NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

You know, the more I see the Kings' black/silver thirds, the more I wish they'd switch to these and the color scheme full-time. All they'd need to do is put the current crown logo on the chest instead of the alt LA shield. Oh, and get rid of the white armpits.

Agreed. The purple always gave me a weird vibe when Sacramento's NBA team has the same name and colors. The silver and black kings were definitely more iconic. Return to those colors, simplify the uniforms, and restore some tradition to the franchise.

I disagree. You want tradition? Work in the old purple/gold from the 70's. I like the purple/black scheme they have now because it's unique to them. There are too many black jerseys in the league already, and it seems like the Kings rolled out the black/silver to cater to the Raiders fans...

A purple and gold alternate would be really great. But if that's all they are going to wear, I would quickly get sick and tired of them. Purple and gold is great as long as it's not shoved down our throats.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the more I see the Kings' black/silver thirds, the more I wish they'd switch to these and the color scheme full-time. All they'd need to do is put the current crown logo on the chest instead of the alt LA shield. Oh, and get rid of the white armpits.

Agreed. The purple always gave me a weird vibe when Sacramento's NBA team has the same name and colors. The silver and black kings were definitely more iconic. Return to those colors, simplify the uniforms, and restore some tradition to the franchise.

I disagree. You want tradition? Work in the old purple/gold from the 70's. I like the purple/black scheme they have now because it's unique to them. There are too many black jerseys in the league already, and it seems like the Kings rolled out the black/silver to cater to the Raiders fans...

A few things.

First, it is appropriate to call the black and silver look "traditional" for the Kings, because it was that in those colours that the franchise had its best years. Also, if we're going to write off the black and silver set as just catering to Raiders fans, then we can write off the "classic" purple and gold set as just catering to Lakers fans.

Secondly, the Kings would still be unique in the NHL if they went back to black and silver. Yes, no team in the NHL uses black, purple, and silver, but at the same time no team uses black and silver either. Also, even in their black, purple, and silver scheme they still wear black sweaters, so switching back to black and silver wouldn't add one more primarily black team to the league.

The current set isn't all bad, the updated crown logo, the Jack Nicholson lion, and the shield are all great. I'm just not a fan of the "try to hard to be unique" number font and the colour scheme. It's always looked to muddled together, the purple never really popped, and to be honest I associate that colour scheme with futility as far as the Kings are concerned. The silver and black, on the other hand, represents the best years of Kings hockey, and with the team starting to pull things together I think it's time they returned to that look.

I don't like the navy, the silver, or the armpits. Conceivably, the Sabres could've worn their 1970 uniforms right into the present without making a move. Anything they've done since 1996 was unnecessary.

I agree with you about 'angry-goat-head' years, but I'll admit I really liked the red thirds they wore at the time (with the crossed sabres). Then, I accepted the slug jerseys because I was just ecstatic that they went back to blue & gold.

All that being said, I LOVE the new thirds (soon to be regular homes), armpits, piping and all! It's a good spin on past and present.

I didn't mind the angry-goat-head logo, I just didn't like the color change. I think it would have been a pretty sweet looking logo if they had kept the blue and gold.

Threw this together real quick to see what it would have looked like:

97015452.jpg

Not as good as the 70s logo, but still not as bad as the black and red.

70389454.png

The Kings have either ripped off the Lakers, Raiders, or Sacramento Kings. Never had their own thing.

Sacramento and L.A. are both "Kings" (not really) of their respective sports, so any logo similarities can't really be helped.

But the reason they wore purple and gold in the 80s was because they used to be owned by the same guy who also owned the Lakers. They switched to black and silver because, at the time, the Raiders were still in L.A. and I'd imagine Gretzky coming to the club was a pretty big deal, so the franchise colors were changed to represent a new era (kind of like how the Cavs redid everything in 2003 when they got LeBron.)

A few things.

First, it is appropriate to call the black and silver look "traditional" for the Kings, because it was that in those colours that the franchise had its best years. Also, if we're going to write off the black and silver set as just catering to Raiders fans, then we can write off the "classic" purple and gold set as just catering to Lakers fans.

