Gary.

The Marvel Comics Movie & Television Thread

2,411 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

I don't think those rights are split the way you think they are; Sony is just being dumb. Sony controls all the Spider-Man characters, but they decided to play nice with Marvel Studios when their own stuff went down in flames.

I understand that. What I'm saying is that Sony should have let Marvel Studios  use Venom when they agreed to the Spider-Man deal.

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

I understand that. What I'm saying is that Sony should have let Marvel Studios  use Venom when they agreed to the Spider-Man deal.

Ah. My understanding is that Spider-Man does Homecoming (which is still a Sony movie that Marvel made all the decisions for), Infinity War, and then Sony does whatever after that. I don't think splitting Spidey and Venom up for that short time is a big deal, because Marvel probably wouldn't have wanted to use Venom in Homecoming, anyway. Sony should have just kept their mitts off of Venom for a couple of years.

Also, less than a year now until Infinity War! Just realized that.

26 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Sony should have just kept their mitts off of Venom for a couple of years.

Sony should have just sold the rights to the whole franchise back to Marvel. They clearly don't know what they're doing.

1 person likes this

On 5/22/2017 at 8:42 PM, Cosmic said:

Ah. My understanding is that Spider-Man does Homecoming (which is still a Sony movie that Marvel made all the decisions for), Infinity War, and then Sony does whatever after that. I don't think splitting Spidey and Venom up for that short time is a big deal, because Marvel probably wouldn't have wanted to use Venom in Homecoming, anyway. Sony should have just kept their mitts off of Venom for a couple of years.

Also, less than a year now until Infinity War! Just realized that.

If I read correctly both Feige and Pascal have mentioned that it's Civil War, Homecoming, Infinity War and Homecoming 2. After that it's all Sony once again. 

Edit: link

http://collider.com/spider-man-homecoming-2-mcu-marvel-sony/

1 person likes this

Black Panther teaser trailer dropped last night:

5 people like this

1 person likes this

After watching Hell on Wheels for a few years, it's weird seeing Anson Mount without a beard.

2 people like this

Other than Lockjaw (yay!) not too impressed.

Any news on Marvel Damage Control? That's another show that's supposed to air soon. It's supposed to have a sitcom or comedy format.

10 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Any news on Marvel Damage Control? That's another show that's supposed to air soon. It's supposed to have a sitcom or comedy format.

I may be wrong but it was cancelled and the "Damage Control" team idea was retooled as the main antagonists of Spider-Man Homecoming. 

On 6/29/2017 at 10:51 AM, nuordr said:

giphy.gif

Looks really meh to me. I might give it a shot, but I wasn't too excited by it.

Can't be worse than Iron Fist (probably could.)

With the Defenders coming up, I finally got around to charging through all the non-Daredevil Marvel Netflix endeavors.

Jessica Jones: A+ -- I may actually like this more than Daredevil. Such a great character piece. Loved the noir aspects. The way they played the "former superhero" aspects and how they treated her powers in relation to the actual narrative itself. Just so well done.

Luke Cage: B -- I did like this a lot, but it was definitely helped by introducing Luke in Jessica Jones. It hit a mid season lull, and had a tiny "who's the real villain" problem. But I liked the aesthetic, and the characters were well rounded and fun to see on screen. With Luke's powers, it could've very easily had a Superman problem of "well how the hell do you stop this guy?" I guess you could say the Super bullets were his Kryptonite, but the storylines and narrative all made up for it.

Iron Fist: C- -- Sigh... man. This show was totally done just because they had to for the Defenders, right? It definitely gives off the vibe of it, and a rushed production. All the other Netflix shows have had a niche, and a direction, and kind of a genre they were filling (Daredevil action show, Jessica Jones character-driven noir, Luke Cage cool 70s vibe fighting for the underdog.), but Iron Fist didn't have that to me. It could've been the mystic king fu show, but it missed that mark. For a king fu show, the fight scenes were incredibly lacking.Big "who's the villain" problem. Big character likeability problem. Why do I like Danny Rand? Why do I care? What is he trying to do? Far too much time spent on Danny Rand trying to prove he's Danny Rand by telling people he's Danny Rand. Oh, and did you know Danny Rand is the Iron Fist? Because he is the Iron Fist. The Iron Fist is Danny Rand. Danny Rand is the Iron Fist. Who is Danny Rand? He is the Iron Fist. WE KNOW. And all that stuff with the Meachem's and the business, like, I get that it was probably necessary, but woof. Dooooo nottttttt carrrrreeee. Biggest redeemable parts are Colleen Wing (although her turn late in the season was concerning, narrative wise. Badly handled.) and Rosario Dawson as always.

Despite Iron Fist's sour taste, I'm still very excited for the Defenders. I watched the trailer again after seeing all the shows finally, and I got much more of the "coming together and can't wait" vibe like I got waiting for the Avengers. Let's see how it goes

2 people like this

The Iron Fist show was such a bummer for me. I grew up a huge PM/IF fan and have a complete run of the 80s comics. I never thought a TV show or movie were possible, but for what they did with it they should have just not bothered. Such a waste. Also, it should have been like 4 or so episodes. I didn't finish the series because in large part because I'm not giving Netflix/Marvel 12+ hours of my life for terrible TV.

