Help me perfect my Clink Room entry....

GFB

Sasquatch Vs. Yeti  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sasquatch:

AnoraksUpdate1.png

Yeti:

AnoraksUpdate3.png

ORIGINAL POST

I had some free time this week, so I decided to come up with a concept for the new Clink Room "Rejects League" contest...

After thinking it over, I decided to use the nickname "Lonely Anoraks" as the basis of my concept. Why? Most people think an "anorak" is well...

019%20anorak.jpg

However, the dictionary provides us with a second definition:

anorak [ˈænəˌræk]

n

1. (Clothing & Fashion) a warm waterproof hip-length jacket usually with a hood, originally worn in polar regions, but now worn for any outdoor activity

2. Informal or socially-inept person with a hobby considered by most people to be boring

I chose this name because it reflected my "sports logos-nerdyness" through out my childhood, as I would always get so excited when I found out there was a new expansion team or a new logo being unveiled. But as crazy as it seems, no one shared my enthusiasm on the subject! Instead, people would just stare at me like I was.... I dunno... Bigfoot? So I took that feeling and turned a picture of myself into an actual Bigfoot (on paper anyway).

Now I feel this is a really strong concept and would look great on a hat, but its usually better for other people to look at it and give you feedback on something you might have missed. So here is what I need from you Creamers: look it over, study it, and whatever comes to your mind after a minute, just let me know. I'm taking all ideas, so if you want to see it in a different color scheme or see a structural flaw or whatever, let me know... I want to fix it before I enter it... Help me finish off this concept right!

Anyway, here's what I got:

Anoraks2.png

Give me your thoughts! Would you wear this hat? Do you like the colors? Is it a solid yeti? What would you change?

~Matt

Gorilla is what I see too, I think all you have to do is change the colors to a more silver, white, blue oriented version and you're set.

Exactly what Hoopskid said. Right now the colours are very ape-fur coloured, whereas a yeti would be white/gray.

g4104.png

Yeah, that doesn't look like a bigfoot at all. Take a look at this reference pic of an actual, for real, non-fantasy, flesh and blood creature called bigfoot.[/sarcasm] Give me a break, people. It doesn't look like a bigfoot? Right, because you've seen a real one to compare it to, huh?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Yeah, that doesn't look like a bigfoot at all. Take a look at this reference pic of an actual, for real, non-fantasy, flesh and blood creature called bigfoot.[/sarcasm] Give me a break, people. It doesn't look like a bigfoot? Right, because you've seen a real one to compare it to, huh?

From original post, "Is it a solid yeti?". Yetis are supposed to be mythical creatures that live on snowy mountains, in the artic, etc., and a "typical" yeti is white. I know they don't exist, hence mythical, but have you ever seen a gold and maroon yeti?

g4104.png

From original post, "Is it a solid yeti?". Yetis are supposed to be mythical creatures that live on snowy mountains, in the artic, etc., and a "typical" yeti is white. I know they don't exist, hence mythical, but have you ever seen a gold and maroon yeti?

Have you ever seen a white one?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Have you ever seen a white one?

Two points:

1. You can say that nobody has ever seen a yeti, but my point is, have you ever seen a representation of a yeti that wasn't white?

and 2. You're a damn good designer. If a team came to you (and didn't already have a colour scheme) and asked you to make them an idendity based on a yeti, what colours do you think you would use? You may not use white/silver, but it seems like the logical choice.

g4104.png

OK, yetis are generally thought to be white, but the Jack Links "Messin' with Sasquatch" commercials, Bigfoot isn't white because (although Bigfoot may be a yeti) he is thought to live in the temperate climate of the Pacific Northwest. There is a spot at the top of the head where the hair spikes up that the outline could be more consistent with the other hair spikes. And honestly, I don't think the smoky purple color is doing you any favors. Maybe try a color scheme that's a little more Pacific Northwest, like brown and lime, forest and blue, or something without that smoky purple/lavender shade.

EDIT: The head could be more cone like, or taller, to give it that closer-to-man, missing link feel.