Secondly, the Kings would still be unique in the NHL if they went back to black and silver. Yes, no team in the NHL uses black, purple, and silver, but at the same time no team uses black and silver either. Also, even in their black, purple, and silver scheme they still wear black sweaters, so switching back to black and silver wouldn't add one more primarily black team to the league.

The current set isn't all bad, the updated crown logo, the Jack Nicholson lion, and the shield are all great. I'm just not a fan of the "try to hard to be unique" number font and the colour scheme. It's always looked to muddled together, the purple never really popped, and to be honest I associate that colour scheme with futility as far as the Kings are concerned. The silver and black, on the other hand, represents the best years of Kings hockey, and with the team starting to pull things together I think it's time they returned to that look.

I'm hard pressed to call the black/silver "traditional". They wore it for 9 years and made the finals once. That's like calling the goat-head black/red Sabres a tradition...which I believe we all agreed was not the case, despite making the finals in '99.

Yeah, I know the black/silver is unique comparing to the rest of the league...I loved those jerseys enough to buy one back in the day...but it doesn't make it awesome. The purple/silver is an obvious rip off of the Sac Kings, but it still gives a sense of identity in the NHL to LA.

Now, draw up a Kings jersey with purple/gold (and I mean GOLD, not Lakers yellow)...now your getting somewhere. Now your showing a sense of tradition with a present day look. And LA does have tradition with the purple/gold with Marcel Dionne racking up the points, right?

I dunno, I'm just venting a personal preferance. I don't think they should ditch the purple entirely. At the very least, they could add a piping to the black/silver (kinda like the Sharks with the orange).

Whatever, just don't let me see that White swoosh jersey with the angry Burger King again...

Why the Kings 3rd jersey is black and silver, is because of Luc Robataille. He wanted to do something that resembled his favorite

years as a King. He runs the business side of the Kings for those who don't know. As far as the black on the Kings, well, I for

one dislike it. If you're going to keep the black, then make it an outline color or something and go yellow, purple, and a tiny

bit of black to make it pop. It really works. Using gold would just make it flat and dark and very much bland by year 2.

A few things.

I'm hard pressed to call the black/silver "traditional". They wore it for 9 years and made the finals once. That's like calling the goat-head black/red Sabres a tradition...which I believe we all agreed was not the case, despite making the finals in '99.

The difference, I think, is one of relevance. Despite not being around as long as the Kings, the Sabres are much more of an institution in Buffalo then the Kings are in LA. Thus the classic Sabres look means more. There was already an established tradition there with the blue/gold look, and the red, black, and grey totally flew in the face of that.

The Kings, however, have had no such continued relevance in LA. The black and silver thus means more, because it was during those nine years they wore it that they actually meant something. Marcel Dionne racking up points is nice and all, but really what he did for the Kings does pail in comparison to what Gretzky did in his time there.

Yeah, I know the black/silver is unique comparing to the rest of the league...I loved those jerseys enough to buy one back in the day...but it doesn't make it awesome. The purple/silver is an obvious rip off of the Sac Kings, but it still gives a sense of identity in the NHL to LA.

You just contradicted yourself. You admit that the silver/black look is unique in the NHL, but then you say that while the black, purple, and silver is a ripoff of the Sacramento Kings, it's still unique in the NHL. Well if the black, purple, and silver is unique, then the silver and black is just as unique, as far as the NHL is concerned.

If it boils down to personal preference and you just like the purple, black, and silver look better, that's cool. Just don't try and claim it "gives the Kings a unique identity" when the silver and black does just as good (or poor) a job at doing that.

Now, draw up a Kings jersey with purple/gold (and I mean GOLD, not Lakers yellow)...now your getting somewhere. Now your showing a sense of tradition with a present day look.

Vegas gold and purple? Not a bad idea, but really I've yet to see it work, and it's been a fairly regular theme among LA Kings concepts here. The problem, I think, is that purple is very vibrant and Vegas/old gold is very dull. It's to much of a contrast, and it always ends up looking like the gold portion is washed out.

Had the Kings stuck with the purple and gold look through the Gretzky years to today that would be one thing, but they didn't. The best, most relevant years of the franchise were spent in black and silver, so really that should be the colour scheme they embrace.

