Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

I want no part of this. Nothing against the Big Ten whatsoever, but I like seeing teams in my region on a regular basis. I have friends and family etc. that have ties to Tech, Baylor, Gigem U and so on. I know the almighty dollar rules all in college football (hell, in life period), but the backlash UT would get due to this decision would make the powers that be rethink it. Leave it alone.

Then what about the Pac-10? Every year, UT would play Sooner and the Corps, but just replace Baylor and Texas State with Purdue and Indiana. The Purdue game would be great so we could see who REALLY has the World's Biggest Snare Drum! That intrigues me.

Hey, where's "spammy" with all his inside information since he works directly with a D-1 athletic director? :P]

Guys, the Big Ten is not going to expand, period. The whole conference would have to vote on it, its just not happening. If it did, however, Missouri or Iowa State would be added, just because of geographical location. Texas will stay in the Big 12, and if Texas were to leave, the would join the PAC 11. Thats really all I have to say on this...

Geographical location is precisely why those schools probably won't be added. It's all about marketing these days, and they already sell their channel in and recruit their players from those markets.

Exactly.

spammy, let be spin a hip hop phrase to give you the perspective: "If It Don't Make Dollars...Then It Don't Make Cents". Ames, IA= No dollars and no bigger media markets. Missouri is better in garnering Kansas City, but the Big Ten already has nice media exposure in St. Louis with the University of Illinois.

Lastly, spammy, remember that the conference already put out the press release to let us know that it was considering expansion. The presidents have already signed off on the exploratory phase, so they know what school(s) they have in mind already through private discussions. If they didn't, then there would never have been an original press release.

Please do, The Big Ten will expand and when they do it will be a big name. I am thinking it will be either Pitt, Texas or Notre Dame to be in the mix. As far as your "Pac 11" theory. If and when the Pacific 10 expands, they will not be looking at Texas, they will go with Idaho/Boise State, Nevada/UNLV or BYU/Utah. I've even heard of rumors of Colorado/Colorado State. Just so they can have a travel partner. Please stop trying to sound like a know it all. I know this is a board with opinions, but seriously.

Not to burst your bubble but Idaho, Boise State, UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State & BYU will never be admitted to the Pac-10. I can guarantee that. Colorado & Utah probably to maybe.

Please do, The Big Ten will expand and when they do it will be a big name. I am thinking it will be either Pitt, Texas or Notre Dame to be in the mix. As far as your "Pac 11" theory. If and when the Pacific 10 expands, they will not be looking at Texas, they will go with Idaho/Boise State, Nevada/UNLV or BYU/Utah. I've even heard of rumors of Colorado/Colorado State. Just so they can have a travel partner. Please stop trying to sound like a know it all. I know this is a board with opinions, but seriously.

Not to burst your bubble but Idaho, Boise State, UNLV, Nevada, Colorado State & BYU will never be admitted to the Pac-10. I can guarantee that. Colorado & Utah probably to maybe.

Gary, like me likes to rip spammy, especially outside of his Concepts since he stretches the truth constantly. All of this is not Big Ten relates, but the Pac 10 will try to expand, but their new commissioner needs to realize that they cannot gain a better contract due to the fact that they cannot start earlier than the SEC on CBS gave, and east coast vierers have already made their choices.

(I love my UM girl Tracy Wolfson, but Andrea Joyce had a 4.0 every semester thus was an Angell Scholar at UM.)

Gary, like me likes to rip spammy, especially outside of his Concepts since he stretches the truth constantly. All of this is not Big Ten relates, but the Pac 10 will try to expand, but their new commissioner needs to realize that they cannot gain a better contract due to the fact that they cannot start earlier than the SEC on CBS gave, and east coast vierers have already made their choices.

(I love my UM girl Tracy Wolfson, but Andrea Joyce had a 4.0 every semester thus was an Angell Scholar at UM.)

Right now the Pac-10 are grasping straws. No network, and with an east coast bias with many. Add the fact the MECHANICAL and WAC are becoming better networks, the Pac needs to do something. DJ, this is something I've heard from others in the media where the Pac-10 is looking forward to expansion, just for extra revenue and exposure. They are looking for teams with travel teams that would join their conference. I personally would want them to hold off on expansion for at least 5 years, focus on bettering the conference in whole and focus getting a Pac-10 Network at some point the next couple years.

NO WAY should any of the Colorado schools be a part of this discussion... even the Utah schools are a reach if you ask me. This is just another example of how greed is ruining college football. How can the government be so authoritarian about stepping into other rackets that don't even need their interference, yet be so lax on collegiate sports where it obviously is?

You just don't understand college football. These student athletes and their coaches are what make America great. We can't have government intervention to make them do unconscionable things like play in-state schools, or forgo their exams for playoff games, or hold offseason jobs, or spell their own names in order to pass courses. When you tear at the fiber of college football, you tear at the fiber of America.

Football.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Right now the Pac-10 are grasping straws. No network, and with an east coast bias with many. Add the fact the MECHANICAL and WAC are becoming better networks, the Pac needs to do something. DJ, this is something I've heard from others in the media where the Pac-10 is looking forward to expansion, just for extra revenue and exposure. They are looking for teams with travel teams that would join their conference. I personally would want them to hold off on expansion for at least 5 years, focus on bettering the conference in whole and focus getting a Pac-10 Network at some point the next couple years.

