Giraffe Logo on 1961 Lakers cards

neo_prankster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But why some logos and not others? It's almost as if they weren't authorized to use the logos for every team (kinda like how basketball video games from the 90s couldn't include Michael Jordan or 23 on the Bulls, and had to use an anonymous "Player #24" instead).

Perhaps the licensing deals were negotiated on a team-by-team basis. That wouldn't necessary surprise me; I'm sure that creating a centralized licensing body like NBA Properties came later in the league's evolution.

Frankly, it's not surprising that, during the era of cutsier logos, a basketball team would use a giraffe in its logo. Yeah, they're herbivores (most animal mascots are either carnivores or omnivores), but they're tall.

Frankly, other than horses/colts/stallions/broncos, I can't think of too many teams that use herbivores as mascots.

It was their first or second year in LA maybe they toyed with a name change.

The only reason I can even think they'd change their name to the Giraffes (have to agree, though, LA Giraffes almost sounds kind of cool) is because of nearby Griffith Park and the LA Zoo. Otherwise, a giraffe is probably one of the more random mascots I've encountered for any sports club.

If a giraffe falls down, it will be unable to get up and will die. Very fragile creatures, giraffes. Might be a better logo for the Blazers...

Pretty sure Fleer had full logo rights to the Lakers, or else they wouldn't have been able to use photos of the players in uniform. Remember the trading cards where guys like Wilt & Willis Reed had back-to-front jerseys 'cause the card manufacturers only got player licenses, not team licenses?

Frankly, it's not surprising that, during the era of cutsier logos, a basketball team would use a giraffe in its logo. Yeah, they're herbivores (most animal mascots are either carnivores or omnivores), but they're tall.

Exactly. Once you eliminate the "we must have aggressive, nasty logo or somebody will question our collective manhood" silliness, a graffe makes some sense for a basketball team. They're not only freakishly tall, but can run fast as hell.

Frankly, other than horses/colts/stallions/broncos, I can't think of too many teams that use herbivores as mascots.

Don't forget the Bucks, a herbivore also chosen for its basketball-like attributes (in this case, jumping ability). That was only a couple years after the Laker giraffe logo. That one has always amazed me, given hunting's popularity in Wisconsin.

Archived