Rebranding the MLB....

elliott

I really like the updated wordmark. I also like the color scheme. I think it looks great, especially because it's a re-brand. The only thing that I think needs to be edited is the thickness of the stroke on the numbers. They're way too bold right now.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I attempted another go at this including red. Here are the new primary and secondary logos.

cubs2010_12.gif

The jerseys get a little bit more of a tweak. You'll notice that on the home and away, the red nameplate always matches the red text on either the chest logo or wordmark. Same goes for the alternate. I kept the bp exactly the same, it still doesn't have any red in it. I elected to keep the cap logos blue on blue, however I switched the road cap to a light blue C to keep all 3 colors in there. Now, if you don't like these cap logos as much I can do another with a red C, but that reminded me too much of the current uniforms and I wanted to continue the rebrand feel.

cubs2010_13.gif

cubs2010_14.gif

I also toned down the outline on the numbers.

Here are some bigger versions of the elements....

Home cap | Road/alt cap | BP cap | Road wordmark | BP wordmark

SO yeah, tell me if this is an improvement or not, I liked the last version too, but I care about your opinions, not mine. Thanks to the 5 or 10 consistent posters in this thread, i appreciate it, but I'd also love to hear from all the people who look but don't post.

I love it. You integrated red very conservatively and carefully. I would have liked a red C on the cap, but I understand why you didn't do it, and of course having the baseball in red makes perfect sense.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Now THESE look like the Cubs! Although I have to agree with the people that are saying it feels like less of a rebrand now. I think you could get away with using less red... like maybe only use it for the front numbers. I mean if it works for the Dodgers...

Ok, I attempted another go at this including red. Here are the new primary and secondary logos.

cubs2010_12.gif

The jerseys get a little bit more of a tweak. You'll notice that on the home and away, the red nameplate always matches the red text on either the chest logo or wordmark. Same goes for the alternate. I kept the bp exactly the same, it still doesn't have any red in it. I elected to keep the cap logos blue on blue, however I switched the road cap to a light blue C to keep all 3 colors in there. Now, if you don't like these cap logos as much I can do another with a red C, but that reminded me too much of the current uniforms and I wanted to continue the rebrand feel.

cubs2010_13.gif

cubs2010_14.gif

I also toned down the outline on the numbers.

Here are some bigger versions of the elements....

Home cap | Road/alt cap | BP cap | Road wordmark | BP wordmark

SO yeah, tell me if this is an improvement or not, I liked the last version too, but I care about your opinions, not mine. Thanks to the 5 or 10 consistent posters in this thread, i appreciate it, but I'd also love to hear from all the people who look but don't post.

Okay I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, and this latest update has inspired me to comment. Love the logos, love the uni design. Very very nice. A few tweaks I would make is first unify the number colors on the home and roads. On that note I would make all the caps the dark blue color. I think keeping the lighter blue as purely an accent color would look best. I would also leave the "C" red on the BP cap. And I LOVE that road alt. Perfection.

Overall a very nice job in updating what is as close to untouchable an identity as you can find.

Ok moving on now to the Rangers. after the last conservative concept, we are departing from the norm a lot more.

First the primary and secondary....

rangers2010_1.gif

Now I think the first thing you will recognize is the large change in color. Dark brown first, then a lighter brownish gold, and finally accents of red. I think the scheme gives an exclusive Texas flare. I experimented with a color in place of the goldish that was more light brown with no yellow in it. However I decided to take a chance and go with this fairly unique look. These two logos are fairly similar, with, the leftmost being the primary as it brings in the addition of text compared to the other logo. You can see the base text shape here of a strongly serifed block with a south west type mid pointed serif. The base of the logo is a sheriff's badge, with a baseball in the middle of the same simple style.

I wanted to also make some uniforms with a Texas feel. The striping is thick and makes the lighter color show up. The white panel on the front of the home cap is an attempt at something retro ish but the makes the clean white of the home stand out. The cap logo (road) is actually the first logo I came up with in this concept. The serifed T is inspired by what I think are the original uniforms the team wore. But the tonal gold is another south western element that I would say is inspired by the Rosewood family of fonts. The wordmarks follow the same theme. Home says Rangers and road says Texas, naturally. I elected to keep the uniforms really simple, it lacks front numbers and the home and away do not have patch logos (most of my concepts seem to).

rangers2010_2.gif

I think I ended up liking the alternate the most. A brown jersey would certainly be unique to the league, I kept the dark brown around the lighter shade on the sleeves to keep the continuity and to eliminate the white from the jersey. I left the thick brown outer stroke around the text on the wordmark. I think the red undershadow popping against the brown backdrop ends up looking decent when paired with the cap logo of the same design. The alternate can be worn at home or on the road. Finally we come to the red bp jersey. Originally I had this as brown with a contrast of mustard and white, but no red. However, I didn't like the lack of a color that I think really helps the concept. So I scrapped the original and went to a red base with this wordmark. You'll notice that the bp cap logo changes to a white outline to match the white shadow on the jersey. I thought another all brown cap would clash too much with the red jersey, so the brim and button are red.

rangers2010_3.gif

So there it is, it's a different looking concept and I certainly hope you like it. But I'd be interested to hear what could be changed to improve it. Next will flip back over to the NL with the Diamondbacks.

