Gary.

The Marvel Comics Movie & Television Thread

2,345 posts in this topic

That Iron Fist trailer. Man, I never thought I'd be so excited for freaking Danny Rand.

2 hours ago, nuordr said:

Spike aka James Marsters is returning to TV, well sort of (HULU) for the upcoming Marvel Runaways series: 

http://www.darkhorizons.com/marvel-announces-runaways-pride-casting/

I'm excited for this (but not enough to sign up for Hulu). I've thought for a while that this could have Guardians-like quirky potential. Shame it couldn't be on Netflix with everything else.

1 person likes this

Really cool. No more spoilers than would be in a trailer, for those who are concerned.

Edit: and Spider-Man is British? Huh.

Watched the first episode of Legion last night. Super weird, but I'm interested in where it goes. 

Logan is fantastic. Definitely a must see for anyone. I almost shed a tear at the end...

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Logan is fantastic. Definitely a must see for anyone. I almost shed a tear at the end...

I don't know, I wasn't much of a fan of it. It had some cool action sequences but it over emphasized the gore to me. I don't need to see wolverines claws go through a guys head head to know he's dead. The story had plenty of plot holes that kinda got answered towards the end but not really. They might get answered in future movies but I'm not sure. But the end didn't make me feel bad at all. I knew he was gonna die from the beginning, and the only thing they could do was possibly swerve and make him not die. Also having a girl that didn't talk until the final half hour made me feel no connection to her.

Spoiler

Only thing I was surprised about was there being a second wolverine that kills professor X for no reason too

. Only part I really liked was Logan going full rage mode towards the end.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I don't know, I wasn't much of a fan of it. It had some cool action sequences but it over emphasized the gore to me. I don't need to see wolverines claws go through a guys head head to know he's dead. The story had plenty of plot holes that kinda got answered towards the end but not really. They might get answered in future movies but I'm not sure. But the end didn't make me feel bad at all. I knew he was gonna die from the beginning, and the only thing they could do was possibly swerve and make him not die. Also having a girl that didn't talk until the final half hour made me feel no connection to her. Only thing I was surprised about was there being a second wolverine that kills professor X for no reason too. Only part I really liked was Logan going full rage mode towards the end.

Couldnt be bothered for spoiler tags?

3 people like this

My hope is that they let X-23 grow and don't force a re-casted Wolverine into the X-Men Universe so soon.

1 person likes this

55 minutes ago, vicfurth said:

Couldnt be bothered for spoiler tags?

sorry, I felt I was being vague enough that it didn't need any outside of logan dying which like I said wasn't a surprise in anyway.

Yeah, that was kind of a surprise.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

sorry, I felt I was being vague enough that it didn't need any outside of logan dying which like I said wasn't a surprise in anyway.

Yeah, other than the lead character dying. Nice going.

3 people like this

I don't mind spoilers in a thread about a movie. I kind of expect it because it's a conversation about a movie in the first place. 

6 hours ago, Yippy said:

I don't mind spoilers in a thread about a movie. I kind of expect it because it's a conversation about a movie in the first place. 

But this thread is not about 1 movie! It is about all Marvel movies and TV Shows. When specific movies are discussed, the spoiler tags are a must. 

2 people like this

Logan was the best superhero movie since Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Fox continues to prove that they're more than capable stewards of the X-Men film franchise.

Here's hoping they don't :censored: it up by

recasting and resurrecting Wolverine. Use the group of kids to form the basis of a new team and let the franchise move on.

2 people like this

Saw Logan today and enjoyed it, so my simple standards were met. 

This may sound funky, but over the past 24 years or so I never really gave much thought to the fact that yes, his main fighting style is close up brawling with knives on his hands. The R rating really brought the character into new light for me as you could understand better the damage inflicted and received. 

I found myself thinking about a few other X-men and how they would play out in a "realistically" depicted fight. 

Oh boy... this Iron Fist show is terrible.

I'm through episode 2 and, as of now, only one character is in any way likeable (Colleen Wing) and the show is completely missing all of the mysticism and kung fu fighting that makes the Iron Fist character interesting.

Marvel/Netflix could have gone over-the-top camp, or done gritty like Cage/Daredevil/Jessica Jones, but instead it's mostly just boring. It's just a ton of exposition with awkward pregnant pauses and weird breath noises and I hate it.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Oh boy... this Iron Fist show is terrible.

I'm through episode 2 and, as of now, only one character is in any way likeable (Colleen Wing) and the show is completely missing all of the mysticism and kung fu fighting that makes the Iron Fist character interesting.

Marvel/Netflix could have gone over-the-top camp, or done gritty like Cage/Daredevil/Jessica Jones, but instead it's mostly just boring. It's just a ton of exposition with awkward pregnant pauses and weird breath noises and I hate it.

I find it kind of dull myself. Supposedly they won't introduce the costume until season 2. But I did find this which is way too cool:

Iron-Fist-Pop.jpg

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Supposedly they won't introduce the costume until season 2

John Carter-itis.  Screwing up the first story to make a trilogy or whatever cooler.

I haven't started Iron First yet, but it sounds too close to Doctor Strange for them to have both come out within six months of each other.  White guy goes off to Asian mountains somewhere and gets magic powers.  Iron First punches, and Strange does spells.

1 person likes this

Doctor Strange at least has Benedict Cumerbatch, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Tilda Swinton. And stuff happens. And it's very good (or at least very fun).

I'm through ep 4 of Iron Fist and, even still, Colleen Wing is the only character that seems to have a pulse. Everyone else just kind of ambles along. And whereas Doctor Strange actually went to Asian mountains, the whole of Iron Fist takes place in a penthouse and various offices.

I didn't know the costume wasn't happening this season. Why do they have to be so coy with this stuff? They overthought it completely -- kung fu guy comes back from a mystic dimension and kicks ass is premise enough. It's not hard. Who cares about board meetings, pharmaceutical prices and couriered letters from lawyers?

1 person likes this