Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

44 minutes ago, MBurmy said:

If BYU is denied, why don't they kick out Baylor or TCU as well?  Both are also Christian colleges whose sponsoring faiths have similar stances on LGBT issues...

Might want to read more about the Disciples of Christ (TCU's affiliation). The Disciples even moved last year's convention from Indiana over Gov. Mike Pence's (and others) religious freedom bill and they're BASED in Indianapolis.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/01/disciples-christ-cancels-indy-convention-religious-freedom-law/70783446/

I'll even give you a link from the very right leaning Newsmax.

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/636073

4 hours ago, MBurmy said:

If BYU is denied, why don't they kick out Baylor or TCU as well?  Both are also Christian colleges whose sponsoring faiths have similar stances on LGBT issues...

lol TCU isn't really a "Christian school" like BYU, Baylor, or SMU. It's affiliated with the Disciples of Chirst but they have no say in the governance of the school. And even if they did, the Disciples of Christ are accepting of homosexuality and even allow LGBT individuals to be ordained ministers

Currently the only religious requirement at the school is that undergrads must take a single one semester class of their choice on a religion. Could be Christianity, could be Islam, could be Buddhism, could be the usual suspect of Intro to World Religions,  etc.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Big XII has narrowed it down...to 17 schools!!  SMDH.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17281618/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-interview-17-schools-expansion

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby will conduct video conferences with 17 schools that have contacted the league about being considered as expansion candidates, sources told ESPN.

Sources also said it's "becoming less and less likely" that the league will expand to 14 teams. The most likely scenario is that the Big 12 will stay at 10 teams or only add two schools for a 12-team league with two six-team divisions, sources said.

35 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

There may be 17 candidates but let's be honest, only 4 or 5 have any kind of shot at all.

Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, South Florida, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU and New Mexico plus three yet to be named is more illustrative of the current members desiring to take the low bidders.

It's more fun to try to guess the three unnamed schools: SDSU? Navy? Air Force? Southern Miss? Northern Illinois? Fresno St.?

New Mexico State as an extreme dark horse.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 8/12/2016 at 11:49 AM, rams80 said:

New Mexico State as an extreme dark horse.

I still think NMSU should join C-USA...opens up the West and the rivalry with UTEP would be a conference one!

bYhYmxh.png

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:39 AM, AstroBull21 said:

I really think Air Force is one of those three.  Maybe the remaining three are the military academies.

Navy and Army to the Big XII probably wouldn't happen due to travel costs. Their budgets come from Congress. I'd think every division 1 school in Texas and the Sun Belt is probably on the list. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

With Army and Navy, I don't think there is any great interest in upgrading their other sports to upper level Division I standards . . . and I doubt the rest of the Big XII schools have any interest in adding schools with 5,000 +/- seat basketball arenas.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Having a team in the Sun Belt join the Big XII just seems like the longest of long-shots to me.

With the LBGT groups pushing to keep BYU out of the Big XII, I believe that will be the determining factor in keeping them out, which is too bad because I think BYU would be a decent fit.

Besides, IMHO, the conference needs to go a little more eastern and a little less western to help bridge the gap between West Virginia & the rest of the pack. Cincinnati would most certainly help this, which is why I think they will be the 11th team. As for the 12th, it's a bit of a toss up between Houston & Memphis. I'd like to see Memphis to add a bit of variety, but Houston is a much better fit. Cincinnati & Houston it is.

Then again, this could all be pointless discussion in the event they say "LOL Nope" to the 17 candidates.  

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 10:06 AM, dfwabel said:

It's 18 applications and the four unnamed school came to light.

The four are/were (per McMurphy):

San Diego State

Northern Illinois

Air Force

Arkansas State

Arkansas State - Gets you into SEC territory but not sure they'll be competitive for at least 5 years.

Air Force - Obviously only brings in football, basketball is hit and miss. Would be a bit of a middle finger to BYU though.

San Diego State - Gets you into California and they'll be middle of the pack rather than bottom of the table.

Northern Illinois  - Would pretty much kill the MAC. They leave and I'm certain you'll see the remaining teams start dropping down to 1-AA.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

One of my thoughts on conference expansion is that the BEST conferences are contiguous (at least on the basis of state presence) while the worst are disjointed and spread all over the place. Nothing scientific, it just seems and looks right. Some positive examples:

Big 10:

Big_10_Map.svg.png

SEC:

SEC-USA-states2011.png

The Big XII (and both of its predecessors, the Big 8 and Southwest Conference) used to be that way,  but now they are not:

Big_12_Conference_Map.svg.png

The AAC has to be the worst:

American_Athletic_Conference_State_Map_2015.png

Strangely enough, Conference USA -- which started off as a loose amalgam of teams all over the place -- has now become a contiguous one:

:C-USA-USA-states.PNG

Damn Maryland for leaving the ACC and giving them that narrow gap between Virginia and Pennsylvania:

ACC_overview_map_2012-13a.png

• Like 2

It is what it is.

I still think the ACC should've given West Virginia an invite after Pitt and Syracuse came in. So many long time rivals were already there waiting. Adding one "dumb school" to the conference wouldn't have hurt lol

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I still think the ACC should've given West Virginia an invite after Pitt and Syracuse came in. So many long time rivals were already there waiting. Adding one "dumb school" to the conference wouldn't have hurt lol

They waited it out and got a better brand in Louisville.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Strangely enough, Conference USA -- which started off as a loose amalgam of teams all over the place -- has now become a contiguous one:

:C-USA-USA-states.PNG

Technically it's contiguous but Boca Raton and Miami aren't close to Birmingham in the slightest. 

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football