It is not just the Pac 10, but the Big XII is in the same wagon media wise. The Big XII is better off since they can start games at 12 noon Eastern, while the Pac 10 cannot without hurting local fans. The Big XII has deleting media markets; they are the most in trouble. Neither conference can truly "steal" a team or media market and make a real impact. Taking Denver or SLC is not a "coup"; just a little gain if any.

Since UT to the Big Ten is the rumor got started, think about this way. Texas to the Big Ten is really a win/win. The Big Ten gets additional media exposure, cable households (which means $), and revenue. Texas joins the elite research universities (CIC), media presence, and the sports revenue which they provide (plus the BTN will charge more for TX residents).

It makes sense in terms of the Big Ten reaching new markets and Texas joining an elite academic conference, but you know where it doesn't make sense?

1. Location, which coincides with

2. Non-Revenue Sports

The traveling the non-football and basketball teams would be doing would end up being very costly. And if that happens, you can expect some of those sports to get the ax. That's where I see the major pitfall in all this

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

It makes sense in terms of the Big Ten reaching new markets and Texas joining an elite academic conference, but you know where it doesn't make sense?

2. Non-Revenue Sports

The traveling the non-football and basketball teams would be doing would end up being very costly. And if that happens, you can expect some of those sports to get the ax. That's where I see the major pitfall in all this

Amen.

newsig.jpg

2. Non-Revenue Sports

Amen.

With the amount of money the Big Ten makes now, combined with the amount of money they stand

to make with a Texas expansion, even the water polo team can afford to go to matches in Austin in the aforementioned golden carriages drawn by albino penguins.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Does the big 10 require teams to be members in all sports? Could they have a 12-team football league, and then 10 or 11 team other leagues?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does the big 10 require teams to be members in all sports? Could they have a 12-team football league, and then 10 or 11 team other leagues?

There's sports that not all schools compete in because they don't field teams. I don't believe the Big Ten would allow a school to pick and choose some sports as Big Ten and others as not, though. If they field a team, and the Big Ten organizes that sport, then they'll have to be a member.

No. The Big Ten has only has seven schools for field hockey. Not all schools have rowing (women) or wrestling (men). There are only seven field hockey and gymnastics teams on the womens side too.

And only 10 baseball teams. Wisconsin doesn't field one...

Texas Baseball would clean up in the Big Ten though...there hasn't been a Big Ten team in the College World Series since 1984! Texas has been there 11 times in that period...

Texas Baseball would clean up in the Big Ten though...there hasn't been a Big Ten team in the College World Series since 1984! Texas has been there 11 times in that period...

Is that true? That's crazy.

When Illinois seemed to be a contender to make the World Series for a time last year, I knew it was a rarity for the school, but I had no idea just how rare, and for the conference as well.

EDIT: When I said College World Series, I meant the playoff tournament, I think Pat may have meant the final 2 teams. Just wanted to clarify.

Is that true? That's crazy.

When Illinois seemed to be a contender to make the World Series for a time last year, I knew it was a rarity for the school, but I had no idea just how rare, and for the conference as well.

OSU, Michigan, and Minnesota can be good, but if Minnesota will still play in Metrodome (Mall of America Field) I don't know. The year Oregon State won the CWS, they had to beat Michigan in the Super Regionals to get to Omaha. Big Ten Teams are baseball poor since they have to spend the first 25-33% of the NCAA season away from home and in warmer climates. The Gophers used to be able to have an early tournament since they had a dome.

I should rephrase my question.

Does the big 10 require that if you field a team in a sport that they sponsor, that team has to be in the big 10? So if Wisconsin decided to field a baseball team, could they join the Big East for some reason? So could Texas maintain their relationship with the big 12 or whatever leagues their lower-budget sports are in? (assuming of course that the big 12 would want anything to do with them, which they'd be foolish not to.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Does the big 10 require that if you field a team in a sport that they sponsor, that team has to be in the big 10? So if Wisconsin decided to field a baseball team, could they join the Big East for some reason? So could Texas maintain their relationship with the big 12 or whatever leagues their lower-budget sports are in? (assuming of course that the big 12 would want anything to do with them, which they'd be foolish not to.)

Gotcha, like Kentucky plays Men's soccer in C-USA.

Well, in ice hockey (men and women) Big Ten schools play in the CCHA or WCHA, so I would initially say "no". I will talk to those in the depts. who I know on Monday or Tuesday, since Feb. 15 is Presidents Day and generally a state holiday.

Well, in ice hockey (men and women) Big Ten schools play in the CCHA or WCHA, so I would initially say "no". I will talk to those in the depts. who I know on Monday or Tuesday, since Feb. 15 is Presidents Day and generally a state holiday.

That may be different, as the Big Ten does not have hockey (due to only 5 schools fielding teams). I immediately thought of baseball as a sport that Texas may want to keep out of the big ten. I have no idea whether the Big Ten would allow such a thing, but money talks...so they could probably make it happen.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That may be different, as the Big Ten does not have hockey (due to only 5 schools fielding teams). I immediately thought of baseball as a sport that Texas may want to keep out of the big ten. I have no idea whether the Big Ten would allow such a thing, but money talks...so they could probably make it happen.

The Big Ten means money; plain and sumple