I'm digging most of this.

-Love the hats and jersey style

-Love the general feel of the whole thing, very texas like an I really like the creativity

-Love the font on the wordmarks/cap logo

Here's what needs tweaking

-Very hard to read the scripts, find a way to make it work but that's so hard to read man.

-The primary logo is a bit boring to me, and I don't like the straight-line stitches on the ball, make 'em more traditional

-The numbers are kinda small, short, and don't fit the rest of the theme.

Overall I think you got a great base, just need to change some things.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

OK, I'm not really thrilled with this. I really like the colors, and the idea. On the primary logo, the word TEXAS looks weird sitting above the circle, and it isn't following the same curve as the circle. The scripts are hard to read as well. Generally two-tone numbers work better is the split is subtle, so you can read the entire number. Also, and this seems to be a recurring issue, but your outlines on jersey lettering and numbers is way too thick. So when it's applied to already very beefy numbers, it become very difficult to read. The hat logo is a bit large. It should be closer to the size of the T, not the size of the star. I do like the two-tone hats and jersey striping though. I would love to see an update.

Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. You've got some great ideas here, elliot, such as the style of the script and those little western emblems that look like teardrops. The brown was a DEFINATE no from the start for me. I personally hold a strong disliking for teams with brown in their color scheme (except for the Browns obviously), and adding red to two shades of brown just looks awful. I'd switch back to red and blue, just like the colors of the flag, that's Texas enough for me. The scripts are also very illegible, maybe adding more hight and less width with the small reduction of outlining would get the job done.

Bohob, I was thinking the same thing. The 'Texas' over the circle looks very odd, and the circle itself is already at a wird perspective, so that's a wierd combination there. Other than that, I think that the primary is simple enough for a Texas team, seeing as the Cowboys, and Texans of the NFL, the Stars of the NHL, and the Rockets of the NBA (all Texas teams mind you) have fairly simple logo sets, which is fine. And yes, the two-tones are a bit funky, but I think it'll sort itself out with a change of color (blue, slightly darker blue, and red perhaps?) and a reduction in outlines. And I also believe he made the hat logo larger in order for it to be actually visible, bohob.

Other than that, it's a decent start. Definately something different but with a little tweaking, it could be something outstanding.

^ meh, not gonna change the brown. I'm not a fan of brown in sports either. But I think it helps make this concept unique. The rangers are an often redone team on the boards I've noticed and it's easy to fall back on red and blue but I'm electing not to. Plus the color schem you proposed is basically what the cubs ended up being.

I think the reason I use thick outlines is because baseball numerals tend to bore me. I prefer bold inyourface designs as opposed to thin outlines like on the Marlins where you can't even distinguish the colors. Are the nationals ever have pants with stars and stripes on them? no. Are teams ever gonna adopt bold outlines like this? Probably not. But in my fantasy world they look better. Now if you guys think this is a major design flaw I will try to stop..but I personally think it helps liven up baseball unforms, which in general, are boring and aren't really canvases for creative designs. I model some of my style off of plan b branding, which always does something outside of the box in baseball, and it makes for a more interesting concept.

Estone, I tend to disagree with part of your statement, I did think this out, so there is quite a lot of reason here, I guess you could say.

And anyways c jay, I think I'm gonna tweak some colors so they are easier on the eyes, but no blue is coming. It's just not in my vision.

I thinK the wordmarks are a problem and I'm gonna work on a more legible rendering.

I like where this one is going but it needs some work.

The colors I like but the way things are executed now it just looks off. As mentioned before the primary needs to have "Texas" integrated better into the design. Perhaps in the circle along the top.

I like the jerseys but the two-tone thing has to go, at the very least on the scripts. Go single color. And add the same drop shadow to the numbers that is on the scripts.

Very interesting take. This is carrying on the legacy of Texas MLB funkiness left by the Astros of the 70s and 80s. A little work and this can be a really great new look.

Personally, I think the use of thick outlines looks clunky because the numbers they are outlining are too thick. If you thinned those out, it could work. The way it is right now, it's simply not very legible. And yes, that is a major design flaw. If you can't read the numbers, then what's the point of having them?

When I first saw the Texas concept yesterday I thought "dear God." The color combo is very hard on the eyes. I think you should stay with the brown. It's reminds me of tumbleweeds, dusty trails, sheriffs, etc.

I think the reason I use thick outlines is because baseball numerals tend to bore me. I prefer bold inyourface designs as opposed to thin outlines like on the Marlins where you can't even distinguish the colors.

This may be true in some cases but not in all and I think that way of thinking needs to be rethought in this concept. When I think of Texas I don't think of bold inyourface designs and I don't think fans of the Rangers do either. Perhaps you should downplay the red in regards to the numbers. The thin circle of red works in the primary because it's just a splash of color. Use the same idea on the outline of the numbers. The wordmarks as everyone is saying are just too hard to read. I don't know if you worked hard on this and maybe that's why you're a little defensive about this concept but Elliott you of all people should know better. Look at everything you have going on here. Western-style serifs, light brown outline, two tone, teardrops, thicker dark brown outline, and a drop shadow too?

I think you can get this to work. What about instead of the light brown you go with a sand color? I think sand would work not only with the brown but also with the red.

I look forward to an update.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Archived