Jacksonville Hammerheads

jaha32

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this... Probably the only thing I'd do is make the light blue outline around the mouth - navy.

Great job, I like the top left best, make that simple change and it would be basically flawless.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

fantastic start...

thicken, thicken, thicken...thicken the navy by double, as well thicken all the white highlights

some line thickness changes for shadows will really make it pop...like you have it under the left side upper fin, the bottom navy is thicker...perfet, do this around the piece for shadow effects ( like behind the sharks eye that sticks out...giving the depth to it.

and id make the far fin the blue...give it the depth shadow here with a real thick navy at the bottom, giving the right top fin depth without making it all navy.

very, very nice

footer_helmet.gif

Thanks everyone for the detailed feedback. it always helps. Here I thickened the blue outline and some of the shadows as well as some of the highlights to give it more depth as 1st Down suggested. I just have the partial logo of the shark here and want to get him right before I throw him back in the primary. On the right is a version I just tried out with orange highlights just to see what you guys think. But with the orang sun background it might not work..maybe it does alone?? Is this better with the changes?

hammerheads-1.gif

I love some of the work you do. This feels a lot like an overseas/Euro basketball team logo to me. I honestly think you should get rid of the basketball because the shark looks great on his own and a shark couldn't hold a basketball anyway. Just so people don't complain about that I would take it out. You will have to change some stuff around on the primary because the balance will be off, but I bet you can make it work. Also, I like the Orange highlights much more than the White ones. The eye gets a little lost in the Light Blue when it is Orange IMO.

Again very nicely done. Maybe if you were to show more of the backdrop you could make the backdrop itself a basketball and that way get rid of the awkwardly placed on in your logo now. Other than that, another great job! Keep of the good work.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

looking real good...

thicken up the mouth area some and the outer outline a little

make the logo at about an inch and then look at it...doing this will show you which areas are thin when at smaller sizes...i use to run into this...when you are working on these at larger sizes and showing them off at 5", the areas that are thin don't really show up.

and the left one with the white highlights and orange eye...the orange eye balances out the logo better

footer_helmet.gif

jaha you have become my favorite member on these board. i always enjoy your work. i think you should go with the orange background in the original post because it has more meaning than the grey. there should always be a reason for design choices besides "what looks best". the shark is certainly strong enough on its own though. stick with the white highlights too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I love some of the work you do. This feels a lot like an overseas/Euro basketball team logo to me. I honestly think you should get rid of the basketball because the shark looks great on his own and a shark couldn't hold a basketball anyway. Just so people don't complain about that I would take it out. You will have to change some stuff around on the primary because the balance will be off, but I bet you can make it work. Also, I like the Orange highlights much more than the White ones. The eye gets a little lost in the Light Blue when it is Orange IMO.

I agree with your Euro comment actually. When I begin logos I always tell myself to try and stay away from the cartoony feel as much as possible, but it still ends up happening. I wish I could develop a style that like some of the others on the board seem to do so easily. I dont see an NBA team ever using something like this. And although a shark couldnt dribble a basketball, I like to put basketballs in the logo as much as possible personally. or if doing a baseball logo I think it should have some element of the sport in the logo as well. Football and hockey I think are better without those elements (maybe because the logos are actually on the helmets and front of the jerseys respectively so it needs less detail). I was so close to taking the ball out and I will see what it looks like without it.

1st Down, Im not sure I completey understand the 5" resizing completely, but I think you mean the outline should be thicker yet.?? If so I will do that. Just want to make sure before I move forward.

josh_cat_eyes, I thought about making the backdop a basketball like you said, but Ive done that so many times before that Im trying to avoid just placing the ball back there since its always my first instinct but too predictable if you know what I mean. Plus I dont think enough of the circle is showing for the lines in the ball to even be visible and I dont want to make that circle huge by any means.

There seems to be different opinions on which highlights are better, orange vs white, but more seem to like white with an orange eye... maybe once I put the shark back in the primary with the other elements it will solve itself.

Thanks for all the feedback again, and sorry to post so much without any visual updates but they are coming.

So I just went straight to work and made those changes. Everything is thicker in almost every location. The mouth is thickened too, maybe not as much as the rest but a little more. I have the color combo #1 on the left and #2 on the right just to see the different highlights with the background. And the basketball is gone, and I think/hope it is better. Which is better now 1 or 2?

hammerheads-2.gif

Wow... This is fantastic

the line thickness increases are making it look awesome

I liked the ball.... I know some people have problems with the sport ball in on logos, but it looks great in this logo

did you change the left fin shape? The bottom curve looks to be going the opposite way than the top... Looked better the other way ( same as the other fin and top fin (?))

and the highlight on that fin looks pasted on... All the other highlights are on the edge except that one and looks odd to me

really just that left fin as far as the logo doesn't seem to work for me... Everything else looks increadible!!

I want to add that these are just my opinions, please feel free to tell me to f off if you don't like my ideas/changes or if you think I'm telling you what to do

but, this is looking awesome... I love 95% of the logo. I like the font for the jax... its a little too close to the shark though on the ends... If you follow where the sharks navy edge is, the text would overlap... Just saying

The hammerheads font doesn't really do it for me...the placement and shape look great... It might just be the orange drop shadow

Ok........ I'm done :). I really need to get to work on some of my own logos

footer_helmet.gif

Superb set, my friend. Your most recent versions look great. I definitely prefer option 1, with the white highlights and the orange eye. And I actually really liked the basketball in there, though I can tell I'm in the minority. Yes, yes, I know that a shark can't actually palm/dribble a basketball... but that's not really the point. It was a nice added element and looked good, IMO. But regardless, you've got another winner.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Ok. Back at it. I added the ball in another version since the latest feedback was in favor of it. Now the ball is completely within the blue circle so hopefully its not awkward as josh_cat_eyes mentioned on the first version with the ball. I am still not sure which is better because I also changed the fins on the version without the ball. I think Im pro-ball. 1st Down, I kept the orange shadow on the wordmark just because it was seemed lacking without it. maybe it's just that the word HAMMERHEADS is a long word that it doesnt seem right. I also understand your comment about the Jacksonville scrpit being too close to the shark's navy edge. I thought I could 'get away' with it originally since I didnt know if it was bothersome or not. It's still not 100% true to the outline in every spot but close.

hammerheads-3.gif

While I'm not a fan of elements from the game being present in logos, it's hard to avoid sometimes when the logo is based on a mascot, which most minor-league logos are. I think this logo needs the basketball, because it makes the shark's pose look more natural if he appears to be dribbling the ball, rather than just jumping or striking. No, fish don't dribble balls. Neither do hornets, or any animal. That's part of the charm of minor-league logos - you have to use your imagination a little bit, and they really appeal to the kids.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived