Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

And THIS is why I believe that the NCAA's transition rules should be reformed...take away the one-year ban for programs moving from FCS to FBS, and cut the D-II to D-I ban to 2 years.

Seriously, people are gonna see this and think these schools moving up did something wrong.

Umm...Burmy, the waiting period isn't a bad idea. There are a couple of HBCUs in fairly recent memory that thought they could hack the jump, but it turns out they couldn't. One of those is closed completely. There are other tirefires also lurking around the bottom reaches of Division I that probably should not have made the move, but did anyway. I don't think jumps should be made any easier than they already are.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hate to say it, but Rams is right here Burmy.

It takes a lot for a school at the Division II level to jump up to the Division I level. Rams mentioned what went down with Morris Brown and Winston-Salem State was the last school that attempted a move to D-I only to abort and return to D-II.

And it's not just D-I. McMurry tried to make the jump to D-II, but saw the writing on the wall money wise and went back down to D-III.

If anything, the four year transition period makes sense. It give schools enough time to comply with the rules and regulations of Division I. If you can't make it, go back down to D-II, where you might feel like the competition is at your level. For anyone moving to Division II, it is a two year period, but after last year's circus of errors that resulted in many appeals, not many want to take that chance now.

• Like 1

In some of the lower divisions, I can understand why schools may wish to shuffle around from D-II, D-III, etc. At those levels, athletic programs and universities are less funded and they need to do what they can to keep the college's bank account healthy.

But the transfer up from D-II to FCS, or then FCS to FBS, just seem much too big of a challenge for most schools to handle. When you look at some of the recent FBS jumps (App. State, Ga. Southern), they've tended to be fairly successful FCS schools, but they're essentially trading like-for-like by moving up to a lower tier FBS conference like the SunBelt or Conference USA. It's not like UMass is going to suddenly turn into the next Notre Dame, Alabama or Oklahoma.

The ONLY way I see it making sense is that by bumping up to a mid-major conference, they gain a bigger pool of "blue bloods" to play against. A lot of the Power 5 conferences are moving away from scheduling FCS teams (the B1G has set a deadline for 2016), so moving into the low end of FBS would allow them to still play a team like Michigan and get a big pay day. When Nebraska played Southern Miss a few years ago, they originally moved the game from the USM campus to a neutral site, and then again to a home game in Lincoln. USM's athletic department felt they could make more money allowing Nebraska to pack in 90k+ fans and get only a visitor's cut of the take rather than trying to fill their 20k seat stadium in Hattiesburg.

As we get more entrenched in the FBS playoff model and the Power 5 garnering more autonomy away from the NCAA, I can see there being a bigger push for FCS teams to jump up into the SunBelt, MAC, Mountain West, AAC and C-USA, before that option goes extinct and they're stuck.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

They're partially designed to prevent terrible post-season mismatches. Would GaSou have been killed last year? Probably not. But keep in mind that in 2012, UTSA went 8-4 as a member of the WAC while transitioning up from FCS with wins over two D2 schools, two FCS schools, a Texas State squad also transitioning up to FBS, a 1-11 Idaho squad, a 1-11 New Mexico State squad, and a 2-11 South Alabama team.

Think of where an 8-4 WAC team would have landed before and 2012 UTSA would have likely been beaten senseless in their bowl.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

They're partially designed to prevent terrible post-season mismatches. Would GaSou have been killed last year? Probably not. But keep in mind that in 2012, UTSA went 8-4 as a member of the WAC while transitioning up from FCS with wins over two D2 schools, two FCS schools, a Texas State squad also transitioning up to FBS, a 1-11 Idaho squad, a 1-11 New Mexico State squad, and a 2-11 South Alabama team.

Think of where an 8-4 WAC team would have landed before and 2012 UTSA would have likely been beaten senseless in their bowl.

That's exactly why the process for moving needs to be somewhat drawn out and involved. Otherwise, schools might consider dropping a level to build up their wins (and recruiting, etc), then transition back up. The relegation system found in most European soccer leagues just isn't feasible for college football.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 4 weeks later...

