Gary.

The Marvel Comics Movie & Television Thread

2,407 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

The scene of the other Winter Soldiers kicking ass was a flashback.

Zemo's first question to Bucky in the interrogation was about the mission report.  Following his interrogation by Zemo, Bucky could only remember that Zemo asked about where he was kept--Zemo needed to know so he could search there for the report.  When Capt America asked Bucky why Zemo would want to know that, Bucky said (assumed) it was because there were more Winter Soldiers.

We don't know if Zemo even knew about the other Winter Soldiers, but he killed them, because he did not want them unleashed on the world ("did you really think I wanted more of you?").

I don't know if a group of Winter Soldiers could stop the Avengers, but Zemo knew he could not, because "more powerful men than me had tried, but if I could get them to kill each other..."  Earlier in the film, he said something about an Empire that "crumbles form within"--that is a reference to the Avengers destroying themselves.

He said an empire that crumbles from within stays dead, but the Avengers are like 10 guys. They're not an entire empire. You kill them, THAT'S dead forever. In a world where aliens have already tried to invade the Earth, it seems pretty logical that the Avengers would patch things up when the next huge threat shows up.

Yeah Zemo was a terrible MCU villain. His full intentions were not clear at all.

I'd rank the top 3 MCU villains:

1a. Ultron

1b. Loki

3. Vulture

Ultron sucked too.

1 person likes this

Yeah, no Ultron was not good.

Here's the full list off the top of my head in order of movie releases to date:

• Iron Man - Obidiah Stane (He was fine. If Ten Rings set up had actually paid off in Iron Man 3, this would've been retroactively amazing)
  • Incredible Hulk - Abomination (meh)
  • Iron Man 2 - Whiplash (not great)
  • Thor - Loki (great)
  • Captain America - Red Skull (good)
  • Avengers - Loki/Chitauri (Great again/whatever)
  • Iron Man 3 - Aldrich Killian (meh, again Mandarin actually as Mandarin would've been amazing)
  • Thor 2 - Malekith/Dark Elves (No)
  • Captain America 2 - Winter Solider/Hydra (Very good. I even like Redford here.)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy - Ronan (Fine? Another McGuffin villain)
  • Avengers 2 - Ultron (not good)
  • Ant-Man - Yellowjacket (Actually pretty good. I liked this.)
  • Cap 3: Civil War - Zemo (Meh, him as "big bad" is undermined by the real fight being being Cap and Iron Man. Plus, convoluted plan.)
  • Doctor Strange - Kaecillius/Dormamu (Meh. One is a minion/plot device, the other is a giant glowing head)
  • Guardians 2 - Ego (Actually really good)
  • Spider-Man - Vulture (Really good)

So in listing them, I've come to realization of why most aren't that good. The villains are either just a McGuffin/plot device or they get undermined by some sort of twist. I think I'd extend the list of good villains to Loki, Vulture, Ego, Red Skull, Winter Soldier (despite his turn, he is the villain in that movie) and I liked Yellowjacket.

Also, when going through them, the Marvel movies are usually more about the hero themselves rather than the villain. The only time the villain has mattered in the Marvel movies have been the Avengers films, because the villain needs to be a big enough threat to get them all together.

3 people like this

39 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Ultron sucked too.

Is this a safe place to agree to disagree? Asking for a friend.

14 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Heh, it's cool :P

To me the whole "evil robot with a god complex" thing was done much better over the course of four seasons with nu-Battlestar Galactica. Ultron didn't turn out to be the Heath Ledger Joker xerox I thought he might be based on the early trailers, but he's just...not engaging imo. He's a bland, if serviceable, baddie who has all the ingredients to be a big deal, but gets disposed of over the course of one movie.

That's my problem with a lot of the MCU villains. They all feel so disposable.

32 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Thor 2 - Malekith/Dark Elves (No)

Chris Eccleston is my favourite Doctor from Doctor Who, so I was excited to see him in the role. No kidding, he was a bigger draw than Loki was for me going into that movie. And then he barely did anything but show up at the end to set off another skybeam.

Captain America - Red Skull (good)

Captain America 2 - Winter Solider/Hydra (Very good. I even like Redford here.)

