Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

And Utah State and San Jose State are poised to join the Mountain West.

Methinks Idaho and New Mexico State might either move down to FCS or drop football altogether...

I gotta be honest, every time I see an Idaho home game on TV (mostly clips). It has the feel of watching an FCS game. Something about the Vandals seems like they don't belong at the highest division. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the success and popularity of Boise State that makes them look minor in comparison.

Think it might be that barn they play in?

300px-UI-kibbee-moscow-id-us.png

And Utah State and San Jose State are poised to join the Mountain West.

Methinks Idaho and New Mexico State might either move down to FCS or drop football altogether...

Both fit right within the footprint of the Big Sky Conference... IIRC, Idaho might have even been a charter member.

Well, Texas State won't stay in the WAC for long.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-scene/2012/04/sun-belt-expected-to-add-texas-state-ut-arlington/

The Sun Belt Conference is expected to add Texas State University and UT Arlington for the 2013-14 season, sources said Monday.

Both are expected to play one season in the Western Athletic Conference before joining the Sun Belt next summer.

Texas State will enter the Sun Belt as a Football Bowl Subdivision program headed up by Coach Dennis Franchione.

While UT Arlington does not play football, officials haven?t ruled out adding the sport in the future.

Also, tomorrow is the day that the rumors of VCU, GMU & Butler are supposed to join the A-10. VCU's former AD (now with Minnesota) basically said, give it one more year.

baltimoreravens.png

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/the-local-scene/2012/04/sun-belt-expected-to-add-texas-state-ut-arlington/

The Sun Belt Conference is expected to add Texas State University and UT Arlington for the 2013-14 season, sources said Monday.

Both are expected to play one season in the Western Athletic Conference before joining the Sun Belt next summer.

Texas State will enter the Sun Belt as a Football Bowl Subdivision program headed up by Coach Dennis Franchione.

While UT Arlington does not play football, officials haven?t ruled out adding the sport in the future.

Also, tomorrow is the day that the rumors of VCU, GMU & Butler are supposed to join the A-10. VCU's former AD (now with Minnesota) basically said, give it one more year.

And with that, as if there was any doubt before, barring a merger with the Big Sky (not happening), the WAC is officially dead. Anyone else have the feeling that a new conference will be added? The Sun Belt and C-USA are getting awfully large.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

And with that, as if there was any doubt before, barring a merger with the Big Sky (not happening), the WAC is officially dead. Anyone else have the feeling that a new conference will be added? The Sun Belt and C-USA are getting awfully large.

Nope. Unless a I-AA conference decides to jump up en masse, the NCAA places enough hurdles to new Conference formation that it won't happen.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nope. Unless a I-AA conference decides to jump up en masse, the NCAA places enough hurdles to new Conference formation that it won't happen.

I really wouldn't but completely surprised if either the CAA or Big Sky decides to do that. They could compete with some of the smaller conferences from the start (especially the CAA. Just look at James Madison, RIchmond, Delaware, etc.). THe CAA would compete more, but the Big Sky would probabley be able to replace the audiance that preivously watched the WAC (which, considering how small the confernce was, probabley doesn't justify the bump up in competition).

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I really wouldn't but completely surprised if either the CAA or Big Sky decides to do that. They could compete with some of the smaller conferences from the start (especially the CAA. Just look at James Madison, RIchmond, Delaware, etc.). THe CAA would compete more, but the Big Sky would probabley be able to replace the audiance that preivously watched the WAC (which, considering how small the confernce was, probabley doesn't justify the bump up in competition).

The football CAA is too busy trying to fend off collapse at the moment to think about making the jump, while the Montanas at the least remain uninterested in the cost structure of I-A football.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If this all goes down we have...

-Utah State and San Jose State in the MW

-UTSA and Louisiana Tech in C-USA

-Texas State and UT Arlington in the Sun Belt

This leaves four schools: Denver, Idaho, New Mexico State and Seattle.

Seattle may have the easiest route as the West Coast Conference could open their arms to another old friend (they already did with U. of the Pacific).

Denver would be a great fit in the Summit League. Yeah, they would have trips to Michigan and Indiana, but it has to be better then trips to Texas and Louisiana (or now, with trips to as far as Florida).

Idaho and New Mexico State would be the hardest to deal with since they have football. The best route - Join the Mountain West. Here's a possible scenario for what the Conference may look like here:

Mountain Division

-Air Force

-Colorado State

-New Mexico

-New Mexico State

-Utah State

-Wyoming

West Division

-Fresno State

-Hawaii

-Idaho

-Nevada

-San Jose State

-UNLV

Another thing to consider: Boise State's other sports will return to the WAC in 2013. If the WAC falls, they need a home for everything else.

Well, part of this came out of nowhere...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18923863

Florida International, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Texas San Antonio, Charlotte and Old Dominion will join C-USA giving the league 14 members. However, it's not clear how soon after 2013 Charlotte, which is beginning its football program in 2013, and ODU, currently in the FCS, would be able to compete as a C-USA football member.

