My NFL Redesign

dgnmrwrw

With the Saints, I'd really like to see the TV #s moved to the shoulders and either the FDL or a Louisiana patch added in its place.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The white pants on the Saints - on both sets - look awesome. When the dome opened in the 70's they had uniforms with the white pants so yet another nod to a team's past.

I was a fan of your original Tampa set, for some reason the creamsicle outfit works with the new logos. With that said, I've never been a big fan of the pewter, but I like this update as well.

The Carolina update looks more like normal with the silver helmet. It was just that the black helmet made it look a little like the USFL Oklahoma Outlaws. I know the secondary colors are different but that was the first impression I got when I looked at it.

Still can't wait to see what comes next.

7824_large.jpg

I'm sure the next division you do will be received more positively.

Thanks!

Anyway, I'm still working on the Bucs, and now I'm looking at shifting the colors around. I'm posting a few mocked-up helmets below, all with (more or less) the same palette, but with each having a different emphasis.

White Pewter Black Red

I think my favorite is the red, because I really like the interaction of red-meets-orange-meets-black, and I think the dark pirate flag looks nice. But the white and black helmets also look pretty good. The pewter is still my least favorite, and the color seems out of place to me since it would be used only on the helmet and pants. But I'd like plenty of opinions on which of these helmets/color schemes is working the best.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

i like the orange/red/pewter/white/black look, but the thing is, if you are going to have 5 colors, you can't get really fancy with the uniforms. It would have to be something plain and easy on the eyes. you gotta put colors next to each other that compliment each other.

an idea for the pants would be something like this (minus the stripe going all the way to the belt. Just a simple color just behind or infront of the knee with a small, one color outline.):

2008FBCover.jpg

for the shirts, all you would need to color would be the collar and the sleeve band. possibly with a similar, small outline.

I think the color pallet has potential, you just can't get too crazy with a 5 color scheme.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

i like the orange/red/pewter/white/black look, but the thing is, if you are going to have 5 colors, you can't get really fancy with the uniforms. It would have to be something plain and easy on the eyes. you gotta put colors next to each other that compliment each other.

I think the color pallet has potential, you just can't get too crazy with a 5 color scheme.

I agree with all of this. First let me say that if I continue to go in this direction, and I think I am, then pewter will not be part of the scheme. Like I said, there's no reason to include it just for the helmet and pants, and it doesn't really play well with the other colors. It would just be red, orange, and black (with white, of course). I've currently got 9 different uniform striping sketches, and I'm trying to refine that and narrow it down.

On the NFC South, generally I liked them, I did wonder though about having both the Falcons and Panthers with black helmets in the same division, and also I wasn't sold on the black helmet/jersey combo for the Panthers. I actually quite liked the idea of the blue jersey/black helmet combo.

I thought the Bucs set was surprisingly good. I thought the orange and red worked well together.

The Saints were good, though for the home jersey I would have the collar as gold and black instead of gold and white.

** Edit- my comments are directed at the sets on the front page rather than the updates. I would suggest that the originals are better than some of the updates, apart from the updates I suggested :P

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well, there was no more feedback, so I'm finished with the NFC South. In the end, I left the Falcons and the Panthers as they were in the original post. Comparing the black helmet Panthers set with the silver helmet set, I still felt strongly that the black look was what looked best to me. I didn't like having silver helmets and silver pants, with no silver anywhere on the jerseys. To my eyes, the black looks crisper and I've always wished the Panthers had gone in that direction.

On the NFC South, generally I liked them, I did wonder though about having both the Falcons and Panthers with black helmets in the same division....

You know, this doesn't bother me because the two uniform sets, when viewed as a whole as they would be on the field, could never be confused. They're entirely dissimilar. Also, just for example, I know for a fact that the AFC North will have two orange and two black helmets. That's just how those four teams happened to work out. But again, no one could possibly confuse any of the uniforms.

For the Saints, I ended up moving the TV numbers to the shoulders, adding the fleur de lis to the sleeves, adding a gold home alternate, and making the white pants the road alternate. Those white pants just looked too nice not to use.

The Buccaneers got a complete overhaul. I kept the red/orange/black color palette, and I made red dominant while still (I hope) increasing the role of the orange. I'm very happy with how the new Bucs turned out:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (new)

Home Road Road Alt

Next division to be posted shortly.

Texans: I like what you did here, you kept it simple and sleek. Id continue that striping design on the pants and helmet though.

Colts: Again, nothing groundbreaking but its a decent addition.

Jaguars: Im absolutely love what you did with this team! My uncles one of hte coaches and I'd love to get this uni as a gift!

Nice addition of silver, i love the pant stripes.

Great job here, Like where this is going

My C&C on the AFC South:

Texans: You do know when to be subtle, as with the stripe on the helmet and pants.

Colts: Same as with the Texans, the silver was used recently by the Colts so to repeat something I've said twice: I love these historical nods you give to a team's uniform history.

