Detroit Red Wings Logo

worcat

This is still in progress, I'm posting for suggestions and ideas only!

I've been wanting to update the Red Wings logo for awhile now. I figured I'll give it a shot.

From the original, I've deepened the red to a darker tone. Added a black outline outside of the tire. Redrawn the spokes to make them more symmetrical. Removed the white shine on the tire - i may add this again, with sharpened angles later.

Now I'm working on the wing. I've been wanting to make the tips of the wing more sharp as you can see in the preview but how should I go about the inners of the wing? Any suggestions on the feathers? Would there be a way to detail the inside without even using feathers? Sort of how the Philly Eagles use?

I'm still not 100% sold on how the wing connects to the wheel in the first place - I have this all layered where I could even detach the wing and have the wheel itself - this way it would show off the wheel and all of the detail.

Even with the colors - I was wondering about adding black to the inside of the spokes to increase depth, or making the tire a darker color, maybe stepping away from the traditional red wing colors...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know its in early stages but before I get too far in redrawing it, I want to make sure I know which direction I'm headed. I really don't want to stray too far from traditional, really just update it - kind of how the Lions updated their logo.

Image10-2.png

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I'm not a fan of the black around. Though I'm interested in seeing the finished product.

nice avatar, i love zooey

i think the logo is pretty good but id make the wing more fluid and less choppy.you should enter this at puckdrawn for the redwings redesign contest when you are done

I've been wanting to update the Red Wings logo for awhile now. I figured I'll give it a shot.

From the original, I've deepened the red to a darker tone. Added a black outline outside of the tire. Redrawn the spokes to make them more symmetrical. Removed the white shine on the tire - i may add this again, with sharpened angles later.

Now I'm working on the wing. I've been wanting to make the tips of the wing more sharp as you can see in the preview but how should I go about the inners of the wing? Any suggestions on the feathers? Would there be a way to detail the inside without even using feathers? Sort of how the Philly Eagles use?

I'm still not 100% sold on how the wing connects to the wheel in the first place - I have this all layered where I could even detach the wing and have the wheel itself - this way it would show off the wheel and all of the detail.

Even with the colors - I was wondering about adding black to the inside of the spokes to increase depth, or making the tire a darker color, maybe stepping away from the traditional red wing colors...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know its in early stages but before I get too far in redrawing it, I want to make sure I know which direction I'm headed. I really don't want to stray too far from traditional, really just update it - kind of how the Lions updated their logo.

Image10-2.png

I always thought I would be cool if the wheel was updated with a more modern, looking 5 spoke and ditch the "wirewheel" spokes....

thanks for the comments so far. I'm working on this as we speak. It doesn't necessarily have to be black but I'd love to use a third color - maybe even chrome. I thought about updating the wheel actually, to an entire different spoke pattern - but I wanted to keep as much traditional as possible in the initial preview.

While playing with some colors - here's what I have as of right now:

Is this a good direction with the wings? I feel like I should pattern them sort of like the black hawks. The red wings feathers look like they've been through hell to begin with.

Image10-3.png

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

The black tire makes sense. The black spokes, not so much.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I'm thinking about going the route of using silver.

I may replace the black with red, and use the silver as high lights.

For the wing, i'm planning on keeping it white, but replacing the red with silver. I'll post up a couple different variants for you to vote on.

Updated version:

Image10-5.png

Image11-1.png

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Image10-2.png

I always thought I would be cool if the wheel was updated with a more modern, looking 5 spoke and ditch the "wirewheel" spokes....

I was thinking they should update it and use some 40s or even spinners?

edisonnjshow004.jpg

They could give the logo a metallic look and everything...

I think the black outline will really make it pop. For the wings, i think the silver looked good, but since the ARE the RED WINGS, a red wing might be more appropriate. However, you can still in corporate the silver on the individual feathers as a highlight, or small detailing.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived