dfwabel

Division 1 College Conference Realignment

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, buzzcut said:

According to this report in the Detroit News, the Horizon League is adding a new school for this season. The report does not specify who it us, but I believe rhymes with Brand Wanyon.

 

Horizon League has schools in Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky, and Illinois.  I don't care how big a travel subsidy check Grand Canyon would promise to write, adding them (without, say, any travel partner at least) would be :censored: ing INSANE.

 

Also Grand Canyon has that "for profit" thing working against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

According to this report in the Detroit News, the Horizon League is adding a new school for this season. The report does not specify who it us, but I believe rhymes with Brand Wanyon.

Would someone just take the WAC behind the barn and pull the trigger already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grand Canyon? OK, whoever is in charge of the Horizon League is on drugs... being that Detroit is part of the conference, I bet that's where they came from.

 

Since basketball and baseball are a priority of the new member, someone like IPFW would be a great fit. They fit very easily within the geographic footprint of the Horizon League and gives them a sixth baseball school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, it's not Grand Canyon. Looks the Horizon League is heading into beautiful Indianapolis. They've invited IUPUI. They're replacing northeast Indiana but not quite Chicago with Indianapolis. Even though this isn't really about TV viewers, it's an upgrade in locale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Geoff said:

Nah, it's not Grand Canyon. Looks the Horizon League is heading into beautiful Indianapolis. They've invited IUPUI. They're replacing northeast Indiana but not quite Chicago with Indianapolis. Even though this isn't really about TV viewers, it's an upgrade in locale.

 

Doesn't make sense. They wanted a baseball school and as far as I know IUPUI doesn't have baseball. They wanted a school with some basketball pedigree and IUPUI doesn't really have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

Doesn't make sense. They wanted a baseball school and as far as I know IUPUI doesn't have baseball. They wanted a school with some basketball pedigree and IUPUI doesn't really have that.

 

They have gotten the second largest campus of the IU system, in the major metropolitan area that the league is headquartered in, and while it doesn't have pedigree, it does have enough resources to, say, cover up any holes in their athletic offerings.

 

Besides, worrying about college baseball in the Great Lakes region is kind of stupid anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

IUPUI has 3 days to make this transition?!?!?

 

Sure... it makes sense in a geographical way. You have all the big cities within the Great Lakes region

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlackBolt3 said:

IUPUI has 3 days to make this transition?!?!?

New fiscal Year starts July 1.

 

The Horizon HQ is in Indianapolis; they were talking for a while. The IU trustees met two weeks ago, so this move was likely made then during Executive Session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

New fiscal Year starts July 1.

 

The Horizon HQ is in Indianapolis; they were talking for a while. The IU trustees met two weeks ago, so this move was likely made then during Executive Session.

Even so, how much transition is actually necessary? Conference schedules are done by the conference, OOC shouldn't be affected.

 

Maybe signage and such, but what else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Even so, how much transition is actually necessary? Conference schedules are done by the conference, OOC shouldn't be affected.

 

Maybe signage and such, but what else?

Budget wise, the application/exit fees and canceled contracts were be set to be paid by Friday. Put every possible expense  with the move on the current year's budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big South will add 2 full members this week.

 

Can't divulge who they are, but one move involves what I'm pretty sure is a first for NCAA D1 athletics.

 

[edit] Did some research and it'll be the second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Big South will add 2 full members this week.

 

Can't divulge who they are, but one move involves what I'm pretty sure is a first for NCAA D1 athletics.

 

[edit] Did some research and it'll be the second.

And the adventure continues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Big South will add 2 full members this week.

 

Can't divulge who they are, but one move involves what I'm pretty sure is a first for NCAA D1 athletics.

 

[edit] Did some research and it'll be the second.

Hmmmmm, can international schools be in the NCAA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Hmmmmm, can international schools be in the NCAA?

Simon Fraser is a D-III

 

And, the second in D-I... they adding a for-profit?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Hmmmmm, can international schools be in the NCAA?

 

Yes.

 

52 minutes ago, LMU said:

Simon Fraser is a D-III

 

Simon Fraser (Burnaby, British Columbia) is a D-II member of the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. While not "international," the University of Puerto Rico has 3 campuses (BayamónMayagüez, and Río Piedras) listed by the NCAA as D-II independents (and they play a handful of games on the US mainland every year), but I'm not entirely sure how all of it works since the rest of their conference (LAI) are apparently not NCAA members. Presumably this is to allow these teams to play on the U.S. mainland and have the games count for both teams. The University of Vancouver, University of Victoria (British Columbia) and the University of the Virgin Islands are all listed by the NAIA as member institutions.

 

I can neither confirm nor deny that this is a red herring. Both members are also pending approval by their individual university presidents, but they're expected to announce Wednesday/Thursday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not entirely sure who it would be, but since we're guessing things, I do believe that Grand Canyon is currently the only for-profit school in D1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crashcarson15 said:

Not entirely sure who it would be, but since we're guessing things, I do believe that Grand Canyon is currently the only for-profit school in D1.

One which comes to mind is Salem University (Salem, WV)...the team's called the Tigers and their colors are green and white.  Currently playing as a D2 Independent, would fit the Big South's footprint quite well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to do a little snooping around after seeing this for the first time... @sc49erfan15 mentioned that one of the schools is a for-profit school, which would fit for Salem. The other school MUST be a football playing school since they're going to lose Liberty and the rumor mill rolling about the possible fate of Presbyterian's football team.

 

There's talks or Tarleton State in Texas moving up, but that's far from the Big South.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

I decided to do a little snooping around after seeing this for the first time... @sc49erfan15 mentioned that one of the schools is a for-profit school, which would fit for Salem. The other school MUST be a football playing school since they're going to lose Liberty and the rumor mill rolling about the possible fate of Presbyterian's football team.

 

I would like to point out that I did not mention (or confirm) that one of the schools is a for-profit.

 

Liberty, yes - they're leaving in football but remaining an associate member in other sports. Campbell is transitioning to scholarship football and will join the Big South (along with associate/transitioning member North Alabama) in 2018. Presbyterian moving to non-scholarship football is all but confirmed - I honestly don't know how they're surviving in D1 in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now