Portland Trailblazers Re-Brand

bohob

Well, with the Blazers I wanted to do a couple things. First, I wanted to make them not among the multiple black/red teams. Between Chicago, Toronto, and Miami, the black/red combo is still well-represented. Instead, I decided to go with a black/rustic red-orange/vegas gold scheme. The logo is of an ox pulling a covered wagon. The wagon itself features a wood grain and basketball wheels (which are more evident in the non-lockup treatment). I am slightly unsure of the shadow on the left side of the ox's head, but I feel it's ready for the first round of C&C.

blazers_primary.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this reminds of a college logo, much like your bulls design did. I like the Oregon trail theme though. The font is really really good. For me, the city of Portland doesnt really scream frontier to me though. But, the logo actually goes with the already existing nickname...so u cant be at fault there.

just not sure if this looks NBA enough for me. nothing wrong with it though

This is a very well done logo, very simalor to a "Portland Pioneers" logo I drew by hand like 17 years ago. Graphicly it looks great, but I agree with the others its just not an NBA logo. I'm also thrown off by the angle of the wordmark, it doesn't follow the angles of the graphic.

I like the basketball addition. I think the ox head needs a little bit of work. I am not sure about putting TRAILBLAZERS on and angle. I think it would have a bigger effect if it was straight. The basketball seems need to be fixed up, they look kinda drawn on with a crayon. Lastly, i would work on the colors. I think the tan with rust orange is a bit too much. I know you are trying for a really unique color scheme, but i think it would be better if you just used 1 sort of custom color, like the rust or the tan, and then use more basic colors, like the black, white, and maybe gray.

it just seems like it is a little too much. its a nice start though. i do like how you go really outside of the box with all of these.

Oh and i wanted to say... how would a rose be incorporated into the design? Not sure how it would look, but it would be cool to add a subtle rose in somewhere. Something where it can be seen second or third down the road as an after thought.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

My first thought was the wordmark doesn't fit. I can see that working for Denver but not Portland. When I think of the old west I don't think of Portland, and that's what the wordmark indicates to me, old west. Colorwise it just lacks pop to me. Everything seems really dull, I say stay with the red or go orange.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

The wordmark is fantastic, the idea is great, and I don't mind changing up the colour scheme, but the ox, the wagon and the ball need some work.

I'm pretty indifferent on the addition of the ball, but the ball itself needs a bit of work. The seams seem really far off and could look a whole lot smoother and more fluid.

The wagon suffers from a lack of perceived motion and a big empty spot of unused space at the opening. My first thought was that adding a driver would help alleviate that.

The ox needs some work. It looks too long and lean to be an ox, and the shape of the head, the nose, and the size of the horns in proportion to the head all need to be worked on. The eye is a little off-putting, too; it's hard to distinguish it from the rest of the black shadows on the face.

UPDATE

Thanks, glenn. I have taken some time to think about your points, and hopefully, I have addressed them here. Impaler, I understand if you think of Portland as a modern city, but the team name is the Trail Blazers, so that means Old West/Oregon Trail style is completely in play. I have worked on the ox, and re-did the basketball seems. I have also added a driver, but am unsure about the addition. C&C please.

blazers_primary3.jpg

The ball looks better. I still am not sold on putting the wordmark on an angle. I think it would be better if it were just straight underneath the logo.

I still think hiding a rose somewhere in the logo would be a nice touch too.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The ball looks better. I still am not sold on putting the wordmark on an angle. I think it would be better if it were just straight underneath the logo.

I still think hiding a rose somewhere in the logo would be a nice touch too.

I tried the straight wordmark. I looked slapped-on and default.

Bohob, first off I just want to say that I really like your concepts, I appreciate the fact that you go out on a limb and do something drastic and different!! Good job.

I understand your point about the wordmark and can accept your reasoning. I guess for me, for whatever that counts :D , I just think of Portland as more of a Pacific Northwest kinda place. I grew up in Western Nebraska near the Oregon Trail and also lived in the Eugene Oregon area so I must say I do like the connection there and the wordmark is nicely done IMO.

On to the update. I still think it lacks pop colorwise, with that being said I think the colors are nice but it just seems to be missing some pizazz I guess. I like the addition of the driver but I am not sure having everything else detailed and then just an indication of a driver really works. Maybe a little more detail there? I like the change-up on the oxen's eye, much better.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I dunno, the more and more I look at this logo, the more it looks busier and busier. There are so many elements in this design that it starts to be overwhelming, with the new additions of the driver and the oxen eye, theres so many different things to account for in this design. I'm not too sure how to solve this problem, but if you try and unify every stroke you put into this design, and possibly try simplifying, this could look great.

Maybe consider making the script more prominant as well, make it bigger than the rest of logo.

I dunno, the more and more I look at this logo, the more it looks busier and busier. There are so many elements in this design that it starts to be overwhelming, with the new additions of the driver and the oxen eye, theres so many different things to account for in this design. I'm not too sure how to solve this problem, but if you try and unify every stroke you put into this design, and possibly try simplifying, this could look great.

Maybe consider making the script more prominant as well, make it bigger than the rest of logo.

That sentiment is why I initially didn't have a driver or basketball. I will try some different options and see if anything sticks out.

Archived