Saw Logan recently; I thought it was pretty amazing. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart... you couldn't really ask any more out of them. I thought they were perfect. I definitely didn't need the crazy violence, but it really did fit the story. It felt like the "Behind the Music" for the rest of the X-Men movies, and the gore was part of that. Like Logan said, the rest of the stuff never really happened like that, and this is more what it would be like if you really had people with impossibly sharp claws coming right out of their hands as their main weapons. It felt crappy and dreary in a good way. I think they did the right amount of explaining and not explaining things. The good guys didn't make all the right decisions. I liked the way that the lie they told the kids sort of became its own truth. I teared up when they were having dinner with the farmers. The ending with the cross was a little of an eye-roll, but I was willing to give it to them.

Solid A.

I don't think Iron Fist gets a season 2.

I'm surprised Jessica Jones & Luke Cage got renewals. I thought most of these were one and done as lead ups to the Defenders. Marvel's small screen scedule is quite stacked and still growing. A little too much, imo, if you include the CW-verse on the DC side, TWD, GoT, and everything else.

I thought JJ and LC were good enough for Season 2s. Again they each provide something different to the Netflixverse along with Daredevil, while Iron Fist really doesn't. And there's plenty of ground to cover with JJ/LC, I think, whereas Iron Fist didn't give me anything I want to retread despite the giant, hit-you-over-the-head "THIS IS SEASON 2's PLOT" ending. But I hope Iron Fist becomes like the Hulk is to the movie side, or even how Luke Cage was in JJ. Shows up in the Avengers/Defenders or alongside others in their own movie/show, but doesn't get his own enterprise again. 

Going forward, you're going to get plenty of things intertwined on the TV side, I think. Luke Cage and Jessica Jones eventually have to get married. Luke Cage and Iron Fist shared their own book for years. Daredevil and Iron Fist have a common enemy in the Hand.

But yeah, when you add in the Punisher's own series, Marvel's Netflix and New York City get plenty crowded.

1 person likes this

I can only hope that at least Daredevil and Punisher are in Infinity War and possibly make appearances in the second Spider-Man movie. Marvel bigwigs are becoming increasingly idiotic about denying the "Netflixverse" entry into the MCU. It's not like they're two separate entities i.e. DCEU & Arrowverse.

I'd love for Peter to have a conversation with Tony about needing extra help and Peter mentions having an altercation with "the devil of hell's kitchen" one night.

My rankings of the Netflix shows:

Daredevil - A: Great show. Love the character, the internal struggle with his faith and his work, particularly when Punisher is thrown in to show the opposite opinion. My favorite.

Luke Cage- A+: Absolutely loved this show. Other than Cottonmouth's early exit, there isn't anything I would have changed. The actors were great. I loved the tone and the music. Very different feel from the other series, and very refreshing in that way. Although I like Daredevil better overall and am more excited about his upcoming seasons than LC, I think this show was better done.

Jessica Jones - B- : I absolutely don't get the love for this show. It was good. I liked it. Kilgrave's powers were really creepy and thought provoking (ie. the awful damage one could do with such powers). The actors were good. The story was mostly good. But the middle episodes (maybe 7-9) were absolute death, dragging on and not advancing the story at all. More so than any of the other shows, this one could have stood to lose 3 episodes. I'm looking forward to the Defenders (and I'm sure Jessica will be advanced in that series) but as of now, I'm not that excited about seeing how she develops next. I haven't read the comics, but seeing as she isn't a "super hero" anymore, it seems like her character arc is about where it's going to be, other than dating and marrying Luke.

Iron Fist - B: It was a pretty good show. Like the other characters, I knew nothing about him beforehand. Many out-there elements of the character, but I thought it was good. I didn't hate Finn Jones' acting in the role. I thought the villain was good, and Gao was great again. It wasn't my favorite series, but there was nothing wrong with it, IMO. I am excited to see where he goes in the future, largely because I know he develops more and gets a suit, eventually becoming besties with Luke. While I feel a lot of the over-the-top love for JJ from the media is because they think the show supports their politics, almost all of the over-the-top hate of Iron Fist is because it wasn't altered to support their politics. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the show, but "Danny Rand is white" is not one of them. To the TV show critics (which are essentially social media bloggers who get famous for pwning a celeb or politician on Twitter), they were going to destroy the show no matter what. It being underwhelming helped them along.

That being said, I'm very pumped about the Defenders and seeing these characters together.

Condolences to Stan Lee, who's wife passed away today at the age of 93.

Spider-Man Homecoming was fantastic. I loved everything about it. This and Black Panther will propel the MCU even further ahead of the DCEU. DC Comics will have a lot of catching up to do.

1 person likes this