Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

5 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Memphis is out ans has been for a week.

Their administration is using the nondisclosure agreement with the Big XII as their reason not to admit it publicly.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/University-of-Memphis-not-among-Big-12-expansion-finalists-ESPN-reports-392168051.html?d=mobile

ESPN also said BYU was out but apparently they're still in. Also, Iowa State's student government sent a letter to the Big XII offices saying they are against BYU coming in due to their honor code rules.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/politics_and_administration/campus/article_1ddc04ba-7576-11e6-8cbb-9f29101a3b2f.html

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Last Saturday, McMurphy gave the "alleged 11" who were going to Dallas.

Air Force
BYU
UCF
Cincinnati
UConn
Colorado St.
Houston
Rice
South Florida
SMU
Tulane

CBS's Gary Parrish, who lives in Memphis, acknowledged that the Tigers didn't make the cut due to academics.

I agree that Cincinnati is all but a given to create a tandem in that pocket of the world with W Va.

Houston makes sense, but I get the feeling that if you're only adding the Ohio market in this expansion since you already own Texas, the possibility of gaining the Florida market by taking Central and South Florida as 13 & 14 would add to the deal. 

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I agree that Cincinnati is all but a given to create a tandem in that pocket of the world with W Va.

Houston makes sense, but I get the feeling that if you're only adding the Ohio market in this expansion since you already own Texas, the possibility of gaining the Florida market by taking Central and South Florida as 13 & 14 would add to the deal. 

UCF and USF won't deliver Florida in any meaningful way.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

4 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

So did TCU and West Virginia deliver anything in a meaningful way?

TCU = Dallas/Ft Worth market**

West Virginia = a steady football program which has had success and a large following

** - I think the whole market is a little overblown (see Rutgers) but some fund it a critical part of the process

Just now, jmac11281 said:

TCU = Dallas/Ft Worth market**

West Virginia = a steady football program which has had success and a large following

** - I think the whole market is a little overblown (see Rutgers) but some fund it a critical part of the process

Market means much more when you get $$$ from cable households, with a network thus the B1G move was right.

DFW Metroplex is full of Texas Exs and other Big XII grads besides TCU

I am really feeling like this expansion may be the beginning of the conversion of the Longhorn Network to Big XII Network or something in that direction.

Texas and possibly Oklahoma could receive concessions in the new deal, and if I was Cincy, Houston and any other remaining candidate I would offer to take less $$$ for a set period of time.  That decreased amount would still most likely be more of a cut than the current cuts in The American.

14 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

I am really feeling like this expansion may be the beginning of the conversion of the Longhorn Network to Big XII Network or something in that direction.

Texas and possibly Oklahoma could receive concessions in the new deal, and if I was Cincy, Houston and any other remaining candidate I would offer to take less $$$ for a set period of time.  That decreased amount would still most likely be more of a cut than the current cuts in The American.

This will probably be a requirement for any teams coming in. Rutgers and Maryland take less from the Big Ten for a set amount of time before getting a full share.That's why the ACC bumped up their exit fees to keep from losing teams to the Big Ten and Big XII.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

This will probably be a requirement for any teams coming in. Rutgers and Maryland take less from the Big Ten for a set amount of time before getting a full share.That's why the ACC bumped up their exit fees to keep from losing teams to the Big Ten and Big XII.

Taking the lowest bidder has been a point of discussion since July, even on this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems that Dr. Boren has changed his mind.

It appears now that Boren has come full circle on his expansion beliefs, adding another layer of uncertainty to the already muddled Big 12 expansion exploration process. Interviews with multiple sources around the Big 12 in the past week revealed a belief around the league that Boren has reversed course on his view of expansion. Boren had always been thought to favor BYU, but adding the Cougars still appears untenable because of the potential furor over their "honor code", which deems "homosexual behavior" as a violation.

http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-expansion-oklahoma-sooners-texas-longhorns-david-boren-2018459914.html

Dr. Boren to ESPN's Jake Trotter:

"I do not know where the speculation came from, but Oklahoma has not yet taken a position on expansion."

T. Boone went after Boren like anti-fracking families go after him.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/sports/bohls-osus-pickens-disses-boren-gundy-formula-1-is/nsgN8/

. T. Boone Pickens said he likes the current 10-team Big 12 configuration the way it is and would prefer adding Houston and SMU if the league grows, but that’s “probably unlikely.” The Oklahoma State benefactor said on our “On Second Thought” podcast that Oklahoma president David Boren has been wishy-washy about expansion and that “maybe it’s time for David to retire.” Some outlets reported Tuesday that the mercurial Boren is saying he’s decided against expansion, but Boren clarified his stance, saying “Oklahoma has not yet taken a position on expansion.” Pickens, who has given $500 million to his alma mater, said, “I’ve known David forever. He likes to talk. He gets a little bit confused sometimes.”

• 2 weeks later...

Big XII doesn't seem interested in extending Grant of Rights past 2025.

Bob Bowlsby:

"(The conference) will extend the grant of rights when there is reason to. Right now, we're not talking about extending any of our TV agreements. There wouldn't be any reason to do it right now."

Doomed.

Let's just repeat the 90s and have the bigger Big XII and AAC teams break off and form the Big XXIV.

Then the remnants can scrape together and form the 'Murica Conference or something.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

58 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Big 12 dissolve into the other 4 power confs, get a move on the 4 super confs.  Jigger some geographic logic if we must, just get on with it.

Big Ten gets Iowa State and Kansas State no takebacks.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png