Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

For those of you that weren't keeping up with the meetings in south Florida this week......

All parties involved are in favor of a playoff, specifically a 4-team playoff. Over the next two months, the conference commissioners will present two-to-seven options of these four-team models to their respective leagues, with the goal of a consensus being agreed upon by July 4th.

contract

For those of you that weren't keeping up with the meetings in south Florida this week......

All parties involved are in favor of a playoff, specifically a 4-team playoff. Over the next two months, the conference commissioners will present two-to-seven options of these four-team models to their respective leagues, with the goal of a consensus being agreed upon by July 4th.

You forgot one little (or big) thing: The distribution of the money amongst the conferences with a new TV contract.

Then again, if the money is greater and the chief labor is still not getting paid, that may have to be addressed outside of the now allowable extra $2,000 NCAA stipend.

UTSA is leaving the WAC for Conference USA

http://sports.yahoo....nCK58iiz4kcvrYF

Goodnight WAC football. We knew the well, sort of.

With the MWC/C-USA merger basically dead, C-USA is going after even more. (FIU, UNT, and La Tech)

That gunshot you heard was Idaho's AD giving up on this cruel world.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Will the WAC dissolves or go the way of the Big West where it comes to football?

I'm thinking the WAC would go the way of the Big West.

With UTSA, Texas State and Louisiana Tech being potential targets for C-USA, this means that the WAC would be down to four football playing schools (Idaho, New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Utah State). Those schools would need homes for their football programs. I'm certain the Mountain West would be happy to take all four in as football only members (much like former WAC member Hawaii).

Outside of football, they would have those four plus Denver, Seattle and UT-Arlington. This gives them seven members, which is awfully close to the danger zone in terms of conference membership. They would need a member pronto. The answer? Cal State Bakersfield. The Roadrunners are going to be a WAC affiliate member for baseball starting next season, so this would help them get a permanent home in the WAC.

And Utah State and San Jose State are poised to join the Mountain West.

Methinks Idaho and New Mexico State might either move down to FCS or drop football altogether...

I gotta be honest, every time I see an Idaho home game on TV (mostly clips). It has the feel of watching an FCS game. Something about the Vandals seems like they don't belong at the highest division. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the success and popularity of Boise State that makes them look minor in comparison.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Methinks Idaho and New Mexico State might either move down to FCS or drop football altogether...

I gotta be honest, every time I see an Idaho home game on TV (mostly clips). It has the feel of watching an FCS game. Something about the Vandals seems like they don't belong at the highest division. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the success and popularity of Boise State that

makes them look minor in comparison.

They do play in the smallest stadium in FBS if I'm not mistaken.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I gotta be honest, every time I see an Idaho home game on TV (mostly clips). It has the feel of watching an FCS game. Something about the Vandals seems like they don't belong at the highest division. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the success and popularity of Boise State that

makes them look minor in comparison.

They do play in the smallest stadium in FBS if I'm not mistaken.

I was about to say...it's the Kibbie Dome that makes them feel small-time.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

The big thing is where is this new MWC going to get money from since their deal has four years left, is on CBS Sports, and there is a network which they were going to fold q month ago? Any new C-USA has more viable markets/households than any new MWC or western conference. Go on and be smart, Karl Benson. Nice move!

So in 2013 we should have this.....

Conference USA (12)

Alabama-Birmingham

East Carolina

Florida International

Louisiana Tech

Marshall

North Texas

Rice

Southern Mississippi

Texas-El Paso

Texas-San Antonio