Orlando City SC

Philadelphia Union

Toronto FC

West

Colorado Rapids

FC Dallas

Houston Dynamo

LA Galaxy

Los Angeles FC (or whatever Chivas is re-branded as)

Portland Timbers

Real Salt Lake

San Jose Earthquakes

Seattle Sounders FC

Sporting Kansas City

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Then maybe Minnesota or San Antonio as the 24th club

#1642 jlog3000

jlog3000

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 14:00

The "Ultimate" NFL Realignment

*AMERICAN (AFC)*
Baltimore
Buffalo
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Denver
Houston
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
Kansas City
Miami
New England
NY Jets
Oakland
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Tennessee

*NATIONAL (NFC)*
Arizona
Atlanta
Carolina
Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Green Bay
Minnesota
New Orleans
NY Giants
Philadelphia
St. Louis
San Francisco
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Washington

Keep current system. Get rid of 2 preseason games and make those regular season games. Play every team in your conference once (15 games, on an every other home-away basis) plus 3 games against your "traditional foes" aka current divisions. Top 6 go to playoffs from each conference.

Pretty simple, yet will never be done...

Sounds simple, but the schedule format would be like vintage league/conference play (without inter-league/inter-conference play) back in the old MLB days until 1996. But it might work out. Who'll know?

Oops my bad, sorry for forgetting Houston

so here we go:

Expansion in italics

East
Atlanta
Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
D.C. United
Miami
Montreal Impact
New England Revolution
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
Toronto FC

West
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
LA Galaxy
Los Angeles FC (or whatever Chivas is re-branded as)
Portland Timbers
Real Salt Lake
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders FC
Sporting Kansas City
Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Then maybe Minnesota or San Antonio as the 24th club

Nice. But imagine if it was in 4 divisions:

1.) East

a.) Atlantic - Atlanta, Miami, New York City FC, N.Y. Red Bulls, Orlando City, D.C. United
b.) Northeast - New England, Montreal, Toronto, Philadelphia, Columbus, Chicago

2.) West

a.) Midwest - Real Salt Lake, Colorado, Sporting K.C., Houston, Dallas, Minnesota or San Antonio
b.) Pacific - Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Chivas U.S.A., L.A. Galaxy, San Jose
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

#1643 Norva

Norva

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 22:22

I'd like the MLS to split into 4 divisions, but I don't think they plan to change the 2 conference/no division system ever.

Posted Image

#1644 jlog3000

jlog3000

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:58

I'd like the MLS to split into 4 divisions, but I don't think they plan to change the 2 conference/no division system ever.

Yeah, I bet that's the unfortunate part. But who knows if the MLS staff would plan to test in out under consideration?
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

#1645 29texan

29texan

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 21:32

Ok.... FBS Realignment v2

Realignment is finished... for now. But when it picks back up, what NEEDS to happen is to just have 8 conferences with 16 teams. I know this idea has been thrown out before, but this is my interpretation. This is what I see happening:

• The Big XII breaks up... So, that leaves 10 schools up for grabs.
  • Those 8 of those 10 Big XII shools are grabbed by 4 of the surviving conferences. The PAC 12 gains 16 by taking Texas, T-Tech, OU and Oklahoma St. The ACC takes West Virginia to join up with former Big East rivals, also beefing the number up to 16. The Big Ten gets their 16 by adding both Kansas schools. And the SEC, choosing one more Texas school, takes TCU. This leaves out Baylor and Iowa St.
  • The PAC 16, B1G, SEC, and ACC are the "Big Four", each with 16 schools. The remaining schools in the other conferences see this and know that they'd have to do something to try to compete. So the C-USA, American, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, and the Independents all form 4 conferences of 16 teams themselves.
  • The American Athletic Conference decides to become somewhat of a mini-NFL, creating one 2 conference league with 16 teams and 4 divisions. Of course, the NCAA rejected the idea, so instead, the AAC split into two conferences to represent the east and west. This would spawn the U.S. Athletic Conferences (E.U.S.A.C & W.U.S.A.C.) taking what is in the AAC and some of the remaining schools. The Mountain West basically becomes the W.U.S.A.C. and C-USA mostly making up the E.U.S.A.C.
  • With a few FCS schools moving up, it made it possible for the Sun Belt and MAC to have 16 schools in the conference as well. The MAC became the "Rust Belt Conference", as an opposite to the Sun Belt.
  • At the time, the College Football Playoff was expanded to 6 schools with consideration of making it an 8-team playoff. Seeing how there were now 8 "Super Conferences", it made sense to have 8 teams in a playoff, but the NCAA and the conference presidents knew instantly that there would be some deserving teams left out, so instead of 8, the powers that be decided to bite the bullet and make it a full 16 team playoff. No more, no less. There are no more independent schools and each conference has a title game.
  • The playoffs are set to where the conference winner will play one of the selected 8 teams in the first round (technically the playoffs start with the conference championship games, but I digress) and it's still set up to where one side of the bracket features the #1 seed while the other side features #2.
  • The First Round takes place at the home field of the top seed. The 2nd round takes place in 2 selected neutral fields, both sites hosting 2 games each. The Final Four would take place in 2 of the rotating bowl games that is now being used for the current format. The playoffs begin the 2nd week of December.

Here are the conferences and the playoff set-up.

