Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the Cotton always hosting the Big12/SEC winners in the first round. Same with the Rose always having BIG/Pac Champs. It will still get Championship ratings. Let the Orange, Sugar and Fiesta rotate. Tradition is kept/made.

I have a feeling Big 10 may snag Maryland if they can land ND. Big 12 gets FSU, Clemson, VT and Louisville.

All fun speculation except for FSU. Again, i'd bet the farm five years from now they wont be in the ACC. Big 12 has a chance to get the biggest Florida school available. In state foes from the rival conference is great with that new bowl contract.

One more random thought. I think the three other big conferences are cheering for the Big 12 to take FSU and whomever. They want the Big Four Empire. This will get done.

TCU and Utah were the lucky ducks in all of this.

In other news, Boise State is officially committed to the Big East.

Good news for two reasons: firstly, this likely means their Olympic sports have found a home, and secondly, this puts them in position to be cherrypicked by an Elite 4 conference when they inevitably circle the Big East and ACC like vultures.

Who would take Boise State? Honestly.

The Pac-12 and Big Ten prefer that their members not be "community colleges" in terms of academics. BSU ain't going there.

The SEC could essentially bring in any school they want. There are tens of schools higher in the pecking order than Boise State. Ain't going there.

The Big XII wouldn't take Boise State at the conference's lowest point. Why would they take them now that they seem to be on the uptick?

Boise State is basically in the same position pre-realignment....except now they're paying more in road game expenses by playing a Big East schedule, for a conference that's got about as high a ceiling as the WAC and Mountain West has.

Boise State simply doesn't add much of anything to these elite conferences. The Big East took on Boise State as football-only as an act of desperation to keep their bigger programs in place. With Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia already gone, that move clearly didn't work.

Once the Big East falls apart, Boise State will be worse off than they were before.

Are Virginia Tech and Virginia joined at the hip?

What happens to BYU?

BYU wont be in the big 4. Their no Sunday play really hurts them. I don't know the deal with VT/UVA. I noticed myself that no one in the media is counting them as a packaged deal. Great question.

Texas still prefers a ten team conference for a few reasons. First, they realize that more teams does not equate to more money per team. Secondly, they really do not want a conference title game as it places them (or any other team) in double jeopardy. The (Texas) had to have had a say on any further expansion and the equal revenue sharing so that they could keep the $300M for the TLN.

On the other side, Texas president William Powers did say this to USA Today:

"We may get to a point ? I want to underline the word may ? where many schools are really not in a position to compete at the level of the Floridas and the Notre Dames and the Texases and the USCs," he says. "Like any competitive business, being in it and not really being in the game, you can get hurt. Will there be some restructuring? I am not a fan of some national league, but we may end up with 50 schools in (the upper football division of the NCAA's) Division I."

As for Maryland to the B1G, they would become the most subsidized program in the conference by a large margin.

Sounds like Texas is saying "I don't want to but since you are twisting my arm." I'm excited! I think FSU is a done deal. It is just a matter of who goes with them and how many. Today I am expecting just two teams but they can change in an hour. I think this is great for CFB....if your team made it.

Heh, just heard the AD and BOT told the FSU prez that he would not be needed in this decision.

Are Virginia Tech and Virginia joined at the hip?

What happens to BYU?

BYU wont be in the big 4. Their no Sunday play really hurts them. I don't know the deal with VT/UVA. I noticed myself that no one in the media is counting them as a packaged deal. Great question.

Tech wanted ACC membership forever. They will ride that thing out until the bitter end. Virginia seems happy there too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Heh, just heard the AD and BOT told the FSU prez that he would not be needed in this decision.

Enjoy hiring a new President after this. Granted finding one is going to be hard.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Enjoy hiring a new President after this. Granted finding one is going to be hard.

I wonder how much of his pro ACC rant was a PR directed move by the emperor...I mean the BOT. Anyone who knows how these decisions are made knew he had no say. The BOT has all the power. Remember, the prez and AD told Bobby he could stay as long as he wanted. The BOT's said GTFO old man.

Interesting tweet from Corey Fravel.

"My sources confirm an agreement in principle has been reached for Clemson to join the Big12"

Super conferences are coming?? Some smoke about the SEC talking to VT and NC State.

And now a lot of people are saying FSU is in.

While Texas was not for expansion, OU president David Boren was openly quoted to be for it in October, it the was best for the conference.

I think when it is all said and done you will find out that FSU and the Big 12 has been talking for awhile. I think FSU gave the ACC a chance but the new contract was crap. FSU said, c-ya!

"My sources confirm an agreement in principle has been reached for Clemson to join the Big12"

Super conferences are coming?? Some smoke about the SEC talking to VT and NC State.

This is gonna be a stupid question, but what value does NC State bring to any conference expansion, really? Their football hasn't been that good and the rest of their athletic program's mediocre, plus they aren't making that much money from what I understand, so it's not like there's that much to gain by adding them. I mean I guess there's the research triangle deal with them, but wouldn't that make UNC and Duke way more valuable?

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

This is gonna be a stupid question, but what value does NC State bring to any conference expansion, really? Their football hasn't been that good and the rest of their athletic program's mediocre, plus they aren't making that much money from what I understand, so it's not like there's that much to gain by adding them. I mean I guess there's the research triangle deal with them, but wouldn't that make UNC and Duke way more valuable?

Footprints and what not. Feel the need to get the NC market. Duke & UNC want basketball number one. Big East at ACC has decided to go that route. Will they work together? Anyways, Duke and UNC see things the way Swofford does. That is why FSU is pissed.

For better or for worse SEC schools are seen as academic slums by their peers. As Duke and UNC have pretensions towards something less slumlike academically, they will never answer the phone when the SEC calls. Same reason Texas won't.

Today, we are all otaku.

Hey y'alls. Super excited to make losing to :censored: ing Virginia an annual affair. Let's bring in Wake Forest and speed up their efforts to pass Indiana in all-time winning percentage while we're at it.

Today, we are all otaku.

Hey y'alls. Super excited to make losing to :censored: ing Virginia an annual affair. Let's bring in Wake Forest and speed up their efforts to pass Indiana in all-time winning percentage while we're at it.

Virginia is a good team. Mike London is doing a great job there.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Someone is teasing that Yahoo! is about to break something huge. CFB related but I don't know what. Going to break tonight. Has to be Big 12 expansion or another program done something bad again.

Big FSU news in an hour.

Notre Dame is being wined and dined by the Big 12. Of course the ACC/Big East/Big 10 has been doing this for years.