Jaguars: This overhaul was absolutely necessary. This year's unis weren't an improvement, imo. The striping on the jerseys and pants are nice.

Titans: My least favorite of the group. Any reason you took the navy from being the primary color? And why did you completely eliminate the red? But as much as I didn't like the Carolina helmets being black the blue helmets sorta work here. Though after I just wrote the last sentence this could be the answer to my first question. I guess the navy jersey wouldn't work with the light blue helmet. It would look more like North Carolina's alternate set.

Good job all around though.

P.S. I was wondering if you'd mind that I "borrow" these concepts for the Maximum Football computer game? The game allows for you add your own uniforms and I was hoping to use these to make available to the game's community. It's a small but dedicated community and I think they'd be interested in adding these to their collections. If you wouldn't like me to do so, I'd fully understand and never bring it up again.

7824_large.jpg

I am not really feeling the Titans concepts, I just think that pale blue always needs a lot of balancing in a uniform. (I never really liked the pale blue Houston Oilers uniform!) Other than that the South looks pretty good.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm not feeling the addition of silver to the Texans, Colts or Titans. That being said I think it looks best on the Colts, but there are so many blue and silver teams already (Lions, Patriots, Cowboys, Panthers (you did eliminate silver for the Panthers though) and the Giants have gray pants) that Blue and White would be the most distinctive.

I don't think the Jaguar head needs the teal outline on the helmet.

Texans look great but I feel like the pants don't really match with the rest of the set. I also think that the Texans logo is one that for some reason looks best with a stripeless helmet.

I like the design of the Titans but I think it would look a lot better without silver.

I've been following this but haven't really commented so here are some quick thoughts about the previous teams:

The NFC East looks fantastic.

The Bills, Jets and Pats all look great. The Jets helmet bugs me because I feel like the oval outline is unnecessary, because the interior of the oval is also green. I would suggest either dropping the outline, inverting the colors of the logo (white oval green "JETS") or using a white helmet again. I'm not a big fan of the Dolphins' design because I don't think the stripes lend themselves to the tapered effect you used... I think it would look better without navy.

The entire NFC South looks great, especially the Bucs and Panthers.

This has been a terrific series.

This series is top of the line.

Great job on all of these!

Can't wait to see more.

P.S. Love the updated Bucs look. Pretty much flawless.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Thanks to those who provided feedback. Let me address a few things:

For the Texans, my general goal was to give them a look that was just more interesting. I love their logo, but their unis seem very bland to me. So I brightened up the blue very slightly, and added silver. I wasn't sure about the silver, and debated including it right up to posting it. I tried to use it very sparingly as a highlight, so the focus remained on blue and red, but I'll definitely go back and look at it again. For the unis, I didn't use the curved stroke from the shoulders everywhere else for a couple of reasons. First, I've already finished the whole league, and I've got a lot of teams with curved/swoosh-shaped pants and helmet stripes, so I wanted some variety. Secondly, I was attempting to mimic the shapes in the logo, with the two horns being divided by a single line between them. Thus, I put the "horns" on the shoulders, with a single stripe on the helmet and pants.

For the Colts, I was thinking about the gray facemask they use. I think it definitely looks better than white or blue, but it's not integrated well since there's no gray anywhere else. But they have used gray in the past (briefly, of course), so I thought I'd try to reintroduce it. As with the Texans, I wanted to use it very lightly. The Colts, instead of being a 99.5% blue team and 0.5% gray team, would now be a 95% blue team and 5% gray team. From the stands, the gray would be almost invisible, but it would hopefully add just a touch more depth. I'm really happy with how the Colts came out.

The Jags also came out very much the way I envisioned them. Just tried to bring back gold and basically make them more interesting and less generic. I did debate the teal outline on the helmet, because I know some people don't like the logo emerging from the black, while others do. However, I think my design needs the extra bit of teal so it's not too black- and gold-heavy.

For the Titans, I wanted an overhaul (obviously). I really don't like the light blue/navy/red combo, and I've never seen a Titans concept that integrated those three colors well. However, light blue and navy look great, and I fell in love with the Titans' light blue Oiler throwback helmets from this past season, so they were the inspiration here. I added gray for depth and to continue a "sky" palette of colors, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out, though I do understand that some people love the red. I'm just not one of them.

I'll keep working on some things with this set of teams and get an update soon.

Thanks for the explanations dgnmrwrw. I pull my critique back of the Titans, because the tie-in to the Houston Oilers didn't dawn on me (and yes I have paid attention to the honoring of the AFL this season!) And here I praise you at every corner for your attention to the team history, team and uniform. :wacko:

7824_large.jpg

Finished with the AFC South. I changed the Texans to eliminate the silver. I agree that it looks better this way, and I was still able to play up the red and use double-outlined numbers, both of which helped add some depth. I'll get the next division posted soon.

Archived