Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I'm personally pulling for UCF. I was accepted to attend there and I have rooted for them ever since. I know they were terrible last year but I feel like it's a good (not geographic) fit. I don't really care who else would be added. 

0-12 seems to have hurt their chances. 

I know KU also went 0-12, but they're already in the Big 12! :P

4 hours ago, rickyISking said:

0-12 seems to have hurt their chances. 

I know KU also went 0-12, but they're already in the Big 12! :P

If I were betting, UCF gets in just to try to tap into the Florida market. Both for television and for recruits. Much easier to tell a Florida kid that if you play in Kansas you'll be in Florida once or twice in a four year career where it's easy for friends or family to see you play as a bargaining chip.

I seriously doubt Houston unless that's something Texas wants to keep an in-state rival in the league and help tap into the Houston market with their Longhorn network if there's little coverage there.

8 hours ago, buckeye said:

Or you have ideas like in this article being thrown around...

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/05/10/national-reaction-big-12-expansion-texas-hold-whole-thing-many-teams-add

"He also pitched another unique idea for the Big 12 once it expanded to 24 teams (an admittedly unlikely scenario): The Big 12 should create the first two-tiered power conference. I love the idea of college football promotion and relegation, and it could be applied to one conference. Let's illustrate how it would work. Houston and Navy earn initial promotion into the Big 12's 12-team top tier, based on their 2015 seasons. The other 12 go to the Little 12 (we could call it Big 12 Tier II or whatever sounds better than "Little 12," of course). This immediately adds two Sagarin top-40 teams to the conference lineup."

Connelly's piece was tongue-in-cheek/theoretical in an alternate universe.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

If I were betting, UCF gets in just to try to tap into the Florida market. Both for television and for recruits. Much easier to tell a Florida kid that if you play in Kansas you'll be in Florida once or twice in a four year career where it's easy for friends or family to see you play as a bargaining chip.

I seriously doubt Houston unless that's something Texas wants to keep an in-state rival in the league and help tap into the Houston market with their Longhorn network if there's little coverage there.

Downside of UCF is that it may not help tap into the Florida market that much and the Florida market is a helluvalot out of the way for the rest of the conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Personally, if the Big12 goes to Florida, its a tandem of UCF and USF.  One or the other isn't enough to sway, but together they bring some media leverage (Tampa is #11 and Orlando is #19).

I really think the Big 12 is looking at adding 4, so the Florida pair is 2 and a combo of Cincy and Memphis would bridge the WVU gap.  Also ideally, a tandem in Florida provides a road trip to Florida every other year for recruiting purposes.

While both Tampa and Orlando are among the bottom regarding the top 25 TV markets for college football, I guarantee that they are not really watching that 1PM Big XII now nor will they in the future. Plus, a 3/4 full Raymond James Stadium (on a great day), still doesn't look good on TV*. 

*-Even though USF may actually get to partner with the county where the MoSI property sits across Fowler Ave.from campus for a mixed-use development which may include a stadium.

17 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Don't forget that Houston used to play in a conference with Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU.  I would think Houston's got a really good shot at getting accepted into the Big XII.

Memphis would be that bridge to West Virginia.  As would Cincinnati.  I don't know who that 14th school would be...BYU has their restrictions (which isn't too big a hurdle), and both Colorado State and UCF/USF seem, at least to me, to be worthless pick-ups.  Nothing against them, but I see no excitement in gaining CSU and either USF/UCF.

41 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Don't forget that Houston used to play in a conference with Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU.  I would think Houston's got a really good shot at getting accepted into the Big XII.

Memphis would be that bridge to West Virginia.  As would Cincinnati.  I don't know who that 14th school would be...BYU has their restrictions (which isn't too big a hurdle), and both Colorado State and UCF/USF seem, at least to me, to be worthless pick-ups.  Nothing against them, but I see no excitement in gaining CSU and either USF/UCF.

I would think USF and UCF have a better chance at joining the Big XII, than Houston.  I think they have enough Texas viewers and would want to suck up as many Florida viewers as possible.

3 hours ago, CLEstones said:

I would think USF and UCF have a better chance at joining the Big XII, than Houston.  I think they have enough Texas viewers and would want to suck up as many Florida viewers as possible.