Agreed. I would have loved Winter Soldier even more than I do if the rumours about Redford being the Red Skull under a new alias had panned out. I kept waiting for it to happen. And then the movie was over.

Spider-Man - Vulture (Really good)

Agreed. I saw Homecoming last night, and I was very impressed. It was refreshing like it had to be. And it's probably the most accurate take on the character yet. I still feel bad for Andrew Garfield though, because he did a good job with what he had. Still? The new take worked. Of course it's all a matter of time before Sony regains full control and sinks the franchise again, but what can ya do?

One of the great things about the Vulture is that he doesn't want to rule the world or destroy the Avengers, or overthrow the government. The dude just got a raw deal out of life, so he's selling weapons to provide for his family. It's delightfully down to Earth as far as character motivations go. He and Loki are the only two MCU villains I feel good about.

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Wanted to like him, but was sad that his plan involved a bunch of disposable "putties" copies of himself.

1 person likes this

Statue of Thanos at D23 Expo (I'll spoiler it, but it's just a statue):

Spoiler

1 person likes this

On 7/12/2017 at 3:44 PM, Cosmic said:

Wanted to like him, but was sad that his plan involved a bunch of disposable "putties" copies of himself.

That's always been a thing with U

tron though. The interesting part would be if he carries over the sub code directive that all his minions that survive are compelled to revive him. Assuming the vision loses the soul gem, that'd be an interesting development depending on how they address the vision. 

1 minute ago, walkerws said:

That's always been a thing with U

tron though. The interesting part would be if he carries over the sub code directive that all his minions that survive are compelled to revive him. Assuming the vision loses the soul gem, that'd be an interesting development depending on how they address the vision. 

I don't mind that it was part of his plan, but I felt like the character could have been more. Super smart AI that can be all over the world at once... just feel like he can be more of a menace to the Avengers than building a simple army.

2 people like this

First trailer for the first Infinity War movie was shown earlier today at D23. It supposedly shows Spider-Man's spider sense.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

First trailer for the first Infinity War movie was shown earlier today at D23. It supposedly shows Spider-Man's spider sense.

Any chance they keep several appearences surprises?

56 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Any chance they keep several appearences surprises?

From what I heard, the trailer was nuts. I don't know who they'd be holding in reserve.

2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

From what I heard, the trailer was nuts. I don't know who they'd be holding in reserve.

Yeah from summaries I've read, no new characters we haven't seen were introduced.  But dear god, why must we wait until next May.

26 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Yeah from summaries I've read, no new characters we haven't seen were introduced.  But dear god, why must we wait until next May.

The Children of Thanos are new to me.

46 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

The Children of Thanos are new to me.

True,  it I don't recall if I heard they were in the footage....just figurines at D23 I think.

6 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Hmmmmmmm... new nomenclature for those characters accompanying Thanos. They appear to be Proxima Midnight, Ebony Maw, and Black Dwarf. Along with Corvus Glaive and Supergiant, the three pictured villains were known as the Black Order in comic book continuity, not the Children of Thanos.

I'd heard that the Black Dwarf character had been renamed Cull Obsidian in film continuity. If this tweet is to be believed, it would seem the entire assemblage of villains has undergone a name change, as well.  

It's worth noting that Josh Brolin got jacked to play Cable in Deadpool 2 (which is currently filming). From the photos yesterday, it looked like his arms were bigger than Thor's. 

There are descriptions online of the trailer. Nothing we wouldn't expect. I still have a feeling there is going to be some huge surprise (other than certain characters dying, which we expect at this point). Marvel hasn't announced the name of Avengers 4 because it's a spoiler for Infinity War. They also haven't announced any of the movies after Avengers 4 (other than Spider-Man and Guardians 3) because things are changing and new characters will be added. 

I really believe the Fantastic 4 will be added. Their rights aren't owned by Fox, as has been reported. They are actually owned by Constantin Films, which has contracted with Fox to make the movies. Constantin was reportedly liquidating its assets last year. I believe Marvel will go all-out to get them back. It's not just about the F4, but all the great villains that come with them. Bringing in Dr. Doom and Galactus could set up the next two Avengers movies.