Supermarket Packaging Changes

Coast2CoastAM2006

You said "POP". :lol:

What, was I supposed to say "SODA"? Now that's weird.

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

total-county.gif

Look, Ma! I can see my county from here!

The thing I always wonder when I see that map is about the green. If you don't call pop, coke, or soda, what do you call it?

I know it's not represented at all on the map, but old folks around here call it tonic.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Kroger canned vegetable packaging change...

img1306341093398.jpg

(Old on left, new on right)

All of Kroger's packaging is changing to this style. Pizza, ice cream, frozen veggies, everything. I have to say sometimes I like it, and sometimes (like on the canned foods) it's awful. It looks fantastic on frozen vegetables...

tumblr_liile3w9oT1qdgbiwo1_400.png

Snackwells has completely changed their look

Old:

snackwells.jpg

New:

creme-sandwich-cookies.png

I think its definite downgrade, they got rid of a well recognized look. yea its still green, but thats even a different shade now!

Also, it looks like its being marketed towards mostly females now.

• 4 weeks later...

The other month it was announced that the all the store brands of stores owned by Supervalu, will become "Essential Everyday".

This includes ACME near me, so I took a picture of the first item I spotted.

Old on left, new on right.

acmetoessential.jpg

Look wise, I like it, upgrade (well at least the cereal, will be interesting to see other products)

Alot of stores seems to going this route tho.

I think the only store near me that has its name as the store brand is now shop rite.

Well, Giant store brand products are still referred to Giant brand, but i doesnt say giant on the packagaing anymore (just the wedges logo).

The throwback packaging trend now invades the laundry room... Target is selling Tide, Downy, and Bounce in retro packaging.

PG-retro-packaging-484-363.jpg

PG-retro-packaging-Tide-full.jpg

Compare to...

TideLiquidDetergent32Loads50oz.jpg

The retro Tide bottle looks dirty to me. I think you need some white in your laundry detergent packaging so the colors pop and look "fresh".

Australian brand maggi has changed the packaging for it's instant noodles range. Definitely an upgrade, although the taste definitely isn't! The old one is on the left.

5642880279_f97ffe1cde_m.jpg5642880443_80185d1e14_m.jpg

When I was in NZ and AUS I basically lived on Maggi. The chicken flavo(u)r was disgusting! It tasted nothing like the chicken flavor here in the US. But I enjoyed the "oriental" flavor, which tasted much more like the chicken flavor over here.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

On the first page, I noticed a comment (old now, but felt like chiming in on it) that stated companies are seemingly shifting towards the 'generic' look now. I've noticed this too, and fresh out of hours upon hours of psychology and marketing classes, I have a theory: we're drawn to store brand immediately because of the price difference. Often times, a company like Kraft manufactures store brands for grocery stores, anyway. A business deal like that is surely backfiring now, seeing as how several grocery chains sell their products like hotcakes (Lucerne at Safeway is a great example). It's all about perception: what we see is our reality. A more 'generic' looking package says 'affordable.' Call me crazy, but it's highly likely.

And a fun aside to the perception is reality comment: Smirnoff beat Grey Goose in a blind taste test that I watched a case study on. It's amazing what kind of power brand equity and perception can hold for a company.

/marketing nerd rant

The other month it was announced that the all the store brands of stores owned by Supervalu, will become "Essential Everyday".

This includes ACME near me, so I took a picture of the first item I spotted.

Old on left, new on right.

acmetoessential.jpg

Look wise, I like it, upgrade (well at least the cereal, will be interesting to see other products)

Alot of stores seems to going this route tho.

I think the only store near me that has its name as the store brand is now shop rite.

Well, Giant store brand products are still referred to Giant brand, but i doesnt say giant on the packagaing anymore (just the wedges logo).

I thought Acme had the "Essensia" brand, which from what I remember (don't shop at Acme anymore) was pretty decent stuff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Nestea changed the look of their 20oz and 2 liters and stuff

Old - New

nesteal.jpg

Definite upgrade just cause the old packaging used gray, which I usually associate with diet, so that didnt make much sense to me.

You're so right. I only buy diet iced tea, and I grabbed that old bottle a ton of times thinking it was diet. Luckily I almost always caught it before paying.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On the first page, I noticed a comment (old now, but felt like chiming in on it) that stated companies are seemingly shifting towards the 'generic' look now. I've noticed this too, and fresh out of hours upon hours of psychology and marketing classes, I have a theory: we're drawn to store brand immediately because of the price difference. Often times, a company like Kraft manufactures store brands for grocery stores, anyway. A business deal like that is surely backfiring now, seeing as how several grocery chains sell their products like hotcakes (Lucerne at Safeway is a great example). It's all about perception: what we see is our reality. A more 'generic' looking package says 'affordable.' Call me crazy, but it's highly likely.

And a fun aside to the perception is reality comment: Smirnoff beat Grey Goose in a blind taste test that I watched a case study on. It's amazing what kind of power brand equity and perception can hold for a company.

/marketing nerd rant

I agree, the recent switch over on the Giant store brand (and stop & shop and the other giant chain too) items is proof of this, as the packaging before would resemble what the item was trying to be. And now the new packaging all share the same design, just with different colors and such.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived