Super Bowl XLV Logo

sonks

There's no doubt in my mind that Jerry Jones had EVERYTHING to do with the selection of logo. It's got HIS STADIUM in it for God's sake!

If the NFL had it their way, they would have used something extremely similar to the SB42 Arizona logo, only using blue, sliver, and the Lone Star State as an outline -- which would have made a MUCH better logo than the one they went with.

So next year when Lucas Oil Stadium in in the background of basically the same logo, will it still be Jerry's fault?

This is all NFL, Curtis.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but I don't get all the complaining. It's much better than this years unimaginative logo (or more accurately, word mark). The "gradient" version is obviously just an enhanced version, just like any sports program would do to make it's intro or visuals more appealing. Can't say it's very creative, but it's hardly an eyesore.

Sorry, but I don't get all the complaining. It's much better than this years unimaginative logo (or more accurately, word mark). The "gradient" version is obviously just an enhanced version, just like any sports program would do to make it's intro or visuals more appealing. Can't say it's very creative, but it's hardly an eyesore.

It's not so much the design (which is awful and uncreative). It's that this logo is going to be used for at least the next five years (XLV, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII, IL), not to mention all the trophy crap they're doing...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I'm wondering is the SB patch going to have the lombardi trophy like the NBA has for the o'brien trophy

the super bowl logo looks like the stanley cup final logo from last year

stanley-cup-finals-20091.jpg

as for the conference championship trophies, I be lamar hunt and George Halas are rolling over in their graves on this.

It looks like Roger Goodelll is turning into another Gary Bettman!

after all I have no problem with the logos

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

the irony is that on the committee website, and the article unveiling the logo they say this:

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. ? The NFL was searching for something iconic, something that said Super Bowl.

You know, like when you see the blue star on the side of a helmet, that?s Dallas Cowboys.

When you see the intertwined N and Y, you know it?s the New York Yankees.

When you see the five rings, you know it?s the Olympics.

Some things should never change.

when what they are doing is changing the main thing that says SUPERBOWL. Even though i dont like it I'm ok with the new logo (growing on me), and i hate the idea of using it over and over but I'll be ok with it, I will NEVER be ok with them getting rid of the Lombardi trophy.

When I first saw the logo, I really didn't think it looked that bad. I haven't been a huge fan of the recent logos and this wasn't much different. Then, I read the article on how they will be using this template for logos in the future, and I liked it a lot less. Having a unique logo each Super Bowl was something to look forward to, and with the colors it was usually easy to associate a logo with where the game was being played. After this, I was just a little disappointed.

But after reading that they will be changing the actual trophy, I was pissed. It's such a simple trophy, it looks great. I remember seeing a picture of a team's front office with multiple Lombardi trophies in cases (I'm pretty sure it was Pittsburgh), and it looked so nice with 6 of the same trophies next to each other. If they had 6 different trophies there, it just wouldn't give the same feeling that there is now. It's going to seem like each trophy is from a differnt event.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't think they are getting rid of, or changing the trophy. None of the official reports say that, just that one poorly-written article.

I think what's clear is that the logo itself will change with a regional flavor behind the trophy ... stadiums, most likely, but maybe another iconic item ... but the trophy itself will be the same.

And did you see the ESPN report that said the North Texas Super Bowl group only got the logo a couple days ago? It was the NFL's decision, not theirs. It always is.

And did you see the ESPN report that said the North Texas Super Bowl group only got the logo a couple days ago? It was the NFL's decision, not theirs. It always is.

You are a rube if you think Jones didn't push for this to happen at his SB and with his stadium hosting it. The committee might not have known about it beforehand, but I'm sure Jerry was working behind the scenes.

Sadly, the general public won't realize that this is the new logo until they see the SB46 logo is the same as the one they saw last year, and by then it's too late if there is a backlash.

So every year is going to have the stadium and trophy in the middle of it in silver? Did I read that article correctly?