To be blunt, not many in the state of Florida care about UCF or USF.  Even fewer folks in the state of Florida care about the Big XII.  A Texas-UCF game right now wouldn't get any more eyeballs on the TV as it would if it were a conference game.  And there'd be no appeal for a USF-Kansas State game.

With the Big XII, everything funnels through Texas.  Texas wants and has two things: a bigger portion of the pie and the most power.  Texas would only agree to expansion if their wheels get greased by whomever...see TCU and how they support Texas's wishes in everything.  "Ok Houston, you want to join us in the big leagues?  You'll do it under two conditions: We get your vote on anything, and instead of our pie slice getting smaller, use the market of Houston as your revenue source."

3 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

To be blunt, not many in the state of Florida care about UCF or USF.  Even fewer folks in the state of Florida care about the Big XII.  A Texas-UCF game right now wouldn't get any more eyeballs on the TV as it would if it were a conference game.  And there'd be no appeal for a USF-Kansas State game.

With the Big XII, everything funnels through Texas.  Texas wants and has two things: a bigger portion of the pie and the most power.  Texas would only agree to expansion if their wheels get greased by whomever...see TCU and how they support Texas's wishes in everything.  "Ok Houston, you want to join us in the big leagues?  You'll do it under two conditions: We get your vote on anything, and instead of our pie slice getting smaller, use the market of Houston as your revenue source."

Houstons a huge hotbed for recruits and I don't think the other Texas schools would like it if there was an available P5 school in Houston for recruits.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

2 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Houstons a huge hotbed for recruits and I don't think the other Texas schools would like it if there was an available P5 school in Houston for recruits.

Cougar High cannot sign every area 4/5* player every signing period.

Overall, there is more $$$ for the Big XII if the College Football Playoff is expanded to 8 teams than the 4-10% CFP participation increase under the current system. Moving to 8 conference games will make the Big XII lose $$$ in the long run as Baylor, KU, and Iowa St. won't pay to play a good team in that extra game. They will schedule a :censored:ty team to earn the revenue for Homecoming.

Well, any decision which Big XII presidents/chancellors were going to take next week may take a turn for the worse by the end of business today as reports have Baylor President Ken Starr being fired (or possibly reassigned).

Starr was one of three presidents on the Big XII's "Composition Committee" along with WVU's Gordon Gee and OU's David Boren.  Plus, if fired, there would be three interim Presidents/Chancellors at Big XII schools for next Friday (Baylor, K-State, and Texas Tech)

EDIT: Looks like Starr has another week and a half, as Baylor wants to make an announcement by next Friday.

On 5/24/2016 at 1:23 PM, dfwabel said:

Well, any decision which Big XII presidents/chancellors were going to take next week may take a turn for the worse by the end of business today as reports have Baylor President Ken Starr being fired (or possibly reassigned).

Starr was one of three presidents on the Big XII's "Composition Committee" along with WVU's Gordon Gee and OU's David Boren.  Plus, if fired, there would be three interim Presidents/Chancellors at Big XII schools for next Friday (Baylor, K-State, and Texas Tech)

EDIT: Looks like Starr has another week and a half, as Baylor wants to make an announcement by next Friday.

Baylor is a hypocritical college.  They make it difficult for their agnostic and atheist students - a nephew received his Bachelors and Masters in Science from the school but was constantly being harassed by students and officials for his refusal to attend "Christian" and Bible study courses - yet they allow the sexual assaults on women.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

5 hours ago, Needschat said:

Baylor is a hypocritical college.  They make it difficult for their agnostic and atheist students - a nephew received his Bachelors and Masters in Science from the school but was constantly being harassed by students and officials for his refusal to attend "Christian" and Bible study courses - yet they allow the sexual assaults on women.  

To further add, employment/even getting an interview is conditional upon filling out an affidavit of faith.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Big 12 adding a conference championship, may not expand. So that means two divisions of 5 teams.

Seems stupid to me.

Probably not... There are two ways the Big 12 can go with this.

Plan A: Split into two five team divisions (with the round robin). This is what the SWAC does

Plan B: Don't split into divisions, and let the top two meet in the title game. This is what the D-II Northeast 10 did for sometime.

39 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

Big 12 adding a conference championship, may not expand. So that means two divisions of 5 teams.

Seems stupid to me.

A $26-8MM move isn't that stupid when you're chances to get into the CFP increase by 10%.