DustDevil61

Your Winnipeg Jets Megathread

3,672 posts in this topic

That's the logo that Jetsowner uses.

They would be so foolish to use anything but "Winnipeg Jets." I don't want an NHL with a team called the "Manitoba Moose" in it. That sounds like a parody of a Canadian hockey team. Fine for the AHL (Saskatoon Moose? Thunder Bay Moose? Glendale Moose?), but not the big time.

An interview on TSN, & look at the center of the ice.... A Jets logo (although this may be someone's interpretation)

If he's pulling concessions of the table (and it turns out to be true), that will likely be the final nail. They were having a hell of a time trying to make it work WITH the concessions. Without them, it's over. Congrats to Winnipeg you finally have your Jets back :). To the people of Phoenix... well no one in Phoenix cared anyway.

A lot of this is conjecture and hearsay. Given how the league has bent over backwards to protect their Glendale Aberrations, I'll believe it when I see the puck drop at MTS Centre. Anything before that, and the situation is still subject to change in my view.

It's sort of like how Brett Favre isn't retired until he is.

I'm not sure why Hulsizer would pull his concessions at the eleventh hour. Isn't that the opposite of what you're supposed to do to close a deal in the eleventh hour? All he did was make the sale even more illegal. I'm beginning to suspect that perhaps this Matthew Hulsizer guy is not what he appears to be.

I'm not sure why Hulsizer would pull his concessions at the eleventh hour. Isn't that the opposite of what you're supposed to do to close a deal in the eleventh hour? All he did was make the sale even more illegal. I'm just beginning to suspect that perhaps this Matthew Hulsizer guy is not what he appears to be.

Well we knew that the day he wasn't actually buying the team but was having the city buy it for him. If he's pulling concessions it's his way of saying he's out without being the bad guy and actually coming out and saying, he's out.

June 31, 2006

People of Earth:

This letter is to enform you that I cannot insure my continued intrest in this transaction. Do to the complications in the proceedings, I have to resend my prior concessions and again guaranty that you pay me $197 million to day.

Love,

Matthew Huslzier

You are killing it this week.

I'm not sure why Hulsizer would pull his concessions at the eleventh hour. Isn't that the opposite of what you're supposed to do to close a deal in the eleventh hour? All he did was make the sale even more illegal. I'm beginning to suspect that perhaps this Matthew Hulsizer guy is not what he appears to be.

Well the league did find out about him when he emailed them claiming he was a Nigerian Prince looking for a place to stick some of his money.

So if Phoenix becomes Winnipeg, do we see a change in divisional alignment in the West?

Best move would be to swap PHX/WIN with Vancouver to create:

Pacific: VAN, DAL, ANA, LAK, SJ

Northwest: WIN, MIN, EDM, CGY, COL

Dallas is still the oddball, but I really don't see a better option. I'd rather see Minnesota in the Central, but that probably wont happen.

I think we're more likely going to see Colorado moved to the Pacific Division than Vancouver.

Vancouver's actually on the Pacific. I would rather see them move.

Breaking up the Canadian teams isn't that big a deal. Even if they leave the Northwest division the Canucks will still play the Flames and Oilers (and potentially Jets) plenty of times.

Good points. But the way I see it, it'd make more geographical sense for Colorado to replace Phoenix in the Pacific: while Vancouver is on the Pacific, they're also further Northwest than Colorado. That and from my understanding there's a bitter rivalry between Dallas and Colorado. And the NHL loves its bitter rivalries.

So if Phoenix becomes Winnipeg, do we see a change in divisional alignment in the West?

Best move would be to swap PHX/WIN with Vancouver to create:

Pacific: VAN, DAL, ANA, LAK, SJ

Northwest: WIN, MIN, EDM, CGY, COL

Dallas is still the oddball, but I really don't see a better option. I'd rather see Minnesota in the Central, but that probably wont happen.