Mark Waller, chief marketing officer for the NFL, said that this logo will be the permanent design for the Super Bowl, with each host city allowed to regionalize the logo. For Super Bowl XLV in Arlington, a depiction of Cowboys Stadium will be added.

"This really reflects the stature and pre-eminence of the Super Bowl, and now it will reflect the games and stadiums," Waller said.

Waller said there will be a style guide for the logo which can be customized with the colors of the city.

Overall, they want to brand the game and the Super Bowl name globally. UEFA basically does the same thing with their logos and doesn't the IIHF? Rarely do I read a complaint on those.

Plus, remember for Super Bowl XL, they ALREADY CHANGED the trophy. They made it larger and the football actual size. Just think of what they will add as just a stand or base.

So it sounds to me that it won't necessarily be the stadium venue that will be in the logo, but something indicative of the area. Meaning that Miami could have palm trees, Tampa Bay could have a stylized Sunshine Skyway Bridge (a la Super Bowl XXXIX), Indianapolis could have something involving the Speedway (for example; there may be something more iconic, but I'm not too familiar with Indy). Jones and company would, of course, choose to include his new baby in their version of the logo.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

The one thing I'll do? Just give up on the NFL. It may seem drastic, but the NFL and Jerry Jones have killed my love for the game at the higher level. Exclusive rights, poor design, and horrid decisions both on and off the field... it's off topic, but I just can't love this league anymore.

Hello New Coke!

What a baffling, ridiculous clusterf&ck of an idea. While I hate Jerry this is on Goodell, plain and simple.

You hit the nail right on the head. The NFL is the only league in this country that plays their championship game in a NEUTRAL setting. The NHL gets away with their standardized look because they don't have years in advance to design custom logos for the team that ends up in the Stanley Cup. speaking of which, could you imagine if they changed the Stanley Cup, to a picture of an octopus if the winning team won the cup in Detroit, or a palm tree if the winning team won in Florida? How freaking ridiculous. I have never been as pissed off at a logo change/confused as I am with this one. What the heck are they THINKING?

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

Holy crap horrible. They are now trying to be the NHL.

sb45.png

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I predict (with the Super Bowl logo now having the Lombardi trophy and the NFL logo) that the NFL will go back to their old Super Bowl fields of the past, and put the SUPER BOWL logo at midfield. This logo has to be at midfield. If it's not, it will look ridiculous, not that it doesn't already. Then the 25 or 30 yard line will have either the NFL logo, a lombardi trophy, the team helmets (crosses fingers) or a picture of poo.

That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

High Quality Entertainment for the masses.

DiamondbacksSig.pngsuperbowlxliii-1.png

I agree that this isn't exactly a good logo, but those of you who are saying that this will kill the Super Bowl or cause you to give up on the NFL are insane, and probably weren't really fans of the sport being played in the first place, meaning you're not really giving up on much.

So it sounds to me that it won't necessarily be the stadium venue that will be in the logo, but something indicative of the area. Meaning that Miami could have palm trees, Tampa Bay could have a stylized Sunshine Skyway Bridge (a la Super Bowl XXXIX), Indianapolis could have something involving the Speedway (for example; there may be something more iconic, but I'm not too familiar with Indy). Jones and company would, of course, choose to include his new baby in their version of the logo.

I think that the NFL is simply doing what the CFL has been doing the last few seasons with their Grey Cup logo. Have a basic template with the trophy and font and work around it. http://sportslogos.net/team.php?id=1117

We'll have to wait and see what next year's Super Bowl logo will look like to see what kind of trend the NFL is setting.

I saw, I came, I left.

This is terrible. Every year I look forward to seeing the new logo for the Super Bowl. To throw that all out the window and turn the NFL into the same as all the other leagues with the generic logo is just stupid. Add in getting rid of the "A" and "N" trophies and changing them to cheap knockoffs of the Lombardi Trophy, and then changing the Lombardi Trophy itself... it's just a horrible decision. Maybe next thing they'll do is sell the naming rights to the Super Bowl... the "Pepsi Max Bowl" will be next.

Archived