Alright, let me try to insert some clarity here... It was supposed to be a bigfoot/sasquatch. I wasn't aware of the difference in terminology between bigfoots/sasquatches/yetis. To me they were all kind of the same deal: a big man-monkey living somewhere isolated.

But now that it has been brought to my attention, I'm thinking that the yeti might be a little better tie-in to the term "anoraks" because an anorak is a winter jacket/parka. Decide for yourself...

Sasquatch:

AnoraksUpdate1.png

Yeti:

AnoraksUpdate3.png

And thanks to everyone who helped be figure out the anatomy a little better... I did want it to look somewhat like a gorilla, because frankly, gorillas look flipping awesome. What's great about doing a fictional character is that you can make it look however you want and you can say, "Well, this is how I pictured one to be." But with your help I was able to get the proportions the way I want them and I made the mouth a little furrier. I think this is my last change unless something else comes to my attention...

Now I'm trying to decide on colors. I'm putting a poll up right now... but if anyone has any idea for good color combinations I'm willing to try some out.

I like the Yeti version. I would keep the white/blue combo but I would either change the lighter blue to silver or lose that shading entirely.

Also, I think it needs to get a bit "taller". I'm still feeling a serious gorilla vibe from this, which isn't a bad thing, but you need to "humanize" this just a bit, because that's what bigfoots( or bigfeet? lol) supposedly are, creatures that fall somewhere in between apes and humans.

Overall though it looks great. Good luck in the contest, it appears I've got some stiff competition already(I submitted the Key West Conchs).

bigfoots( or bigfeet? lol) supposedly are, creatures that fall somewhere in between apes and humans.

1. humans are apes. in the same way something cannot be half mamal, half man.

2. bigfeet are imaginary. it seems that you are all eluding to harry from the hendersons as reference.

given that cryptozoology has no evidence for such creatures, its really up to a given individual as to what the animal might look like.

as a side note, i like the logo, but the concept behind it is so tenuous. to use a name like anorak as a synonym for nerd or trainspotter type

is a great idea. but the bigfoot leap is about a mile too far. id change the name or make an anorak logo.

bigfoots( or bigfeet? lol) supposedly are, creatures that fall somewhere in between apes and humans.

1. humans are apes. in the same way something cannot be half mamal, half man.

2. bigfeet are imaginary. it seems that you are all eluding to harry from the hendersons as reference.

given that cryptozoology has no evidence for such creatures, its really up to a given individual as to what the animal might look like.

as a side note, i like the logo, but the concept behind it is so tenuous. to use a name like anorak as a synonym for nerd or trainspotter type

is a great idea. but the bigfoot leap is about a mile too far. id change the name or make an anorak logo.

I know humans are apes, but what I meant was a creature that is in between say, a chimp or gorilla, and a human. In any case it doesn't really matter because you are right, these are imaginary creatures. I guess my(and many others) vision of said phantom ape is more like a very hairy, Shaq sized, humanoid.

You know this is actually kinda funny because one of the first ideas I had for this contest was an Everglades based club called the Skunk Apes, which are the swamp dwelling versions of Bigfoot.

I agree with davidson, the Anorak nickname is a great idea, the logo is cool - but the logo for the nickname doesn't really work.

You could possibly use both concepts by creating the town of "Anorak" and call the team something like the Anorak Snowmen or the Anorak Sasquatch?

Hm.. maybe I should give a little more background into the name...

It's not an original idea, as I first heard of the term "anorak" when I picked up this album:

Having no clue as to what an anorak was, I did a little research and found someone asked the band this question:

What?s the meaning behind the title ?Anorak?? And why the bigfoot?

Anorak is a word that is used in the UK as a slang term for someone who is invested in knowing about something that not a lot of people care about. Like Star trek, Bigfoot, or Jesus. We chose Bigfoot for the front cover because he is a mystical piece of home that fits the definition we were going for with the title.

After reading that, I fell in love with the term and naturally thought of it when I found out about this contest...

Archived