Super Bowl XLV Logo

sonks

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thirdly, give the Super Bowl XLVI hosts a chance to come up with the logo before you scream and shout and rip your clothes. They NFL said that they would allow each host to customize the logo for their own region. By customize, is it that big of a stretch to assume that the colors are also customizable? And do you really think EVERY HOST CITY will want their stadium in the background? No. Really, the only 2 continuous parts of will be the trophy and the font in my mind...

How kind of you to presume that we are spouting off without reading any of the facts.

According to ESPN mobile:

There is a new logo for every Super Bowl, but starting wit hthe 2011 Super Bowl, the theme of the logo will remain basically the same. The only differences from year to year are the stadium backdrop and the Roman numerals for the game.

That is, in my opinion, a bad idea. This is a passable logo at best in its flat incarnation, a terrible logo in all its gradience.

It's not the lack of color that bothers me per se, it's that the uniqueness of each Super Bowl logo has been tossed aside in favor of a one-size-fits-all template. That it is a lousy template is almost beside the point.

Even after reading that quote, I still think when they mention the "stadium backdrop" I'm assuming that it is referring to the backdrop area itself, not that every stadium will be plugged into the background...

Whoever brought up the point of the Grey Cup logos had a great points... sometimes they have stadiums, other times they go with a regional theme.

To me, the addition of the stadium to the logo is a nice little nod-and-wink to the NFL's recent approach of "rewarding" cities and states that pass stadium initiatives with the Super Bowl. Remember when the NFL tied to use the lure of the Super Bowl to get the Hunts thier retractable roof in Kansas City? It's no coincident that the next two Super Bowls are being held in two brand new stadiums (Jerry World and Lucas Oil,) followed by one in the recently-renovated Super Dome, with the possibility of another in the new Meadowlands Stadium to follow.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

To me, the addition of the stadium to the logo is a nice little nod-and-wink to the NFL's recent approach of "rewarding" cities and states that pass stadium initiatives with the Super Bowl. Remember when the NFL tied to use the lure of the Super Bowl to get the Hunts thier retractable roof in Kansas City? It's no coincident that the next two Super Bowls are being held in two brand new stadiums (Jerry World and Lucas Oil,) followed by one in the recently-renovated Super Dome, with the possibility of another in the new Meadowlands Stadium to follow.

They won't have the Super Bowl in an Outdoor venue that's in a cold weather city.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

They won't have the Super Bowl in an Outdoor venue that's in a cold weather city.

The Giants/Jets got special exemptions to bid for the game. They are on the list, my friend.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Thank you, Wikipedia...

superbowlxlv.png

Looks awesome here.

No...no it doesn't. It's still unimaginative, boring, and awkward.

Thirdly, give the Super Bowl XLVI hosts a chance to come up with the logo before you scream and shout and rip your clothes. They NFL said that they would allow each host to customize the logo for their own region. By customize, is it that big of a stretch to assume that the colors are also customizable? And do you really think EVERY HOST CITY will want their stadium in the background? No. Really, the only 2 continuous parts of will be the trophy and the font in my mind...

How kind of you to presume that we are spouting off without reading any of the facts.

According to ESPN mobile:

There is a new logo for every Super Bowl, but starting wit hthe 2011 Super Bowl, the theme of the logo will remain basically the same. The only differences from year to year are the stadium backdrop and the Roman numerals for the game.

That is, in my opinion, a bad idea. This is a passable logo at best in its flat incarnation, a terrible logo in all its gradience.

It's not the lack of color that bothers me per se, it's that the uniqueness of each Super Bowl logo has been tossed aside in favor of a one-size-fits-all template. That it is a lousy template is almost beside the point.

Even after reading that quote, I still think when they mention the "stadium backdrop" I'm assuming that it is referring to the backdrop area itself, not that every stadium will be plugged into the background...

Ok, so how does this make this terrible "logo template" any better. Sure, next time it's in Miami we may get some palm trees behind the trophy instead of Sun Life Stadium (or whatever it's called these days). Is that any better, really? We're still getting essentially the same logo each year. A dull, grey, unbalanced mark. If you think the all silver colouring is just for this year, you're sorely mistaken. The colouring has nothing to do with the Cowboys. If it did we would be seeing a good deal of blue. We're not. We're just seeing silver. Why? Because that's the colour of the trophy, which means EVERY Super Bowl logo from here on out will essentially be the same. Same colouring, same general shape, same placement of the numerals. All that will change is the backdrop and the numerals used.

Now yes, the NBA and NHL use standardized championship logos, but that's apples and oranges. The NBA Finals and the Stanley Cup Finals aren't the EVENT that the Super Bowl is. It says something to the Super Bowl's scale that one can instantly pick out the highlights of each game just by looking at the logos. That connection's going to be lost.

I mean come on NFL. Did you really think it would be a good move to follow the NHL's example?

I mean come on NFL. Did you really think it would be a good move to follow the NHL's example?