Independence is DEAD! Long live Independence:

Yes, NJIT has found a home in the Atlantic Sun. Our long Independence in Basketball nightmare is over.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Yes, NJIT has found a home in the Atlantic Sun. Our long Independence in Basketball nightmare is over.

I'm happy they found a conference...but were the NEC's expectations too lofty for them?

That's not the case... this is easily a marriage of convenience. NJIT needed a home and the Atlantic Sun were a raid or two away from death. This works out big time for both parties.

I'm happy they found a conference...but were the NEC's expectations too lofty for them?

That's not the case... this is easily a marriage of convenience. NJIT needed a home and the Atlantic Sun were a raid or two away from death. This works out big time for both parties.

Well, you can forget about any good rivalries forming now...the NEC would've been CHOCK-full of them.

Here's hoping this move is only temporary and NJIT goes to where it belongs.

bYhYmxh.png

Well, you can forget about any good rivalries forming now...the NEC would've been CHOCK-full of them.

Here's hoping this move is only temporary and NJIT goes to where it belongs.

Actually, Burmy, the NEC probably wouldn't want them because NJIT doesn't play football.

To be honest, based on their status as a public school without football, their most compatible home would likely be the America East Conference.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So long-time independent/headscratcher ("Why is a team in Jersey in the Great West?!") can thank a team barely out of the transition phase from Division II for them having a new home? lol

Fun fact, the Great West's website is still alive for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

http://newsok.com/boren-big-12-should-strive-for-12-team-league/article/5429694

I know it's just one AD talking of expansion, but this would be an interesting decision for the Big 12 to make. I know nothing is even close to being decided, but Oklahoma is a huge part of the Big 12, and they raise some interesting points. Conference realignment rumors are always fun, right? :)

http://newsok.com/boren-big-12-should-strive-for-12-team-league/article/5429694

I know it's just one AD talking of expansion, but this would be an interesting decision for the Big 12 to make. I know nothing is even close to being decided, but Oklahoma is a huge part of the Big 12, and they raise some interesting points. Conference realignment rumors are always fun, right? :)

Actually, it was the university president.

That said, it has been common knowledge that the Big XII had some of their membership visit Cincinnati in last December.

My take: BYU should be option number 1 no matter what.

Yes, travel will be a little difficult. But, as of now, the Cougars are in the literal no man's land in terms of playoff hopes. Being in the Big 12 for football can easily give them a chance to compete for a New Year's Six game on a yearly basis. Plus, the Big XII is just going to ask for football membership so any issues on the 'We don't play on Sundays' front can be deflected.

As for the other team... I think Cincinnati is a nice option. Gives West Virginia a nearby rival.

My take: BYU should be option number 1 no matter what.

Yes, travel will be a little difficult. But, as of now, the Cougars are in the literal no man's land in terms of playoff hopes. Being in the Big 12 for football can easily give them a chance to compete for a New Year's Six game on a yearly basis. Plus, the Big XII is just going to ask for football membership so any issues on the 'We don't play on Sundays' front can be deflected.

As for the other team... I think Cincinnati is a nice option. Gives West Virginia a nearby rival.

Heaven help us if we ever get a Seventh-Day Adventist college in Division I...

• Like 1

bYhYmxh.png

• 2 months later...

I could see Kennesaw State bringing the rest of their programs over and either (or both) Jacksonville or Stetson leaving the Pioneer and going scholarship. Both have been rumored with such a move.

I could see Kennesaw State bringing the rest of their programs over and either (or both) Jacksonville or Stetson leaving the Pioneer and going scholarship. Both have been rumored with such a move.

I'd go with the second option largely because the A-Sun can't survive another raid at this point. Not to mention they've done a partnership with the SoCon for lacrosse... why not a partnership here and, in the case of the Big South, throw in Campbell from the Pioneer to boot?

Now, you get a Big South with 5 current members (Campbell, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, Liberty and Presbyterian) and 4 associate members (Jacksonville, Kennesaw State, Monmouth and Stetson)