Georgia State was supposed to join (I was thinking SoCon, Big South, or Southland). To my surprise, he said that they were going to join Conference USA. When I questioned him about that he had an "uh oh" reaction, froze for a little bit then left the room to "answer his cell phone".

Now this is my nephew. I person that has no reason in the world to lie to me about anything (5 year age gap between us, we have more of a cousin like relationship than uncle/nephew). Should I make anything of that?

Since then, I did some research and saw that Georgia State will join (or already joined) the CAA. Could it be possible that Georgia State has some type of long term plan to join Conference USA?

It wouldn't surprise me. You don't play home games in the Georgia Dome as a start up with an ultimate goal of the CAA. And C-USA/MWC would love to get a toehold in Atlanta.

Makes sense. Isn't UTSA (Texas, San Antonio) pretty much joining the WAC after a few startup years in FCS? They play home games in the Alamodome.

Yeah. The difference is that while Georgia State is taking their time before trying to make a move while UTSA is making the move just one year after they started their football program up. You also had to consider that the WAC needed members after losing Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii so any delay in the move would be horrendous for them.

UTSA may not join the WAC on July 1. They could abandon that plan to go to the Sun Belt.

When the SUN BELT looks more attractive by comparison, then you know it's time for the WAC to just give up...

Looks like Georgia State may be interested in the Sun Belt Conference too. Guess may nephew may have (accidentally) spoke too soon.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/3/28/2909016/sun-belt-expansion-georgia-state

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-exploring-fbs-1357698.html

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2012/03/report-georgia-state-could-join-the-sun-belt-in-2013.html

UALR looks like the odd team out. Without a football program, they might be looking at the Southland.

UALR looks like the odd team out. Without a football program, they might be looking at the Southland.

I don't know that UALR would necessarily want to move and I doubt the Sun Belt would kick them out, especially with how long they let Denver stick around.

• 2 weeks later...

It became official today, GSU will go to the Sun Belt in 2013

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22245&SPID=1817&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=205410927

"The Sun Belt Conference announced today that Georgia State University has accepted an invitation to join the league on July 1, 2013 and will begin conference competition for the 2013-14 academic year."

baltimoreravens.png

It became official today, GSU will go to the Sun Belt in 2013

http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22245&SPID=1817&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=205410927

"The Sun Belt Conference announced today that Georgia State University has accepted an invitation to join the league on July 1, 2013 and will begin conference competition for the 2013-14 academic year."

11 is an awfully odd number. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sun Belt invite somebody else like Louisiana Tech or another major market FCS school. Of course, the Sun Belt is also most likely preparing for possible losses from the Alliance/Conference USA.

*BYU joins Big 12*

We'll see.

East Carolina's President spoke about the merger yesterday.

From the transcript:

As you know, we are working on the possibility of a new athletic conference, which at some point would merge the old Conference USA with the Mt. West conference. This merger touches some raw nerves in the Pirate Nation because, quite frankly, we have never received the national respect that we have earned on the playing fields. But we should all remember this: Bad decisions made externally only means that there are bad decision-makers out there. Unfortunately, the way athletic conferences choose new members is no longer a rational process.

As one commissioner said to me, ?We no longer have athletic conferences, we only have TV partnerships.? Because of the overwhelming influence that large TV contracts now have on college sports, ECU does not control and indeed can barely influence the factors that dictate conference alignment. As the author Meg Wheately said, ?IN THIS ENVIRONMENT, IF YOU?RE NOT CONFUSED, YOU?RE NOT THINKING CLEARLY.?

So here is where we stand in terms of a new conference.

First, if this merger is successful, it could be stronger than the old CUSA and it will probably be more stable. Second, members of the new conference recognize the importance of regional rivalries; they are committed to adding more teams with the goal of ensuring 4 divisions of geographical proximity. We look forward to playing long-time rivals such as Marshall and Southern Miss and to adding several eastern universities to our schedule. Hopefully, one will be Charlotte. This is a good trend and certainly one that allows us to concentrate on the academic success and graduation of our student athletes.

So much for the C-USA/MWC merger.

A proposed merger between the Mountain West and Conference USA ?probably will not happen,? college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

The leagues had hoped to dissolve and form a new league or merge into one league for the 2013-14 season, but that is now ?unlikely? at least for the immediate future, sources said. Even though the leagues would remain separate, they are still working together to figure out a way to share television, marketing and scheduling resources.

?There is not much talk about a formal merger of the conferences into one conference entity in the near term, but that is still a future consideration,? a source said.

By deciding to remain as separate leagues, both leagues would likely pursue additional members from other leagues to replace the schools that have left or will be leaving. After next season, Conference USA is losing UCF, Southern Methodist, Houston and Memphis, while the Mountain West, which loses TCU this summer, is losing Boise State and San Diego State next year.

Because of these defections, the Mountain West will have to expand.

That's because each FBS league is required to sponsor at least eight women's sports and six men's sports, with at least six member schools competing in each sport. Based on the MWC's website, the league will not have schools in 2013-14 competing in baseball and men's cross country. C-USA also would need to add more schools to keep women's swimming as a conference sport.

Sources said Utah State and San Jose State are the top candidates to join the MWC in 2013. There also remains a possibility UTEP could move from C-USA to the Mountain West. Without a merger, it's unknown if the Miners could simply switch conferences.

The most likely candidates to join C-USA in 2013 are Louisiana Tech, North Texas and Florida International. Charlotte also is a possibility, but the 49ers won't even begin playing football until 2013 and wouldn't be able to join the FBS ranks until 2015 at the earliest. Louisiana Tech also is a target of the Sun Belt, which recently added Georgia State and could also add other members.

Simple solution. MWC merges with the WAC, while CUSA merges with the SBC. Well it might not be simple, but it would make more geographic sense than the proposed MWC/CUSA merger did.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

With Georgia State heading to the Sun Belt, who does the CAA target?

From what I read on CollegSportsInfo, the CAA may look at Appalanchian State as a possible expansion member. Others include Stony Brook, Charlotte and someone else... I would need to look at it again.

With Georgia State heading to the Sun Belt, who does the CAA target?

From what I read on CollegSportsInfo, the CAA may look at Appalanchian State as a possible expansion member. Others include Stony Brook, Charlotte and someone else... I would need to look at it again.

Looks like the article says it would be Boston U. It also mentioned Coastal Carolina, College of Charleston, Georgia Southern, UNH & Maine for full membership as well, but only if VCU, GMU left

baltimoreravens.png