Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Sweet Bubs avatar.  Surprised I never noticed that before.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Annnnnnnd more from @bluevodreal:

Rumors starting to come out but all are guessing schools. They have done great job of keeping quiet. fsu,nc,gt,nc still front. ND? inplay

Why quiet? ACC and none of the network want this public now. No advantage even the Big10 needs it quiet for now.

50/50 prediction for expansion now 60/40 and picking up steam. 〽️?

Meanwhile, Fox is in the final stages of negotiating its rights deal, and shouldn't expansion be done BEFORE the deals are negotiated?

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 4/20/2016 at 0:05 PM, rams80 said:

Meanwhile, Fox is in the final stages of negotiating its rights deal, and shouldn't expansion be done BEFORE the deals are negotiated?

According to @bluevodreal:

I have not seen the Fox contract but have been told it can change based on certain new entries.

Okl may be in play to Big10. 〽️?

GT NC UVA FSU ND OKL each big 10 member roughly 60 mill payout. Watch NBC in the TV deal opens up ND.〽️?

No deal is done but I would raise to 65% chance on latest info.〽️?

Because said person got lucky once on a blind guess.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

33 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Good move on their part. New Mexico State should follow suit.

That's going to be harder.  NMSU does not have a convenient FCS landing pad that their Olympic Sports are already parked in.

Today, we are all otaku.

12 hours ago, dfwabel said:

In a move which should shock nobody, tomorrow, Idaho is expected to announce their intention to play FCS starting in 2018.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/university-of-idaho/article74259832.html

And the Big Sky football membership swells to 14 now......I think that's too many in FCS. Do we see a Big Sky schism in the future? I don't believe that divisions is plausible for football since they can't have a conference championship game and still participate in the playoffs.

gYH2mW9.png

3 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

And the Big Sky football membership swells to 14 now......I think that's too many in FCS. Do we see a Big Sky schism in the future? I don't believe that divisions is plausible for football since they can't have a conference championship game and still participate in the playoffs.

The article did say they'll go to a divisional format when Idaho joins. This is probably going to be the setup:

North

-Eastern Washington

-Idaho

-Idaho State

-Montana

-Montana State

-North Dakota

-Portland State

South

-Cal Poly

-Northern Arizona

-Northern Colorado

-Sacramento State

-Southern Utah

-UC Davis

-Weber State

As for New Mexico State, there is two options...

-Beg the Mountain West to let them in as a football only member

-Drop to the FCS level and join the Southland (Makes sense in a regional standpoint)

3 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

Since more than one team can be in the FCS football tournament, a championship game is not really necessary. Two seasons ago, NDSU faced Illinois State in the FCS Championship when they never faced each other in the Missouri Valley regular season.

Plus, I highly doubt that the economic capital needed to start up a new conference is really worth it from an administrative standpoint. 

Exactly. The only FCS conference that does a conference title game is the SWAC, which already abstains from the FCS Championship (alongside the MEAC and the Ivy League).

The idea of the Big Sky splitting into two 7 team division comes from, as dfwabel mentioned, getting more teams into the FCS Championship. If there was a way, I'm sure the Big Sky would petition the NCAA to have both division champs earn automatic bids to the FCS Championship starting in 2018.

3 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Eastern Michigan needs to drop down too. 

That has been the rumor.. either drop down a level or get rid of football altogether.

Part of this issue is on the team itself. This program has had absolutely no success whatsoever. What little success they had was back in the 80's... and in today's age, no sane recruit is going to want to play for a school that has no winning tradition, let alone any. If they can start winning on a regular basis, that can help take some of the edge off.

There is the money issue as well, but I would rather defer to dfwabel on that since he knows that far better then I do.

So... here's what happening recently

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2016/05/03/memphis-lobbies-possible-big-12-expansion-spot/83881902/

University of Memphis President M. David Rudd sent a promotional publication — highlighting the finer points of the city and its major university — to University of Texas president Dr. Gregory Fenves in December, showcasing the University of Memphis as a possible Big 12 expansion candidate.

Rudd said the publication, entitled "Memphis Soul of a City," captures “the passion and proud history of Tiger athletics including a historic run by our football program.”

Rudd also told Fenves he would “welcome the chance to connect via phone and discuss in more depth some of the great things going on in Memphis.”

Memphis, Cincinnati, Central Florida, UConn and Houston from the American Athletic Conference are among the schools reportedly lobbying for Big 12 inclusion, along with BYU.

Meanwhile, out of left field....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25576548

Individuals representing Wichita State's athletic interests have approached the Mountain West Conference about membership, multiple sources told CBS Sports.

Led by president John Bardo, Wichita State has been exploring its conference options in both basketball and football. Last year, Bardo commissioned an ongoing feasibility study to bring football back to the athletic program. The school dropped the sport in 1986.

Other possibilities for the Shockers, including the American Athletic Conference and Conference USA, have been mentioned by various sources.

Texas-El Paso has been mentioned as a possible 12th MWC member in basketball (13th in football). Many of the Miners' former WAC partners reside in the Mountain West. The Miners have been in Conference USA since 2005-06.

UTEP officials have stressed there is no formal interest on their part in the Mountain West.

Now, I could see Memphis or Houston or even UCF go into the Big 12 but Wichita State kind of came out of nowhere. I think they won't move without putting football back in but that will cost them a pretty penny if they do. Then again, it could be the whole big fish in a small pond issue & hey, extra money if you can get it.

baltimoreravens.png

Memphis put this out for a couple of reasons.

1- Cincinnati released their materials back in February and research recommended for a greater chance (4-5%) to be in the CFP, the Big XII should expand to 12 and return the championship game.

2- Both the Big XII and Pac-12 have their football meetings in Phoenix this week and the Group of 5 conferences tag along.  

3- Wichita State bringing back football would be a minimum of $70 million.

http://ksn.com/2016/02/03/wsu-president-posts-tweet-of-shocker-football-helmet/

They could call one of the Koch Brothers for that though.