I wonder if this means the CAA death watch is coming... Sucks to see ODU leaving but with the rumors going around with VCU & Mason, I'd figured ODU would be next.

baltimoreravens.png

536815_3456188056888_1636466644_2752279_205286532_n.jpg

Today, we are all otaku.

http://www.cbssports...murphy/18923863

Florida International, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Texas San Antonio, Charlotte and Old Dominion will join C-USA giving the league 14 members. However, it's not clear how soon after 2013 Charlotte, which is beginning its football program in 2013, and ODU, currently in the FCS, would be able to compete as a C-USA football member.

I wonder if this means the CAA death watch is coming... Sucks to see ODU leaving but with the rumors going around with VCU & Mason, I'd figured ODU would be next.

While the MWC/C-USA merger is no more, Charlotte is not shocking at all since ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard mentioned them by name on April 12 during his State of the University address when he talked about athletic conferences at the beginning of his speech.

So here is where we stand in terms of a new conference.

First, if this merger is successful, it could be stronger than the old CUSA and it will probably be more stable.

Second, members of the new conference recognize the importance of regional rivalries; they are committed to adding more teams with the goal of ensuring 4 divisions of geographical proximity. We look forward to playing long-time rivals such as Marshall and Southern Miss and to adding several eastern universities to our schedule. Hopefully, one will be Charlotte. This is a good trend and certainly one that allows us to concentrate on the academic success and graduation of our student athletes.

http://www.cbssports...murphy/18923863

While the MWC/C-USA merger is no more, Charlotte is not shocking at all since ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard mentioned them by name on April 12 during his State of the University address when he talked about athletic conferences at the beginning of his speech.

So here is where we stand in terms of a new conference.

First, if this merger is successful, it could be stronger than the old CUSA and it will probably be more stable.

Second, members of the new conference recognize the importance of regional rivalries; they are committed to adding more teams with the goal of ensuring 4 divisions of geographical proximity. We look forward to playing long-time rivals such as Marshall and Southern Miss and to adding several eastern universities to our schedule. Hopefully, one will be Charlotte. This is a good trend and certainly one that allows us to concentrate on the academic success and graduation of our student athletes.

Well, I meant I was more shocked with ODU, I had a feeling UNC Charlotte would try to get back into the C-USA since day one.

baltimoreravens.png

I gotta be honest, every time I see an Idaho home game on TV (mostly clips). It has the feel of watching an FCS game. Something about the Vandals seems like they don't belong at the highest division. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the success and popularity of Boise State that makes them look minor in comparison.

Besides the aforementioned ugly dump of a stadium they play in, the real reason is because they don't belong at the highest division. They saw BSU moving up to FBS years ago and demanded that they be allowed to move up too, despite lacking the infrastructure or support to have a successful program at that level. Idaho would be right at home in the FCS, and I don't mean that as an insult.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If this all goes down we have...

-Utah State and San Jose State in the MW

-UTSA and Louisiana Tech in C-USA

-Texas State and UT Arlington in the Sun Belt

This leaves four schools: Denver, Idaho, New Mexico State and Seattle.

Seattle may have the easiest route as the West Coast Conference could open their arms to another old friend (they already did with U. of the Pacific).

Denver would be a great fit in the Summit League. Yeah, they would have trips to Michigan and Indiana, but it has to be better then trips to Texas and Louisiana (or now, with trips to as far as Florida).

Idaho and New Mexico State would be the hardest to deal with since they have football. The best route - Join the Mountain West. Here's a possible scenario for what the Conference may look like here:

Mountain Division

-Air Force

-Colorado State

-New Mexico

-New Mexico State

-Utah State

-Wyoming

West Division

-Fresno State

-Hawaii

-Idaho

-Nevada

-San Jose State

-UNLV

Another thing to consider: Boise State's other sports will return to the WAC in 2013. If the WAC falls, they need a home for everything else.

I could see Denver join Seattle in the WCC. Making it a perfect 12 unless BYU leaves down the road. Also maybe Boise State to the Big West for all it's other sports.

Possible WCC travel partners:

Denver-BYU

Gonzaga-Seattle

San Francisco-Santa Clara

St. Mary's-Pacific

Loyola Marymount-Pepperdine

San Diego-Portland

Edited by DarkJourney

Besides the aforementioned ugly dump of a stadium they play in, the real reason is because they don't belong at the highest division. They saw BSU moving up to FBS years ago and demanded that they be allowed to move up too, despite lacking the infrastructure or support to have a successful program at that level. Idaho would be right at home in the FCS, and I don't mean that as an insult.

When they both moved up, Idaho was the better program.

I do agree that Idaho is probabley better off as an FCS program. Rob Akey needs to get his stuff together, otherwise, I could see them dropping down in about 2-3 years.

DarkJourney: Denver in the WCC wouldn't fit because I think Denver is a public school (everyone in the WCC is private) and I get the feeling that the WCC doesn't want to go too far out of it's range. Yeah, they got BYU. But BYU fits in with the other key factors in the WCC. I feel that Denver ought to go to the Summit League because it is a better natural fit for them.

DarkJourney: Denver in the WCC wouldn't fit because I think Denver is a public school (everyone in the WCC is private) and I get the feeling that the WCC doesn't want to go too far out of it's range. Yeah, they got BYU. But BYU fits in with the other key factors in the WCC. I feel that Denver ought to go to the Summit League because it is a better natural fit for them.

Denver's a private school.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.