NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

While that is a ridiculous statement, I do KIND OF see the point hes trying to make. To the Busch light guzzling, football-basketball-nascar watching American, a guy with the flashiness of Ovechkin might be more of a sell than a guy like Crosby. To us actual hockey fans, we appreciate how great both players are in their own ways. Ive been playing the game since I was 3 years old, so I can fully appreciate Crosby's ability to collect the puck in his own zone and take 2 quick strides to break away from the backchecking forward and I can appreciate the way he controls the play when he has the puck along the boards. The average American sports fan wont pick up on those things. The average American sports fan likes to see Ovechkin spin around a defenseman and score a goal from his ass. Unfortunately for us real hockey fans, it seems like Bettman is trying to appeal more to the casual fan, while forgetting about the diehard.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While that is a ridiculous statement, I do KIND OF see the point hes trying to make. To the Busch light guzzling, football-basketball-nascar watching American, a guy with the flashiness of Ovechkin might be more of a sell than a guy like Crosby.

Oh, I agree absolutely. That's what Semin was talking about when he said "what's so special about Crosby?" But at the same time he also said "he's a good skater, he's a good passer"--even someone with every reason to talk down about Crosby knew better than to say "all he can do is stand in front of the net and call for the puck", because that's not even close to being accurate.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Crosby just camps out in front of the net and waits for people to pass him the puck.

What on EARTH are you talking about?

Even if he was right, that wouldn't be a bad thing, considering Crosby is leading the league in goal scoring.

If I have to watch the Pens again on New Years, they might as well rename it the Crosby Classic

I would say 90% of Americans would agree. But people love watching Ovechkin. I like the fact that ESPN refers to him as the Lebron of the NHL. It really makes sense when you think about it. When you watch them two play, its completely different than any other athletes. They are exciting and make some of the most amazing plays you will ever see. Crosby just camps out in front of the net and waits for people to pass him the puck. He is probably like the Chris Bosh of the NHL or something. The most popular player on his team, but if the average American is flipping through the channels they aren't going to stop to watch him.

So the choice of the Capitals was perfect. Penguins? again? that's just stupid! why not the Devils? Will all the popularity of the American Parise due to the olympics, that would be an amazing game.

I know this is getting off topic, but by LeBron of the NHL you mean not being able to win a championship right? Both are great players in their own styles; Ovechkin with his sandpaper grit and sniping ability, and Crosby for his tatics. Crosby said himself that he was going to shoot more this season, and he has. A majority of his power-play goals have come from the top of the circle. To say that he stands by the net for his goals is like saying Ovechkin cherry-picks for all of his; sometimes that is the situation, but more so their skill factors into their scoring. Coming from purely a jersey aspect, the Devils, and the Caps to an extent, don't have much of a history aside from the Red/Green era. At least with the Pens, you have different eras that you could pull a jersey from, including the first cup era that the fans want to see. I do agree that it is too early for the Pens to be in another one, but if you are looking for an individual matchup, the NHL would have it if this is confirmed.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

I don't quite know what to make of it, but the jerseys selected for a weekend-long sale at River City Sports are... interesting.

I don't think it means anything considering that ALL of their authentic jerseys are $100 off.

Winter Classic in Pittsburgh (Heinz Field) is about to be announced with Pens hosting the Caps...start the jersey speculation.

If that is in fact the game there's pretty much no way the jerseys aren't this

mario-011.jpg

druce_john_tall.jpg

I'd like to think the team would bring back the classic gold for a second WC game, and being in Heinz Field it would look great, but Lemieux has distanced the team from it for 10 years. From what Ive read over the years it seems a majority of the fan base would like to see Pittsburgh gold come back full time, if Lemieux opens that door even for one game, he could get pressured to bring it back full time, something it hasnt looked like hes wanted to do.

Wow, Sabres doing something new and creative! Word mark jerseys!!!

That is super original and creative! Go team!

Sigh...the new logo was complained about so much, so they will never change again.

2ly2w09.jpg

This was sent out through a Ducks Update e-mail season ticket holders get from the team.

Sorry I dont have a higher resolution for it.

New colors for Syracuse Crunch:

post-1338-1269988285.jpg

Figured it'd be that easy

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Wow, Sabres doing something new and creative! Word mark jerseys!!!

That is super original and creative! Go team!

Sigh...the new logo was complained about so much, so they will never change again.

Good. That's the way Sabres fans want it. We didn't want that brand new disaster in 2006 either. We wanted the classic logo.

Dumping the Slug will probably be the first uniform change that will count as an upgrade for the Sabres. The Sabres have made radical changes every time they've done a uniform overhaul. In 1996 they completely changed their color scheme and logo. In 2006, they introduced front numbers and came up with the Buffaslug for jerseys designed to lead the way for Reebok's new "edge" look. Both 1996 and 2006 were big downgrades.

I'll be real happy if they stop trying to be so "creative" and just stick to what works.

This was sent out through a Ducks Update e-mail season ticket holders get from the team.

post-1338-1269988285.jpg

Good God. Get rid of that effing thing and that name. "Syracuse Ducks" would be an upgrade at this point.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

post-1338-1269988285.jpg

Good God. Get rid of that effing thing and that name. "Syracuse Ducks" would be an upgrade at this point.

What the hell is that thing in their logo anyways? Angry gorilla?

Am I the only person who likes the Sabres' late 90s red/black identity?

No, you weren't. I think that look is the Sabres' best look ever. Much better than the bland crap worn from their inception until 1996 and waaaaaaaaaay better than what they sport now.

The crossed swords (snort) logo they eventually came up with was kinda cool, but I've no use for the goat head or the wacky stripes or the colors that didn't suit them. I think the red/black thing had something to do with the Rigas family, surely one of the more illustrious entries in the long list of criminals who have owned and operated NHL teams, so those colors are best left in the past. The Sabres could've gone 40 years without making significant changes to their uniform and blew it with two crappy updates.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, you weren't. I think that look is the Sabres' best look ever. Much better than the bland crap worn from their inception until 1996 and waaaaaaaaaay better than what they sport now.

I loved it at the time, as I thought that their old uniforms were... well, old. Looking back, I really think that a full scale color change was the wrong move though. If that uniform came out for an expansion team, it'd have been great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Those uniforms are nice (especially compared to all the terrible uniforms around the league that Reebok has had a hand in) but you can't dump the team's entire logo, color scheme, and identity after 26 years.

As someone else pointed out, they would have been great for an expansion team but NOT for a team with a good history in a city that really cares about hockey.

If you look at the banner situation in the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, it's a complete mess and it didn't have to be this way. Hopefully the Sabres get it right this fall and then don't make any changes for a long time. And we can all get past this the way the Angels did after their 1997-2001 softball uniform phase.

Archived