Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

9 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Not so coincidentally, a bunch of those have at least some relationship with the MAC. All except the Cure Bowl, I believe. Poor MAC.

Edit: and Arizona

And that wasn't my point with removing those, just coincidence.

It feels like bowl games are like participation trophies.  It makes it more special if there is a supply and demand kind of thing.

4 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

And that wasn't my point with removing those, just coincidence.

It feels like bowl games are like participation trophies.  It makes it more special if there is a supply and demand kind of thing.

The supply/demand is in the TV inventory.

Of the games listed by you earlier, all games are wholl owned/operated by ESPN, but for the Arizona Bowl which is now under local (Tucson) ownership.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

It's a strange move, if you ask me. They don't have a FBS home (yet) and it puts the Big South in a pickle in terms of the automatic qualifier. Right now, it's just 6 schools (4 current members plus Monmouth and Kennesaw State as associates). They'll add Campbell for the 7th school (5th current member) but lose Liberty putting them back at square one.

Even with North Alabama's addition, it still means only six full time members. Maybe they might want to talk to Jacksonville and Stetson since they would have homes in the Big South.

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's a strange move, if you ask me. They don't have a FBS home (yet) and it puts the Big South in a pickle in terms of the automatic qualifier. Right now, it's just 6 schools (4 current members plus Monmouth and Kennesaw State as associates). They'll add Campbell for the 7th school (5th current member) but lose Liberty putting them back at square one.

Even with North Alabama's addition, it still means only six full time members. Maybe they might want to talk to Jacksonville and Stetson since they would have homes in the Big South.

May even need to consider inviting West Georgia up from Division 2.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

28 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Why?

It's likely too difficult to raise the necessary funds annually.

Last year, the state of Georgia capped the amount which athletic departments can be subsidized by the general fund and student fee monies.

http://www.myajc.com/news/local-education/georgia-regents-cap-student-funding-athletic-programs/dDOOVuLdOVWwxI5b1B5xUJ/

On 2/16/2017 at 7:17 PM, 4_tattoos said:

No. It still would put the Big South in the same pickle because a team moving up is considered ineligible. Not to mention what dfwabel said about the state placing a cap on funding via fees and the general fund.

Jacksonville and Stetson, on the other hand, don't have those hurdles to deal with.Thanks to the alliance between the Atlantic Sun and the Big South, should those two schools move up to play scholarship football, they have a home. It's a win-win for both sides.

On 2/23/2017 at 8:03 AM, Seadragon76 said:

No. It still would put the Big South in the same pickle because a team moving up is considered ineligible. Not to mention what dfwabel said about the state placing a cap on funding via fees and the general fund.

Jacksonville and Stetson, on the other hand, don't have those hurdles to deal with.Thanks to the alliance between the Atlantic Sun and the Big South, should those two schools move up to play scholarship football, they have a home. It's a win-win for both sides.

Jacksonville won't do it. That's a big reason why Kerwin Bell isn't the coach there anymore. He claims they told him they'd start to offer scholarships and reneged on that.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 1 month later...

Time to bring this thread back to life with news that Wichita State may leave the Missouri Valley for the American.

This has nothing to do with money, I think. It's about prestige and tournament bids. Wichita State has made the last six tournaments, yet the MVC is traditionally a one bid league unless another school does well.

If this move happens, the MVC may want to look at someone for a 10th school and I may have the solution to that... St. Louis.

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Time to bring this thread back to life with news that Wichita State may leave the Missouri Valley for the American.

This has nothing to do with money, I think. It's about prestige and tournament bids. Wichita State has made the last six tournaments, yet the MVC is traditionally a one bid league unless another school does well.

If this move happens, the MVC may want to look at someone for a 10th school and I may have the solution to that... St. Louis.

This has a lot to do with money. The American gives them east coast eyeballs, notoriety, and the $$$.

The American is looking to renegotiate both their current TV deals since Navy's home games is likely to become part of their inventory in 2018 as the CBSSN deal expires..  Football expires after the 2019 season; basketball after 2020.

Since ESPN lost half its B1G football inventory to FOX/FS1, there is a chance for The American to squeeze out more money from ESPN sooner and get a long term extension.

17 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Big West rejected UCSD's application for membership.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-ucsd-20170406-story.html

It's clear the Big West doesn't want them. Why don't they try to join the WAC? It might not be the best fit overall, but they still would have two other local partners in CSUB and California Baptist.

• Like 1

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

4 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

It's clear the Big West doesn't want them. Why don't they try to join the WAC? It might not be the best fit overall, but they still would have two other local partners in CSUB and California Baptist.

The student referendum was specifically for joining the Big West. Plus, there was an expiration date placed on joining. Be in the Big West by Sept. 15, 2018, or the student approved fee increade is voided.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

The student referendum was specifically for joining the Big West. Plus, there was an expiration date placed on joining. Be in the Big West by Sept. 15, 2018, or the student approved fee increade is voided.

I knew about the expiration date, but I didn't know about the conference-specificity of the referendum. I wonder if they tried to do a general D-1 referendum if it would pass.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

28 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

I knew about the expiration date, but I didn't know about the conference-specificity of the referendum. I wonder if they tried to do a general D-1 referendum if it would pass.

The 2016 referendum was very similar to their previous one in 2012, only a Big West invitation. Only the fee increase amount increases.

The Big West is worried about the UC/CSU balance. UCSD's best hope would be to try to get CSUB to jump from the WAC and to submit a joint bid. Numbers wise I think Hawaii complicates things with there already being an odd number of schools.

VmWIn6B.png