Standardized NCAA courts

dennisbergan

Absolutely DISPISE the NCAA going to standardized courts for all rounds of the tournament. Whoever came up with that idea, needs to be fired.

Just gives the games absolutely no flavor and you have no idea where you are playing or what arena you are playing in. Just gives it a real stale feel (with many of these arenas being half-empty, many of the games have zero atmosphere to begin with).

If you have to do this asinine stuff, why not at least have different color keys, to differentiate which region the games are being played in. Blue would be East. Green would be South. Red would be Midwest. Orange would be West.

Who thought this was a good idea? Seriously?

why not at least have different color keys, to differentiate which region the games are being played in

Because first- and second-round sites have games from different regions.

Also, putting a word in all caps only accentuates the spelling error.

NCAA wants standardized courts for all tournament games now. I liked it better when there weren't any, too. Players were slipping too much on the vinyl decals they were using on the floors of the arenas in prior years to slap the NCAA's mark on the floor. Everything's painted on these NCAA-standard courts (maybe with the exception of graphics outside of the playing area, such as the site, name of venue, and host logos in either upper corner of the court from the vantage point of the viewer).

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I actually don't mind it. I guess I might be used to it because the Gwinnett Center here in ATL, where they host the high school tournament games, literally uses the same styled black and blue format the NCAA tournament has used.

It doesnt bother me at all, but I can't see it's anything to look at. It's better than all of the ridiculous patterns we used to see though. They could change the colors tho...

but you can definitely tell where they are playing the games, lol, it's written on the baselines.

Definitely preferred when each arena had its own court. Standardizing the courts sterilizes the proceedings a bit to me. Plus, the fact that the courts all look the same leave me wondering "What city is this? What region is this? What part of my bracket is this going to ruin?" about as much as the NCAA's needless scrambling of cities and regions.

I mean, if you saw a green, orange, and black court, you knew right away you were watching the West region in Anaheim.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Growing up my favorite time of year was March Madness, and I loved seeing the different courts each arena provided. I knew it was over last year when Taco Bell Arena (Boise State) had the standardized court. I really dont like it.

But these aren't like bowl games, where the hot cities tend to have festivals playing up the events. They're neutral site games. To be as neutral as possible, the NCAA has ordered the host sites to be as homogenized as possible. That includes covering all advertising and references to the buildings' other tenants.

By keeping the courts as similar as possible, they reduce the risk of a playing surface contributing to a team's performance (whether it be "dead spots", slippery decorations, etc.)

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

But these aren't like bowl games, where the hot cities tend to have festivals playing up the events. They're neutral site games. To be as neutral as possible, the NCAA has ordered the host sites to be as homogenized as possible. That includes covering all advertising and references to the buildings' other tenants.

By keeping the courts as similar as possible, they reduce the risk of a playing surface contributing to a team's performance (whether it be "dead spots", slippery decorations, etc.)

If the NCAA wants to bring it its own courts, go ahead. But I'd prefer at least different colors. I know it's about branding (like the NCAA needs to brand itself, but whatever...), but it's boring.

Furthermore, someone should tell the NCAA (and the New York Mets) that black and blue don't look good together.

I wish they'd at least outline the Baseline lettering or make it white or something. The blue on black location lettering is difficult to read and that is one of the most important aspects of the floor (except for the actual gameplay lines), especially now that every floor in every city looks the same.

As for the design of the floor itself, I'm not at all a fan of black and blue together and this court violates two of my court design pet peeves. 1, I can't stand it when the "paint" isn't painted. 2, If the paint must be empty then don't fill in the top of the key. I'd rather have that be empty along with the paint. Now we've got these two blue half circles just kinda hanging out with no real purpose. That part of the court doesn't really need to be emphasized over the other areas. Lastly, the logo at center court uses gradients. Bad.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I never liked the standardized courts at all.

If it was up to me, I have two options.

1) Have the arena/host(s) send a camera shot of the arena court that would be used. Then, have the flooring company do a copy of the court with the NCAA logos included.

2) Have each court color coded by the colors of the host institutions/conference. An example for this year:

Thursday/Saturday:

Providence (Providence College/Big East) - Since Providence is the main institution, Black w/white paint area

Oklahoma City (Big 12) - Black/Red/Silver

New Orleans (Tulane University) - Green/White

San Jose (San Jose State University) - Blue/Yellow

Friday/Sunday:

Milwaukee (Marquette University) - Blue/Gold (Blue darker than San Jose).

Jacksonville (Jacksonville University) - Green/White

Buffalo (Canisius College/Niagara University/MAAC) - This is going to be ugly, probably Blue/Purple.

Spokane (Washington State University) - Red/Silver

Regionals:

Salt Lake City (University of Utah) - Red/White

Syracuse (Syracuse University) - Orange/Blue

St. Louis (Missouri Valley) - Blue/Red

Houston (University of Houston/Rice University) - Probably Red/Purple.

That's pretty much how I want it. It really gets confusing after watching so many hours, especially in a bar where all games are on.

To make things worse, I've noticed discrepancies in the center logo.

Buffalo seems to be the only court clearly showing the white crescent moon-like

swirl above the N in NCAA.

Everywhere else it just appears to be the lighter shade of blue.

Not sure why that swirl is even there, much less why the 'NCAA'

is positioned in the lower third of the circle

to begin with.

My favorite tourney court used to be Reunion Arena

with the old black NCAA disc in the middle of the big M

with the cowboy hat.

sig-1.png

2) Have each court color coded by the colors of the host institutions/conference. An example for this year:

Thursday/Saturday:

Providence (Providence College/Big East) - Since Providence is the main institution, Black w/white paint area

Oklahoma City (Big 12) - Black/Red/Silver

New Orleans (Tulane University) - Green/White

San Jose (San Jose State University) - Blue/Yellow

Friday/Sunday:

Milwaukee (Marquette University) - Blue/Gold (Blue darker than San Jose).

Jacksonville (Jacksonville University) - Green/White

Buffalo (Canisius College/Niagara University/MAAC) - This is going to be ugly, probably Blue/Purple.

Spokane (Washington State University) - Red/Silver

Regionals:

Salt Lake City (University of Utah) - Red/White

Syracuse (Syracuse University) - Orange/Blue

St. Louis (Missouri Valley) - Blue/Red

Houston (University of Houston/Rice University) - Probably Red/Purple.

Yes.

Color-coding and small logos of the host school/institution in the center court, one upper and one lower on alternating sides (like the NCAA College Hockey tournament host arenas).

spacer.png

Yes.

Color-coding and small logos of the host school/institution in the center court, one upper and one lower on alternating sides (like the NCAA College Hockey tournament host arenas).

I believe they had done this in past years, but this year they decided to tuck them in the upper right/left in the bench area (incredibly lame).

Archived