Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

1) Will each Big Tenleven still make more from the BTN and ABC if it expanded to 12 teams?

2) Can you give us some figures to back that up? We're a cynical lot 'round here and generally need numbers to verify these types of claims. :P

The Big Ten Conference’s 10-year deals with CBS and ESPN will produce an average of $9.3 million for each school.
Link
Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed, although Ebersol said the contract is a flat fee and not based on ratings. The current contract that expires in 2010 is reported to be worth $9 million a year.

Link

I couldn't find more detailed info on the ND/NBC contract. It looks like they are getting just slightly under what the Big Ten schools are. So, if they shared the NBC contract with the other teams, everyone would break even. However, adding ND doesn't give BTN the ability to enter a new market. Indiana/Chicagoland is tapped out. Adding, say, Syracuse would bring in the New York market, which would presumably boost revenue, even if it is split 12 ways instead of 11.

EDIT: I missed this in the first link:

It is difficult to make an apples-to-apples comparison between the two conferences because of the incongruity of the length of the deals and their escalating values. But the Big Ten Network could annually pay its schools an average up to $10.2 million each over the 25-year term of its deal with the Big Ten. The deal started this past year with a payment of $6 million to each school and the number could escalate each year, depending on the network’s revenue.

It looks like the Big Ten Schools are each getting about $10 million a year combined from CBS and ESPN as well as $7-10million from the BTN, as opposed to ND's $10 million (plus whatever they get from Big East basketball). That is a big difference.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

1) Will each Big Tenleven still make more from the BTN and ABC if it expanded to 12 teams?

2) Can you give us some figures to back that up? We're a cynical lot 'round here and generally need numbers to verify these types of claims. tongue.gif

The Big Ten Conference's 10-year deals with CBS and ESPN will produce an average of $9.3 million for each school.
Link
Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed, although Ebersol said the contract is a flat fee and not based on ratings. The current contract that expires in 2010 is reported to be worth $9 million a year.

Link

I couldn't find more detailed info on the ND/NBC contract. It looks like they are getting just slightly under what the Big Ten schools are. So, if they shared the NBC contract with the other teams, everyone would break even. However, adding ND doesn't give BTN the ability to enter a new market. Indiana/Chicagoland is tapped out. Adding, say, Syracuse would bring in the New York market, which would presumably boost revenue, even if it is split 12 ways instead of 11.

Wouldn't it enter a lot of new markets due to the national following that ND has? Wouldn't there be demand all over foro BTN?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In the past 8 years, Ohio State and Michigan have only finished 1-2 once. I recognize the fact that overall they're still the two dominant programs and there were a lot of 3rd place (some tied for 2nd, losing the tiebreaker) finishes in that span. But I'm with Infrared here. Let's not decide things under the assumption those two schools are going to play for the championship every year.

Stick them in the same division and play their game the week before the championship and be done with it.

However, in response to resting players, the top two teams in the Big Ten are probably playing for BCS berths, whether it's NCG or not. They're not likely to be okay with a loss.

Really, to me, any system works, and Ohio State-Michigan fans will just have to deal with the results. The only guarantee is that they should always play.

I'm actually not in favor of the championship game, but I know it's gonna happen.

Pitt is such a staple of Big East basketball it would be tough for them to leave.

Syracuse,Pitt and Georgetown that is Big East Basketball. This is more than just CFB and the BCS.

It's all about football for Pitt and Syracuse, Big East football is dead if they lose another team, they can't make that up in basketball money.

Just thought of another reason Pitt might not want to move. Over the past 10 years some of their best basketball recruits have come from NYC. Would these players be less likely to choose Pitt if they aren't going to be playing infront of their hometown fans every year at MSG during the Big East tournament?

Stick them in the same division and play their game the week before the championship and be done with it.

I would be fine with that. My point was, if they were in different divisions (to ensure the "epic" title game matchup), it would suck to have them face off consecutive weeks in their originally scheduled game followed by the BT Title game.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

What about rather than splitting the conference into divisions they would instead play the season as they do now and then at the end of the year the two best teams meet in Indianapolis or Chicago for the Championship game. Do you see that working out in any way?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just thought of another reason Pitt might not want to move. Over the past 10 years some of their best basketball recruits have come from NYC. Would these players be less likely to choose Pitt if they aren't going to be playing infront of their hometown fans every year at MSG during the Big East tournament?

They could make up for it by being in as many NYC area pre-season tourney's along with scheduling the likes of St. John's, and Seton Hall in non-conference games.

Pitt is such a staple of Big East Basketball it would be tough for them to leave.

Syracuse,Pitt and Georgetown that is Big East Basketball. This is more than just CFB and the BCS.

Not sure how old you are, but I'd say that most people would consider Georgetown, Villanova, and probably Syracuse are the staples of the Big East, with UConn knocking at that door due to their recent success. PITT could get there, but until the past few years, they were never really thought of as a core Big East school, and I'm not sure too many Big East (basketball) fans would cry if they weren't there (as long as they got replaced.) As long as the core stays in tact, the conference will survive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What about rather than splitting the conference into divisions they would instead play the season as they do now and then at the end of the year the two best teams meet in Indianapolis or Chicago for the Championship game. Do you see that working out in any way?

The biggest two issues are:

1. You wouldn't play everybody

And more importantly:

2. How would you break ties?

With a divisional format there's always head-to-head games for tiebreakers and you play the relatively same schedule.

6fQjS3M.png

The biggest two issues are:

1. You wouldn't play everybody

And more importantly:

2. How would you break ties?

With a divisional format there's always head-to-head games for tiebreakers and you play the relatively same schedule.

I'm not in favor of the system I just proposed, but I can answer your issues

1. The Big Ten championship is currently awarded without playing everybody. Adding a championship game to the current system and you eliminate sharing the conference title between two teams that didn't play each other. Come to think of it, I wish the NCAA would allow championship games to any conference under the 12 cap in the instance that two teams are tied for the conference title.

2. you break ties using the common opponents formula

but I am in favor of a divisional format. I'm just having a hard time arranging the divisions so that they make sense but are also relatively even while maintaining traditional rivalries.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If it's say Mizzou, then it works perfectly:

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Missouri

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Indiana

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

If it's say Pitt though, it begins to cloud up some more. This is how I would do it to keep the IU/Purdue rivalry together. Also remember that in college basketball, you'd play the teams inside your division twice as opposed to once outside of your division. This is why you cannot split up Michigan and Ohio State (IMO).

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Minnesota

Purdue

Wisconsin

Michigan

Michigan State

Northwestern

Ohio State

Penn State

Pittsburgh

6fQjS3M.png

What's Rutgers supposed to say - "yeah, we really hope they ask us, 'cause we can't wait to leave this crappy league we're in now!"

Means absolutely nothing.

What's Rutgers supposed to say - "yeah, we really hope they ask us, 'cause we can't wait to leave this crappy league we're in now!"

Means absolutely nothing.

Well, yeah. That was my initial reaction, too.

I saw it, so I thought I'd throw it in there.

In fact, all that means to me is that they are considering it. That's what that sounds like.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |