Supermarket Packaging Changes

Coast2CoastAM2006

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if this exactly fits into this topic (but it certainly does not deserve its own). Anyway, I had a job working at a Safeway grocery store for about 6 months until i quit a month or two ago, as you can imagine I observed a lot of different packaging changes. But this one stood out to me, I've been meaning to post it here for a long time but i am only now just getting to it.

So it must have been late last year, there was this big kosher display in the back of the store that had common products but they were kosher. I was putting back this bag of Lays potato chips when I noticed something odd.

0429112330.jpg

I don't know packaging labels by heart but something didn't seem right. I looked both ways for my manager and then took a picture and made my way over to where the rest of the chips were. I found what I thought i would find, a bad of the same kind of Lays that was not kosher.

0429112304.jpg

Notice how the Y on the kosher product has a loop and the non-kosher product doesn't? Why is this? Do they seriously find it necessary to make such a small change? is there another reason that I don't know about? Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

Cheer detergent has changed their packaging design. Again.

Old (I think this is the previous design):

cheer-detergent.jpg

New:

packshot.jpg

If you do a Google image search for "cheer detergent," you'll see how many different designs that Cheer has used.

May God bless you all and fill your hearts with faith, hope, and love!

I'm not sure if this exactly fits into this topic (but it certainly does not deserve its own). Anyway, I had a job working at a Safeway grocery store for about 6 months until i quit a month or two ago, as you can imagine I observed a lot of different packaging changes. But this one stood out to me, I've been meaning to post it here for a long time but i am only now just getting to it.

So it must have been late last year, there was this big kosher display in the back of the store that had common products but they were kosher. I was putting back this bag of Lays potato chips when I noticed something odd.

0429112330.jpg

I don't know packaging labels by heart but something didn't seem right. I looked both ways for my manager and then took a picture and made my way over to where the rest of the chips were. I found what I thought i would find, a bad of the same kind of Lays that was not kosher.

0429112304.jpg

Notice how the Y on the kosher product has a loop and the non-kosher product doesn't? Why is this? Do they seriously find it necessary to make such a small change? is there another reason that I don't know about? Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?

When I was abroad in India and Germany I only saw the curly Y.

• 2 weeks later...

2 changes.

1) Gatorade, dont have a pic but basically the G bolt logo is a but smaller and now outlines in dark grey, so gatorade still looks mediocre, to me it suffers the same problem the old nestea 20oz's did, it uses GRAY as its label color, so all of them look diet! I have to really make sure I dont get the G2 ones since they taste worse. So the regular gatordes should either be green or the color of the drink! G2 can stay gray.

2)There seems to be now 1.25 liters of coke products. really? Theres the .5 liters, 20oz, 1 liters, 2 liters. and now 1.25 liters?

So heres a pic, which ALSO shows a NEW label for Seagram's Ginger Ale!

coke125bottles.png

2 changes.

1) Gatorade, dont have a pic but basically the G bolt logo is a but smaller and now outlines in dark grey, so gatorade still looks mediocre, to me it suffers the same problem the old nestea 20oz's did, it uses GRAY as its label color, so all of them look diet! I have to really make sure I dont get the G2 ones since they taste worse. So the regular gatordes should either be green or the color of the drink! G2 can stay gray.

2)There seems to be now 1.25 liters of coke products. really? Theres the .5 liters, 20oz, 1 liters, 2 liters. and now 1.25 liters?

So heres a pic, which ALSO shows a NEW label for Seagram's Ginger Ale!

coke125bottles.png

Edit: Quick Google search shows that the 1.25L size was for Coke's 125th anniversary. So where ever you are, Coke must be the bottler and distributor for Dr Pepper.

I've been noticing Coca-Cola 16oz bottles with an enlarged logo on them. Diet Coke bottles also have the logo enlarged.

IMG_0056.jpg

TATC Coke.

TATCoke

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• 2 weeks later...

Corona has a new bottle with a full-bottle picture design replacing the classic label

corona3.jpg

I don't really like it. The old one was iconic and was unmistakably Corona. This looks more like some sort of wine cooler.

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Corona has a new bottle with a full-bottle picture design replacing the classic label

corona3.jpg

I don't really like it. The old one was iconic and was unmistakably Corona. This looks more like some sort of wine cooler.

Get them while you can, they'll be collectibles soon. Backlash is gonna be harsh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

corona3.jpg

Get them while you can, they'll be collectibles soon. Backlash is gonna be harsh.

They are/were Limited Editions,

"The objective of the campaign is to help consumers find their happy place, wherever and whatever that may be. The designs reflect Corona?s personality as an approachable, confident, smart, timeless, easy going and fun loving premium quality brand. The goals of the packaging design were to increase visibility at retail, drive the intent to purchase and create WOW and it worked. The brightly coloured bottles are generating a lot of curiosity and appeal. The new designs also elevate Corona above the crowd of "me too" beer brands that are flooding the market."

-Shikatani Lacroix President Jean-Pierre Lacroix

It's not a great picture but they made the Hawaiian Punch mascot more "human"

21081112030601.jpg

while not on the packaging, Planters has been using a more 'real' version of Mr. Peanut.

planters1.jpg

i don't know what it is but i really prefer the cartoon drawing here. I just don't like the computer generated version of it. it just seems lifeless and not as iconic.

planters-peanuts.jpg

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

It's not a great picture but they made the Hawaiian Punch mascot more "human"

21081112030601.jpg

while not on the packaging, Planters has been using a more 'real' version of Mr. Peanut.

planters1.jpg

i don't know what it is but i really prefer the cartoon drawing here. I just don't like the computer generated version of it. it just seems lifeless and not as iconic.

planters-peanuts.jpg

and creepy to boot!

koizim said:

COYS and Go Sox

corona3.jpg

The best part is you can still see and feel the printed-on labels underneath the full wraps.

#OhGodWhyDidIBuyTheseIHateCorona

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 2 weeks later...

corona3.jpg

The best part is you can still see and feel the printed-on labels underneath the full wraps.

#OhGodWhyDidIBuyTheseIHateCorona

They are doing it again.

This time in select markets and the labels feature six teams from Mexican First Division.

Archived