B1G
- West // Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Kansas, Kansas St. 
- East // Purdue, Indiana, Ohio St., Michigan, Michigan St., Penn St., Rutgers, Maryland

SEC 
- West // Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St., Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, TCU
- East // Florida, Georgia, S. Carolina, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mizzou, UCF 

ACC
- Atlantic // Clemson, FSU., N.C. State, Louisville, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Wake Forest, WVU 
- Coastal // B.C., V-Tech, Duke, UNC, Miami, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Pitt

PAC 16
- North // Cal, Stanford, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St., Utah, Colorado 
- South // USC, UCLA, Arizona, ASU, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Ok. St.

E.U.S.A.C 
- Eastern // UConn, ECU, WKU, Navy, Ohio, USF, Cincinatti, Army
- Central // Baylor, Rice, Houston, SMU, Tulane, LTU, Tulsa, Memphis

W.U.S.A.C.
- Mountain // Iowa St., UTEP, UTSA, New Mexico, Wyomming, Colorado St., Air Force, BYU 
- Pacific // Boise St., Idaho, UNLV, Nevada, Fresno St, SDSU, Hawaii, Utah St.

Sun Belt 
- East // Charlotte, Mid Tenn St., FIU, FAU, Georgia St., Troy, USA, Southern Miss.
- West // SJSU, Texas St., Louisiana, ULM, Arkansas St., N. Texas, NMSU, Sam Houston St.

Rust Belt 
- East // ODU, UMass, Temple, Buffalo, Appalachian St., Marshal, Kent St., Akron
- West // NDSU, NIU, Ball St., EMU, CMU, WMU, Toledo, Bowling Green

13371722824_d82df51909_b.jpg

140khld.jpg

2hrhp3q.jpg

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#1646 Soarindude

Soarindude

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 18:54

A lot of these posts have teams in the state playing in the same division. There's a reason why they don't do that.

#1647 rams80

rams80
  • The 2013 Rams

• Members
  • 19,071 posts

Posted April 17, 2014 - 00:02

A lot of these posts have teams in the state playing in the same division. There's a reason why they don't do that.

A lot of these posts are saying :censored: Conference-specific TV deals as well.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.

Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert
POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

#1648 AnythingChicago

AnythingChicago
  • 2013-14 GHA Champions!

• Members
  • 3,827 posts

• Favourite Logos:Chicago Bulls primary

Posted April 17, 2014 - 11:08

Since the NBA is becoming a joke because of how much stronger the Western Conference is, here's my idea for NBA realignment:

American Conference

East Division

Boston Celtics

Brooklyn Nets

Charlotte Hornets

Orlando Magic

Toronto Raptors

Central Division

Cleveland Cavaliers

Detroit Pistons

Houston Rockets

Indiana Pacers

Oklahoma City Thunder

West Division

Denver Nuggets

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Phoenix Suns

San Antonio Spurs

National Conference

East Division

Atlanta Hawks

Miami Heat

New York Knicks

Philadelphia 76ers

Washington Wizards

Central Division

Chicago Bulls

Memphis Grizzlies

Milwaukee Bucks

Minnesota Timberwolves

New Orleans Pelicans

West Division

Dallas Mavericks

Los Angeles Lakers

Portland Trail Blazers

Sacramento Kings

Utah Jazz

And, hell, the NHL in the same format while I'm at it:

American Conference

East Division

Boston Bruins

Florida Panthers

Montreal Canadiens

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

Central Division

Buffalo Sabres

Detroit Red Wings

Nashville Predators

Ottawa Senators

Pittsburgh Penguins

West Division

Anaheim Ducks

Colorado Avalanche

Dallas Stars

Edmonton Oilers

Vancouver Canucks

National Conference

East Division

Carolina Hurricanes

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

Central Division

Chicago Blackhawks

Columbus Blue Jackets

Minnesota Wild

St. Louis Blues

Toronto Maple Leafs

West Division

Calgary Flames

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

Winnipeg Jets

Capital_Cup_Banner_zps9e4225cd.png

Signature courtesy of GoNordiques

#1649 the admiral

the admiral
  • BALEETED

• Members
  • 18,780 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 14:56

The NHL has no history of absorbing an equal league, so the National/American split makes no sense, and is especially clumsy considering most people in hockey refer to the AHL affiliates as "the American League" for short.

The NHL needs to be about regional rivalries in high-density population corridors. The key is to have a footprint that allows for them.
Indeed the perception of hockey outside of Canada can be cruel as the world sees it as a bunch of thugs on skates fighting each other while a band of drunken hooligans watch and it only matters during the Winter Olympics even though nobody really cares about that version of the Olympics.

#1650 AnythingChicago

AnythingChicago
  • 2013-14 GHA Champions!

• Members
  • 3,827 posts

• Favourite Logos:Chicago Bulls primary

Posted April 18, 2014 - 15:05

The NHL has no history of absorbing an equal league, so the National/American split makes no sense, and is especially clumsy considering most people in hockey refer to the AHL affiliates as "the American League" for short.

The NHL needs to be about regional rivalries in high-density population corridors. The key is to have a footprint that allows for them.

I don't disagree with that at all; I thought that an American/National Conference format would be beneficial for the NBA, and I put the NHL in the same format just for kicks and giggles. ^_^

Capital_Cup_Banner_zps9e4225cd.png

Signature courtesy of GoNordiques