Gary.

The Marvel Comics Movie & Television Thread

Still MIGHTY    1,808

That's not so different from what Daredevil did. He just had the blindfold for almost all of season one. (Was it in S1 at all? I can't recall). But yeah, after seeing all of these things (I haven't started Iron Fist), I'm over origin stories, like in total. Just give me a quick overview of what the gimmick is and show me what they're all about.

Honestly, I think Marvel is reaching its breaking point faster than they realize.

dont care    1,439
20 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

That's not so different from what Daredevil did. He just had the blindfold for almost all of season one. (Was it in S1 at all? I can't recall). But yeah, after seeing all of these things (I haven't started Iron Fist), I'm over origin stories, like in total. Just give me a quick overview of what the gimmick is and show me what they're all about.

Honestly, I think Marvel is reaching its breaking point faster than they realize.

I feel the same. I remember I didn't get why people were so head over heels for Daredevil when I was watching the first 4 episodes. I stopped there and couldn't watch anymore. I'm debating starting up again. I feel Arrow did the whole hero show the best by not really having an origin story but instead having a series of flashbacks.

DG_Now    3,793

Origin fatigue is real, definitely. I think Iron Fist has had the worst of it because it's the fourth of this current run, and it's the fifth season. We've had origins of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Punisher, plus all of the other Marvel films (including most recently Ant Man and Doctor Strange). Origins are important, but only inasmuch as you can't tell a story without them.

Setting Iron Fist primarily in New York, at least at the outset, was a huge mistake. Considering how much of his story is linked to Daredevil -- trained a child, wealthy, fights the Hand -- it really needed to look and feel different. It mostly just looks and feels like monotony.

Cosmic    2,474
5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

They overthought it completely -- kung fu guy comes back from a mystic dimension and kicks ass is premise enough. It's not hard.

I'm repeating myself, but this sentence reminds me so much of what they did to John Carter.  The first book was simple... guy from 1880s Old West wakes up on Mars, kicks ass, gets the girl.  They couldn't do that for some reason.

I really, really liked Doctor Strange.  It had some of the trappings of an origin story, but it felt much more like a Matrix than a regular Marvel origin movie.  I felt like it was much more about this other world that the viewers are learning about along with the main character.  I wouldn't call The Matrix "Neo's origin story"; that's how I felt about this.  Plus, the trippy dimensional stuff was really cool, even after months of hearing about how cool it was.

DG_Now    3,793

I really wanted John Carter to be great. There are some good moments in it, but it ultimately falls under its own weight.

And would it have killed them to call it by its proper name -- John Carter, Warlord of Mars? Or even Princess of Mars? Anything to make it stand out than being just some dude's name. Disney went for some weird "we're not going to tell you anything" ad campaign, which would be cool except the guy from Friday Night Lights wasn't a big enough star and no one knew (then and now) what John Carters, Tars Tarkus, and etc. are.

Cosmic    2,474
4 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I really wanted John Carter to be great. There are some good moments in it, but it ultimately falls under its own weight.

And would it have killed them to call it by its proper name -- John Carter, Warlord of Mars? Or even Princess of Mars? Anything to make it stand out than being just some dude's name. Disney went for some weird "we're not going to tell you anything" ad campaign, which would be cool except the guy from Friday Night Lights wasn't a big enough star and no one knew (then and now) what John Carters, Tars Tarkus, and etc. are.

Christian Bale.  Should have been Christian Bale.

CLEstones    240

Late to the party, but saw Doctor Strange a couple weekends ago. I thought it was fantastic.  I honestly thought I was going to hate it, especially since I don't really like Chiwetel Ejiofor - don't ask why, because I'm not sure why.  I thought it was going to be incredibly hokey and there were a few parts it was, but I think they did a good job of blending the comedy in instead of just forced 1 liners everywhere.  The effects were fantastic.  The story and resolution left a little to be desired, but I was thoroughly entertained, more than I ever thought I'd be.

Just because: If Doctor Strange was around for Civil War, what side would he have been on and why?

DG_Now    3,793

In the comics he supported Captain America. Mostly for the same reasons.

The comics Civil War story can be read in 7 issues, and I recommend doing so. At least in the comics people took sides (however forced they may have been). In the movie, it came down to the Tony Stark/Steve Rogers/Bucky issue with everyone else going through the motions more than any real disagreement. It's far more stock in the comics.

vicfurth    344
6 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Really excited for a proper Punisher. The movies were both jokes. 

FGM13    673

Man oh man, that looks so stupid and SO AWESOME.

BayouJim    806
6 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

Man oh man, that looks so stupid and SO AWESOME.

It's easily going to be the best Thor movie.

Chances the Guardians come rolling through?

habsfan1    1,234
9 hours ago, B-Rich said:

Thor: Ragnarok trailer up:

SWEET!

I wasn't sold at first for another Thor movie. But then I saw Gladiator Hulk and now I changed my mind. 

AstroBull21    531
1 hour ago, BayouJim said:

It's easily going to be the best Thor movie.

Chances the Guardians come rolling through?

Maybe not all of the Guardians, but maybe one or two

jrodsep    383
28 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Maybe not all of the Guardians, but maybe one or two

My guess is Groot, Rocket And The Collector, I bet him and the Grandmaster? Gamemaster? are either related or in a sort of agreement with Thanos. 

Lycan38    269
56 minutes ago, jrodsep said:

My guess is Groot, Rocket And The Collector, I bet him and the Grandmaster? Gamemaster? are either related or in a sort of agreement with Thanos. 

If I'm recalling correctly, the Collector and the Grandmaster are members of the Elders of the Universe.