I think we're more likely going to see Colorado moved to the Pacific Division than Vancouver.

Vancouver's actually on the Pacific. I would rather see them move.

Breaking up the Canadian teams isn't that big a deal. Even if they leave the Northwest division the Canucks will still play the Flames and Oilers (and potentially Jets) plenty of times.

Good points. But the way I see it, it'd make more geographical sense for Colorado to replace Phoenix in the Pacific: while Vancouver is on the Pacific, they're also further Northwest than Colorado. That and from my understanding there's a bitter rivalry between Dallas and Colorado. And the NHL loves its bitter rivalries.

Well the Stars/Aves rivalry has cooled since the days when both teams were Western Conference playoff mainstays.

Besides, this isn't the NFL where you have to be in the same division as your rivals to play them more then once. As long as rivals play in the same conference they'll play each other enough times to keep things interesting. The two teams don't need to be in the same division.

Kiwi_canadian posted this from The Hockey News in another thread, and this one makes me sit up and take notice:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/39788-Campbell-Coyotes-closing-in-on-move-to-Winnipeg.html

While all still conjectures and "sources", the line about part of the announced purchase price being used to expand MTS to a more NHL-like capacity really seems telling. The league is getting True North to give 3 years of ticket commitments, and an additional 2,500 seats, which would (I imagine) take 2 or 3 years to get in place. If all true, the pieces of a plan and a solid upfront commitment are starting to emerge.

I don't know how they'd fit the cheap seats in there. I'm not an architect. Luckily, architects are architects, and they'll find some way to do it. If the old Winnipeg Arena could be jury-rigged into something resembling an NHL rink back in the late '70s, I'm sure things have advanced such that they could figure it out. Maybe the upper decks will hang over the streets. I don't know. Obviously, it won't be ready for October; setting the Jets back up again will barely be ready by October. Guess they'll have to play some home games in Fargo and Saskatoon to start off year-after-next, finally making the Wild Bill Hunter/Ice Edge Holdings pipe dream a reality. Wouldn't even be the worst thing in the world, since you're going to have to make inroads in Saskatchdakotathunderbay to make it work.

New Jersey started the season on a massive road trip when the Prud was getting all finished and the Flames did it 1994.

So in the past we've seen teams start the season on a rather large trip out of town.

I was thinking something like lots of road games with two pairs of home-away-from-home games in Fargo and Sask. Figure by the time it's mid-November, it's too cold to build anything, so that's maybe a quarter of the 12-13 season before it'd be ready? But we're getting awfully ahead of ourselves.

Hold on a minute. Fargo might be good enough for Aersomith or Sting concerts, you know, things that Winnipeg wouldn't normally get.

BUT PRO HOCKEY? That's just crazy talk.

New Jersey started the season on a massive road trip when the Prud was getting all finished and the Flames did it 1994.

So in the past we've seen teams start the season on a rather large trip out of town.

The Rangers (and Knicks for that matter) both have to start 2011-12 on a massive roadtrip. Neither can host a preseason game, the Rangers are opening in Stockholm followed by a west coast trip at some point before opening at MSG sometime in November b/c of Phase I of the MSG Renovations.

Hold on a minute. Fargo might be good enough for Aersomith or Sting concerts, you know, things that Winnipeg wouldn't normally get.

It's no more ridiculous than putting NHL games in Helsinki, and unlike Helsinki, two games (maybe even just preseasons) in Fargo might solidify North Dakota as Jets territory.

It's no more ridiculous than putting NHL games in Helsinki, and unlike Helsinki, two games (maybe even just preseasons) in Fargo might solidify North Dakota as Jets territory.

As opposed to what? No Man's Land?

Coyotes death clock: 2 games

I'd make a fancy graphic for that, but eh.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of attendance they get at game 3 and if they lose to go down 3-0, it'll be really interesting to see what they get at game 4. This might be the first playoff series where one team has home ice for every game.