Now, draw up a Kings jersey with purple/gold (and I mean GOLD, not Lakers yellow)...now your getting somewhere. Now your showing a sense of tradition with a present day look. And LA does have tradition with the purple/gold with Marcel Dionne racking up the points, right?

You have two choices that already exist:

41-55390-F.jpg

... and (this gold crown and trim looks metallic to me):

smooths010.jpg

Whatever, just don't let me see that White swoosh jersey with the angry Burger King again...

Oops. :)

Also, I like the Sabres recoloring, and I think they might still be wearing those if they'd done that. I also wonder what people think about this: Had the Buffaslug been inside a remade old logo instead of the old buffalo, would he be facing extinction now? I think the return of blue and gold and a "modernized" classic logo might have been enough to tame the outcry, even if the buffalo was overmodernized.

I also wonder what people think about this: Had the Buffaslug been inside a remade old logo instead of the old buffalo, would he be facing extinction now?

Yes. People would have said "why the hell is there a slug on the Sabres logo?"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was never a fan of the goat head logo for the Sabres. For a team named the Bisons it would work. Even if the Buffalo Sabres were a 1996 expansion team with no prior logos in their history it would work. For the Sabres though? No it doesn't work, especially when you consider the old crossed swords logo conveyed the team name perfectly.

I also wonder what people think about this: Had the Buffaslug been inside a remade old logo instead of the old buffalo, would he be facing extinction now? I think the return of blue and gold and a "modernized" classic logo might have been enough to tame the outcry, even if the buffalo was overmodernized.

Well here are two mock-ups....

35.png

qehhihlyz2wnb2ocdh0l2mwv9.png

Who knows? It could have worked, but what's done is done. They opted to use the Buffaslug on its own and is thus, like the Gordon's Fisherman in NY, damaged goods.

I was never a fan of the goat head logo for the Sabres. For a team named the Bisons it would work. Even if the Buffalo Sabres were a 1996 expansion team with no prior logos in their history it would work. For the Sabres though? No it doesn't work, especially when you consider the old crossed swords logo conveyed the team name perfectly.

Thank you...I was going to make this point. It's the Buffalo SABRES, not the Buffalo BUFFALOS! My stupid town puts way too much focus on the city name. This was the main reason I hated the goat head and why I've come to despise the slug. The original logo works because it actually has friggin sabres on it. Heck, I would be ecstatic if they just recolored the sabre logo from the red thirds.

I'm kinda holding my breath on the rumored thirds for next year...I just want them to get it right for a change...

I also wonder what people think about this: Had the Buffaslug been inside a remade old logo instead of the old buffalo, would he be facing extinction now? I think the return of blue and gold and a "modernized" classic logo might have been enough to tame the outcry, even if the buffalo was overmodernized.

35.png

Who knows? It could have worked, but what's done is done. They opted to use the Buffaslug on its own and is thus, like the Gordon's Fisherman in NY, damaged goods.

Maybe...but like you said, what's done is done...

FYI, you have the slug going the wrong way. It faces to the right because it's supposed to be a slug/buffalo stylized "B" tilted to the side. :)

You just contradicted yourself. You admit that the silver/black look is unique in the NHL, but then you say that while the black, purple, and silver is a ripoff of the Sacramento Kings, it's still unique in the NHL. Well if the black, purple, and silver is unique, then the silver and black is just as unique, as far as the NHL is concerned.

If it boils down to personal preference and you just like the purple, black, and silver look better, that's cool. Just don't try and claim it "gives the Kings a unique identity" when the silver and black does just as good (or poor) a job at doing that.

Yes, I know it was a contradiction. I really don't know how to describe what I mean. Yes, the black/silver is unique to the Kings in the NHL as is the purple/silver. But I guess what I mean, looking back, the black/silver was boring. The purple/silver is newer, fresher, and no one else in the league uses purple and it also shows a sense of the team's history. I dunno, it's probably not a valid point because there really is no fact in this argument...just a personal preference.

35.png

qehhihlyz2wnb2ocdh0l2mwv9.png

Hideous. Not your fault, you actually did a great job mocking those up and blending old with new, but they look terrible. The Slug has always been criticized for being lopsided, but putting it in one of the old logos makes that more blatant that ever. Look how much empty space there is to the right of it.

There's just no way to redeem the Slug.

Archived