Rebranding the MLB....

elliott

Now I think the first thing you will recognize is the large change in color. Dark brown first, then a lighter brownish gold, and finally accents of red. I think the scheme gives an exclusive Texas flare.

But the Rangers colors are Blue and Red because they are the official state colors of Texas. The script on the jerseys looks awful. I can barely read it, especially on the alt and bp. Fix the script and you might have an okay concept, but the Rangers colors should always be Blue for loyalty,Red for bravery, and White for purity.

1909.png1925.png1960.png1971.png1979.png

1991copycopy.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give you props for posting something this ambitious, but I agree with everyone else... you need a lot of tweaking here. The only things I can say that haven't already been said is that there isn't enough contrast between these colors. That gold needs to be lightened up or changed to a tan-ish color. And while brown and red can definitely work together, it doesn't make sense with what you're going for. Also, did you consider using the Padres "sand" color for the road unis? For this concept, it would actually make sense.

When I first saw the Texas concept yesterday I thought "dear God." The color combo is very hard on the eyes. I think you should stay with the brown. It's reminds me of tumbleweeds, dusty trails, sheriffs, etc.

I think the reason I use thick outlines is because baseball numerals tend to bore me. I prefer bold inyourface designs as opposed to thin outlines like on the Marlins where you can't even distinguish the colors.

This may be true in some cases but not in all and I think that way of thinking needs to be rethought in this concept. When I think of Texas I don't think of bold inyourface designs and I don't think fans of the Rangers do either. Perhaps you should downplay the red in regards to the numbers. The thin circle of red works in the primary because it's just a splash of color. Use the same idea on the outline of the numbers. The wordmarks as everyone is saying are just too hard to read. I don't know if you worked hard on this and maybe that's why you're a little defensive about this concept but Elliott you of all people should know better. Look at everything you have going on here. Western-style serifs, light brown outline, two tone, teardrops, thicker dark brown outline, and a drop shadow too?

I think you can get this to work. What about instead of the light brown you go with a sand color? I think sand would work not only with the brown but also with the red.

I look forward to an update.

I don't want to come across as defensive, that's certainly not my intention, I think I might be defensive about the brown base but other than that, nothing. As backwards as it sounds, I enjoy when you guys rip apart concepts because it's always beneficial to the design. Plus, this concept has generated some discussion and controversy and what have you, so that's all the better. I've become accustomed to handling criticism even if it is negative, and dont get me wrong for being defensive, when I quote commenters it's usually to more explain my thinking and never to tell them they are wrong.

I know this concept can move forward with the first update, and I'm going to correct my usage of too thick outlines even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

Thanks for all comments.

Elliot, man, when I saw Rangers, I was excited. When I saw you mention the use of brown, I was on board (I made a very well regarded concept for the Rangers using brown a couple of years ago), but the execution... I'm not loving it, man.

First of all, yes, the colors need some more work. The browns are too close in shade to each other, and make things hard to read. Also, I'm really, really, really not feeling the numbers or the script, and the hats look too much like Astros hats from the 80s. A letter on a star background is theirs.

I think you should change the light-brown/off-white colour to reflect the colour of the Texas Ranger Division's uniforms. The brown and red can stay, but you need at least one very light colour in there to break it up.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I think you should change the light-brown/off-white colour to reflect the colour of the Texas Ranger Division's uniforms. The brown and red can stay, but you need at least one very light colour in there to break it up.

There's an idea. I like the sound of a lighter shade of brown :) . As for the Rangers concept, it's bold and different and I really like where it's headed :) . I think I like the BP cap (white star) more than the red star versions, but that may just be personal preference. I do love the cap logo and the cap design, especially the home :) . The only things that bothered me about the uniforms were the two-tone scripts and the awkward drop shadows. I love the script in theory, just needs some tweaks to make it more readable and functional.

One last thing... the primary logo is looking good, but the secondary is awkward, especially because the circles aren't perfect.

BTW, excellent work on the Cubbies - looked great with just shades of blue, still looks good with the hints of red. Well done :) .

EDIT > I apologize for the obnoxious amount of smilies. After posting and seeing the yellow versions, I realize how many there really are...

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

You know, I like how the Rangers are starting. The colors, if tweaked, could be very nice. I definitely get a Texas/southwest feel from them. Right now, as others have mentioned, I don't think there is enough contrast between the colors to provide definition, especially on the wordmarks.

Just a thought: if you darkened (and maybe desaturated) the brown just a tad, brightened the tan and pushed it slightly toward a more gold color, and left the red as is, then I think you'd have a bit more contrast without compromising the palette. Also, I think the numbers and wordmarks really need some white to give even more contrast. For instance, you could leave the RANGERS part as tan/gold but then let those "highlights" on the bottom halves of the letterforms be white. That would make everything brighter, and it could also produce a "shiny metal" effect that I associate with a sheriff's badge. (You could also push the "badge" association a little farther with the logo.)

This one could be great, and I again commend you for trying something different. Looking forward to an update.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of doing the Texas Ranger star into a logo. I think it would look nice on a vest uniform, or just as an alternate uniform. A simple patter with just the star and the number. The colors need major work though... they are scary.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived