Super Bowl Jersey Match Up!

sharplcd

you can't mess around and wear stupid, gimmicky uniforms (I'm looking at you, leotards).

Gimmicky? Huh??

Last time I checked, the solid black pants have been a part of the regular Saints uniforms for many years now. So, those aren't "gimmick" uniforms.

"Gimmick" uniforms would be a team wearing a throwback uniform (like the 49ers did many years ago) in the SB.

That being said, I am sure the Saints will wear the gold pants with the white jersey's for SB 44. They only wore the black pants once all year with the white jersey (a win at St. Louis), so they will probably ride the gold pants again.

That word (leotard) gets thrown around a lot around here in regards to pants and socks of the same color. I really don't know why there is so much animosity towards that look. Its really not as bad as people think. The Saints look just fine in either gold pants or black pants with whatever top they decide to wear because its black and that usually looks pretty good. Not all colors work in that manner, but for some reason it works for them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing the Saints wear gold pants at home yesterday (I had been fearing the all-black look all week), I have faith that they will wear gold pants again in the Super Bowl. On a day when you have the chance to establish the lasting image of your franchise, you can't mess around and wear stupid, gimmicky uniforms (I'm looking at you, leotards).

Oh, I hope you're right. I'd hate to see the leotards enshrined in Saints' history.

I disagree. The solid-black pants with black socks makes the players' legs appear longer and skinnier than they really are, and really does create a "under armour" or leotard look. I think it would look silly to wear a football jersey with my under armour tights, but that's what they do. If they had gold-topped socks, maybe even with a black stripe, it'd work much better. Even a thick gold stirpe (like they had a few years ago) would help.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That word (leotard) gets thrown around a lot around here in regards to pants and socks of the same color. I really don't know why there is so much animosity towards that look. Its really not as bad as people think. The Saints look just fine in either gold pants or black pants with whatever top they decide to wear because its black and that usually looks pretty good. Not all colors work in that manner, but for some reason it works for them.

You're right - "leotard" isn't the right word to describe the look. Leotards don't extend down to the legs.

The correct word is "unitard."

male_unitard.jpg

Saints need to wear white jerseys with gold pants. Colts need to wear their home blues with the white pants. Should make for a great Super Bowl color combination. I will say though, I did like how last year's Super Bowl uniforms contrasted well. Arizona with white and red worked great with Pittsburgh's yellow and black.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I disagree. The solid-black pants with black socks makes the players' legs appear longer and skinnier than they really are, and really does create a "under armour" or leotard look. I think it would look silly to wear a football jersey with my under armour tights, but that's what they do. If they had gold-topped socks, maybe even with a black stripe, it'd work much better. Even a thick gold stirpe (like they had a few years ago) would help.

Not only that, but with many players going against the uninforced rules and wearing socks with very little or no white showing, and some of which wearing normal athletics socks over UnderArmour, they look even more like leotards. Whenever I see that look I think of the workout pants ladies wore in the 80s with the socks pulled over them.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

You're right - "leotard" isn't the right word to describe the look. Leotards don't extend down to the legs.

The correct word is "unitard."

male_unitard.jpg

LOL!

leotard...unitard...*insert inappropriate 'tard' word* whatever :)

I guess I'm part of the minority here because I think that in THEIR case it works. Not with all teams, but with their color scheme its fine by me.

I wouldn't mind the Saints black pants so much if they went back to that big gold stripe they used to have when Ricky played there. A gold stripe would bring the helmet back into the mix so the uni wouldn't look so black-heavy.

ricky%20williams.jpg

For the record, this is the uniform matchup that I'd most like to see.

drew_brees.jpgAAHJ137_8x10~Peyton-Manning-Posters.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wouldn't mind the Saints black pants so much if they went back to that big gold stripe they used to have when Ricky played there. A gold stripe would bring the helmet back into the mix so the uni wouldn't look so black-heavy.

ricky%20williams.jpg

For the record, this is the uniform matchup that I'd most like to see.

drew_brees.jpgAAHJ137_8x10~Peyton-Manning-Posters.jpg

I like that old fleur-de-lis logo better, too.

I, personally, would like to see [Helmets/Jerseys/Pants/Socks]:

Saints: Gold/Black/Gold/Black

vs.

Colts: White/White/White/Blue

I think it would be most pleasing-to-the-eyes.

The Saints uniforms are near perfection when that set is worn, IMO.

The color dispersal is perfect.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Gimmicky? Huh??

Last time I checked, the solid black pants have been a part of the regular Saints uniforms for many years now. So, those aren't "gimmick" uniforms.

"Gimmick" uniforms would be a team wearing a throwback uniform (like the 49ers did many years ago) in the SB.

That being said, I am sure the Saints will wear the gold pants with the white jersey's for SB 44. They only wore the black pants once all year with the white jersey (a win at St. Louis), so they will probably ride the gold pants again.

According to the "Football Uniforms Past and Present" site (at weirdwolf.net), the first time the Saints went with the all-black 'leotard' look was the 1999 season. Not quite a gimmick, but not really a time-honored tradition, either.

Actually, 2001. The 99 version had the thick gold stripe, so I'm not quite sure that it counts as a leotard - at least not by my definition. Either way, 9 years probably does count as "many" in today's sports world.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well NFL shop has some of the jerseys with the Super Bowl patch up but I don't know how reliable it is. The patch is on the incorrect side and they have both jersey colors and the Saints white version is incorrect it doesnt have the correct NFL tag at the bottom and the neck collar isn't black.

Colts Saints

raiders-2.png

I hope the matchup looks like this. This picture is from the 2006 preseason game between the Colts/Saints in Jackson, MS.

232700745_a8ec1f8403.jpg?v=0

Yeah, that's pretty sharp. The Saints still wear gold and black pants, right? Because they need to bring them back for the Super Bowl.

Archived