Super Bowl Jersey Match Up!

sharplcd

Just reported in WDSU 6 news in New Orleans that Colts will wear their blue jerseys and white pants and the Saints will wear their white jerseys with their gold pants.

I like this. Both teams will sport their full team colors, without one color being too overbearing. I felt that with the Saints possibly wearing the black pants with white jerseys, that it would look too black-heavy.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, teams can opt out and wear white. The '05 Steelers wore white in the Super Bowl because they'd won the last three postseason games on the road, forcing Seattle into the monochromes.

EDIT: whoa, we've now had two rotations of Patriots-Steelers-Colts. ew.

The "home team" of the Super Bowl can only make the decision to wear white, right?

Just reported in WDSU 6 news in New Orleans that Colts will wear their blue jerseys and white pants and the Saints will wear their white jerseys with their gold pants.

The Saints should have worn those black pants with the gold stripes.

It really gets no classier than gold pants. Good call, New Orleans.

6uXNWAo.png

No, teams can opt out and wear white. The '05 Steelers wore white in the Super Bowl because they'd won the last three postseason games on the road, forcing Seattle into the monochromes.

The "home team" of the Super Bowl can only make the decision to wear white, right?

As in any game in the NFL, the "home" team gets to pick which jersey they'll wear. Even if it's white. Pittsburgh wore white in 2005 because they chose to as the home team.

As in any game in the NFL, the "home" team gets to pick which jersey they'll wear. Even if it's white. Pittsburgh wore white in 2005 because they chose to as the home team.

Yeah, that answers my question. It's just that most Super Bowls I've seen feature the home team wearing their home jerseys, so I forgot they still had a choice.

They don't exist anymore (and haven't for a LONG time).

Ah, that's a shame, as they seemed much better than gold pants.

I don't know much about the Saints... Do these gold pants have a black stripe (which I think would look better than all-gold)... or are the pants just an all-gold design?

I don't know much about the Saints... Do these gold pants have a black stripe (which I think would look better than all-gold)... or are the pants just an all-gold design?

This is what they will be wearing:

john-carneyjpg-0fd9fda6d9941e6b_medium.jpg

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

This is what they will be wearing:

john-carneyjpg-0fd9fda6d9941e6b_medium.jpg

Oh, that actually looks nice. The gold pants are much better with that black stripe on the side.

Very happy to see the Saints wearing the gold pants.

As for team color designation,

prior to Super Bowl 13 played in January 1979,

the designated home team had to wear colored shirts.

Thus Dallas in the blue shirts in SB V.

Since then, 4 designated home teams

have chosen to wear white in the SB.

Dallas SB XIII - 35-31 loss

Washington SB XVII - 27-17 win

Dallas SB XXVII - 52-17 win

Pittsburgh SB XL - 21-10 win

sig-1.png

See, by going with the Gold pants, don't the Saints basically admit that the black pants suck?

If you want to look the best you can for the biggest event the franchise has ever been involved in and you go with those gold pants, it basically says "hey, the black pants suck and look awful on us".

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

See, by going with the Gold pants, don't the Saints basically admit that the black pants suck?

If you want to look the best you can for the biggest event the franchise has ever been involved in and you go with those gold pants, it basically says "hey, the black pants suck and look awful on us".

Or, they may want to have a more traditional look for their first-ever Super Bowl appearance.

Also, with the Saints in gold pants, I think this officially bumps SB XLI as the best-looking Super Bowl of the decade. (Assuming this game still counts toward last decade)

Thank goodness! I can now watch the Superbowl without having to squirm knowing there's a leotard look being viewed by countless millions worldwide.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Or, they may want to have a more traditional look for their first-ever Super Bowl appearance.

Also, with the Saints in gold pants, I think this officially bumps SB XLI as the best-looking Super Bowl of the decade. (Assuming this game still counts toward last decade)

I think the black pants took a shot this year when the Saints lost to Dallas and then TB wearing them. We may never see 'em again! ^_^

Aesthetically, even aside from the leotard/unitard/whateveryoucallittard issues, the white/black and black/black combos have way too little gold to be attractive IMO.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

No way. Both unis will be nice, but the Saints would have to have matching golds and black-white-black pant stripes to be in the conversation for best of the decade.
OldRomanSig2.jpg

In Superbowl history the white jerseys lead in wins with a 26-17 record, INCLUDING 5 straight wins.

They have noted that the Colts have played all 3 of their PRIOR superbowl appearances in Miami, and that they are 2-1 in those games. The 1 and only loss came as a heavy favorite while wearing their Blue jerseys in Superbowl 3. They are not as big favorites this time around, but still they are favored and are wearing blue jerseys... is this an omen for a Saints win??? Or after 5 white jersey wins in a row are we bound to see a color jersey win this year???

Archived