Now now, the NFL is not following the NHL's example. The NFL is unveiling a new, generic, over-chromed logo before ruining an entire season with a fan-alienating labor dispute. The NHL did the season-destroying labor dispute first, crappy chrome logo second. Timing is everything.

20082614447.png

Now now, the NFL is not following the NHL's example. The NFL is unveiling a new, generic, over-chromed logo before ruining an entire season with a fan-alienating labor dispute. The NHL did the season-destroying labor dispute first, crappy chrome logo second. Timing is everything.

Ah, I stand corrected.

I am really sick of the knee-jerk, negative reaction to any proposed new logo or logo change. It is so predictable when people piss on anything new or different.

Nonsense. You're talking to the a Packers stockholder who writes team president Mark Murphy every year asking him to change the uniforms.

This isn't about us being sticks-in-the-mud. It's about the new Super Bowl logo sucking wind, and us being stuck with it sucking wind as a template for years to come.

I am really sick of the knee-jerk, negative reaction to any proposed new logo or logo change. It is so predictable when people piss on anything new or different.

I'm all for new and different. In fact, the reason I'm "pissing on" the new Super Bowl logo system is precisely because the NFL is essentially preventing any new or different Super Bowl logo for the foreseeable future. And frankly, it's kind of twisted to criticize critics of logo standardization for being unwilling to embrace distinctive logo design. It's precisely the NFL's pissing on "new and different" that bothers me about the new Super Bowl logo!

(If the XLV logo were just a one-off, like all previous Super Bowl logos, I still wouldn't be a fan, but I wouldn't hate it. It's a perfectly appropriate logo for a Super Bowl in the Big D. No local flavor to speak of, but it certainly captures the soulless, corporate identity of the host team, so it's just fine. My only problem with it is the fact that it represents a move toward standardization that will choke off any new, different, or interesting Super Bowl logo design for years to come.)

20082614447.png

I've got the official files...will post some stuff later on (gotta go)...there are only two colors in this logo - gradients of Black and White...

Do you have the one that is on the ball from that video? It looked like it didn't have any gradients, just a solid silver with black outline. Can't wait to see the official set. I'm sure it has been asked before but where do you get these anyways?

Standardizing the Super Bowl logo sucks out the life and creativity and vibrancy of the host city and its organizing committee. There are only two other organizations that exercise such total, goose-stepping control over logo use -- FIFA and CONCACAF.

If you look over the last few World Cup logos, they're all pretty much free-form. However, the most recent logos -- for men's and women's, age-group and senior -- all look about the same:

Confederations.jpg

FIFA-U17-World-cup-logo-fulWSWS.jpg

I hope a work-stoppage, or outrage, or good taste will necessitate the NFL rethinking this.

Not even the logo-averse Olympics make every organizing committee fit a template.

Ok, so how does this make this terrible "logo template" any better. Sure, next time it's in Miami we may get some palm trees behind the trophy instead of Sun Life Stadium (or whatever it's called these days). Is that any better, really? We're still getting essentially the same logo each year. A dull, grey, unbalanced mark. If you think the all silver colouring is just for this year, you're sorely mistaken. The colouring has nothing to do with the Cowboys. If it did we would be seeing a good deal of blue. We're not. We're just seeing silver. Why? Because that's the colour of the trophy, which means EVERY Super Bowl logo from here on out will essentially be the same. Same colouring, same general shape, same placement of the numerals. All that will change is the backdrop and the numerals used.

Now yes, the NBA and NHL use standardized championship logos, but that's apples and oranges. The NBA Finals and the Stanley Cup Finals aren't the EVENT that the Super Bowl is. It says something to the Super Bowl's scale that one can instantly pick out the highlights of each game just by looking at the logos. That connection's going to be lost.

All right, McFly. The only way you could know all of that for sure is if you yourself were the designer. The gig is up. We now have someone to blame. So, can you tell me what XLVII will look like?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I mostly agree with everybody else, but I think we are a small minority. The average football fan would just say,"Get a life!"

I'm surprised the NFL doesn't continue with new logos every year. That's an annual opportunity to sell stuff to people, including those whose teams are not in the Big Game(NTM).

And to those who claim the NFL is emulating the NHL, they certainly look like they're going to cancel an entire season over a labor dispute.

Nonsense. You're talking to the a Packers stockholder who writes team president Mark Murphy every year asking him to change the uniforms.

This isn't about us being sticks-in-the-mud. It's about the new Super Bowl logo sucking wind, and us being stuck with it sucking wind as a template for years to come.

Exactly. You know what I'm sick of? People who, when they realize they're in the minority of something, talk down to people who disagree with them. This logo's getting such a negative reaction for a reason. Not only is it sub-par, but it's replacing the unique tradition of a new Super Bowl logo each year.

All right, McFly. The only way you could know all of that for sure is if you yourself were the designer. The gig is up. We now have someone to blame. So, can you tell me what XLVII will look like?

Tell me, when did I piss in your Corn Flakes?

You don't need to be the designer to know what the following logos will look like. All it takes is the ability to read the various articles and press releases related to this logo's unveiling. So kindly back off, chief.

Archived