NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked up a few of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals patches today. On the backer from National Emblem, there were Canucks, Sharks, and Blue Jackets anniversary patches for the upcoming season that I don't remember seeing before. Apologies if they've been posted already.

Is there a reason why the Red Wings logo is angled differently from how I assume it's (officially) supposed to be? I've seen some sites like Fathead do this... They rotate logos at a much different angle than you generally see, and I've oftened wondered what the reasoning is.

Not sure about the patch, but with Fathead, it's probably just to emphasize that the logo is moveable and not fixed in some static location. It's like selling a toy that has a gimmick of being poseable - you wouldn't package it totally straight and not show off the bendy parts.

Hm, perhaps. Although on Fathead's site, they rotated the Broncos and Rams logos +20 degrees, and I they actually looked better angled that way.

I'm just curious why they did it with the patch, though.

The Sharks logo doesn't says SEASONS. So it can technically mean YEARS, which would make the patch accurate.

Also, I'm fairly certain the Red Wings logo is just angled differently so it will fit in the space within having to add more height to it.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Where do the Sharks plan on fitting that anniversary patch? Centered on the rear hem?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Well here are two mock-ups....

35.png

qehhihlyz2wnb2ocdh0l2mwv9.png

Who knows? It could have worked, but what's done is done. They opted to use the Buffaslug on its own and is thus, like the Gordon's Fisherman in NY, damaged goods.

Hideous. Not your fault, you actually did a great job mocking those up and blending old with new, but they look terrible. The Slug has always been criticized for being lopsided, but putting it in one of the old logos makes that more blatant that ever. Look how much empty space there is to the right of it.

There's just no way to redeem the Slug.

I feel I might be the only person in the world who really likes the Buffaslug... I think it works extremely well as a hockey logo. It conveys a sense of "motion" and speed that the older Sabre logos never did.

The slug looks better in white than in yellow, and it may indeed be a good hockey logo, but, IMO, it's a kick in the groin to the iconic classic logo. The Slug should be used for a Sabres AHL farm club. (But not the currently affiliated Portland Pirates. Rather, for some future affiliation: Buffaloes, Bison, Stampede, or some such name)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

35.png

Who knows? It could have worked, but what's done is done. They opted to use the Buffaslug on its own and is thus, like the Gordon's Fisherman in NY, damaged goods.

Hideous. Not your fault, you actually did a great job mocking those up and blending old with new, but they look terrible. The Slug has always been criticized for being lopsided, but putting it in one of the old logos makes that more blatant that ever. Look how much empty space there is to the right of it.

I feel I might be the only person in the world who really likes the Buffaslug... I think it works extremely well as a hockey logo. It conveys a sense of "motion" and speed that the older Sabre logos never did.

The lack of legs, the second horn being the same colour as the body, and the motion indicating the logo is going head over heels are the main strikes against it, in my opinion. The yellow/gold colour, when added to the logo's lack of legs, add to the banana slug look.

On top of that, well I just dislike it for a team named the Sabres. To many buffalo teams feel compelled to just make their logo some variation of a buffalo and leave it that, which is what the Sabres did when they went to the red, black, and grey scheme. When they announced they were going back to the blue and gold scheme people were hopeful they would introduce sabres back into the primary logo in some form, and it didn't happen. Even if we forgive the Buffaslug's flaws as a logo, it's still just another buffalo-only logo for a Buffalo sports team.

Which is why I prefer the original Sabres logo, and the modernized version they're using next year. It's got the buffalo, yes, but the crossed swords reference the team name. It has a buffalo, it has sabres, it's the perfect representation for the team.

Right. Not only is it not a good hockey logo, it's not a good logo period.

Even years after its introduction, I find no redeeming qualities in it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35.png

The lack of legs, the second horn being the same colour as the body, and the motion indicating the logo is going head over heels are the main strikes against it, in my opinion. The yellow/gold colour, when added to the logo's lack of legs, add to the banana slug look.

On top of that, well I just dislike it for a team named the Sabres. To many buffalo teams feel compelled to just make their logo some variation of a buffalo and leave it that, which is what the Sabres did when they went to the red, black, and grey scheme. When they announced they were going back to the blue and gold scheme people were hopeful they would introduce sabres back into the primary logo in some form, and it didn't happen. Even if we forgive the Buffaslug's flaws as a logo, it's still just another buffalo-only logo for a Buffalo sports team.

Which is why I prefer the original Sabres logo, and the modernized version they're using next year. It's got the buffalo, yes, but the crossed swords reference the team name. It has a buffalo, it has sabres, it's the perfect representation for the team.

The worst aspect of the Buffaslug Logo is its almost impossible to distinguish its features, especially on its face. What is that blue line adjacent to the eye supposed to represent? Is that a horn on the front of it's face or a tuft of fur? Is that a chin on the bottom of its face or a really bad representation of a leg? If its a leg then what is the ridge above it supposed to be. Nobody knows cause aside from the white horn, the logo looks nothing like a Buffalo.

It's a cool Oilers logo, but I kind of prefer the original. The old school font sucks kind of, but fitting for the team. About the Red Wings logo being on a tilt, back in the day I think it was like that for a bit.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

This isn't terribly original, but what about this:

BuffaloSabres_PropPML1.png

A combination of the old - I took the buffalo from the older logo, and the alternate logo from the previous set - and the newer colors.

It's vastly preferable tp the goathead and the slug, but the swords are still probably busier than they need to be. The buffalo is just plain old white, but the swords have all those swoops and swooshes and all. Man, did the Sabres ever blow it by ever replacing their first logo. Should've been one of the all-time classics.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The silver just needs to go from the Sabres set. It just adds clutter to the uniforms/logo. It's the same issue that the Nashville Predators have. Navy blue, silver, yellow, and white, there are just way too many light colors there to work and all the light colors compete against each other.

A combination of the old - I took the buffalo from the older logo, and the alternate logo from the previous set - and the newer colors.

It looks like that poor helpless Buffalo is about to get cut in half by that gigantic scissor-shaped pair of swords.

I say no because the size of the buffalo in proportion to the sabres is too small.

Archived