AFL Rebrands

9erssteve

Okay so it's the offseason for football junkies such as myself, and in my desperate need for a football fix it came to my attention that the AFL is back this year. What also came to my attention is that some of the identities are for want of a better phrase pretty fugly.

So while I have some time on my hands I thought I'd have a stab at tackling some of what I think are the worst offenders, namely the Battlewings, the Vigilantes and the gradient strewn disaster that is the Iron. I may get onto some of the others I'll see how things go. Plan is to do just the logos and helmets at present but if all goes well I may throw my first uni concepts in there as well.

Anyway first up I give you the Battlewings rebrand. Always thought their current logo looks more like a plastic bag stuck on a barb wire fence than any kind of real bird so it's back to basics with this one. Style is slightly more cartoony than I would have done for an NFL franchise but when you look at identities such as the Yarddawgs one I dont think that's such a bad thing. I've currently got two versions one in the original (or very close to) colour scheme and the other in a variation on the Tampa Bay Bucs colours as I felt the current scheme was dangerously close to the Eagles scheme and what with the names both being bird related I thought that maybe wasn't such a good idea. Not totally sold on changing the colours it's kind of a drastic move and probably wouldn't sit well with fans but if anyone has other colour scheme suggestions feel free to make them and I might give them a go.

Will probably make a start on the Vigilantes next so I'm really in stride before tackling the Iron logo.

As always any C&C's you have would be appreciated, thanks for looking and enjoy.

9erssteve

Current Logo

Bossier.jpg

Rebrand with current colours

Battlewings-logo-slick-green.png

Rebrand with new colours

Battlewings-logo-slick-red.png

9ersstevesig.png

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent work, 9ers. The rendering is top notch, and everything from the tails at the ends of the script to the spiffy helmet stripes is well-thought out.

I actually prefer their current color scheme, The eagle looks so much better with those colors, anyways. The helmet stripe looks great, except the way that you placed it on the helmet. I think it should curve and fit the contour of the helmet more accurately, right now it makes it looks flat.

Other than that, I think you have one heck of a logo. Looking foward to the rest of the series!

(P.S.- uniforms?)

I like your idea of re-doing the new AFL since I noticed how so many of the "newer" teams to the league that were originally in lower leagues have some weak identities, including the BattleWings. Yours is much better and even the helmet striping works although it is different. The AFL is he kind of league where new/different ideas like that have chance to work. I really hate the Vigilantes logo since to me the previous Desperados had a much better logo and I am excited to see what you do with some of these logos that are good ideas but just not executed well (like the Iron or Talons. oh I forgot to mention that I like the real colors of the Bucs' colors.

Excellent work, 9ers. The rendering is top notch, and everything from the tails at the ends of the script to the spiffy helmet stripes is well-thought out.

I actually prefer their current color scheme, The eagle looks so much better with those colors, anyways. The helmet stripe looks great, except the way that you placed it on the helmet. I think it should curve and fit the contour of the helmet more accurately, right now it makes it looks flat.

Other than that, I think you have one heck of a logo. Looking foward to the rest of the series!

(P.S.- uniforms?)

Yeah you're right about that, I haven't quite nailed that part yet. It's because the lines aren't parallel that's what's made it tricky and is probably what's throwing things off. I'll go double check how the NFL do it with the Panthers stripes as they're not parallel either and see if I can do a better job of it.

Thanks for the compliments.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Awesome update...upgrade city! Im looking forward to seeing the updates...so many of the teams are in dire need of a new look.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Thanks for all the compliments everyone, much appreciated, although I cant believe there's no one out there with any criticisms, if you have them please share.

Okay quick fix to the helmet stripes as they did look pretty off now that I've come back to it today, and first (ever) attempt at uni's, so go easy on me (only kidding if they suck tell me), went with the current colour scheme as everyone seems to prefer that.

Enjoy, I'm off to make a start on the Vigilantes.

9erssteve

Battlewings-logo-slick-green2.png

Battlewings-unis-1.png

9ersstevesig.png

Those uniforms look great, similar to one of my fantasy teams in my Football League thread. The helmet stripes look a little better, and I think you could get away with what you have. The only criticism I was going to give on the logo was that some of the outlines are too thin, most definately in the eye and beak areas. This isn't noticeable, and doesn't hinder the logo, so I wouldn't worry about it. Great job!

Wow. I'm lovin' this concept. I especially like the word mark; the feather design at the first and last letters is a nice touch. I even like the uniforms. Keep the original colors though - I'm not sure if Battle Wing fans will be receptive to the red and pewter color scheme (even if it is nice).

I honestly can't wait to see some of the other teams you may have planned.

I think the only thing I would change about this logo is possibly making the sleeves silver instead of white on the home jersey, although it looks really good right now. Excellent job.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

• 1 month later...

Okay here's a first glimpse at the Dallas Vigilantes rebrand. No logotype as yet will prob start that tomorrow or monday. I need to take some time away from this as I'm not sure if something is actually off with it or whether it's just because it's taken a little longer than expected and I've been staring at it so long I'm just trying to find fault with it.

Current Logo

Dallas.jpg

Rebrand draft one (okay it's actually iteration four but it's the first one I've let anyone else see! lol)

VIGILANTES-FOUR.png

As always comments and criticisms welcomed, and yes there will be a logotype and possibly uniforms to follow so bear with me on those.

Thanks for viewing.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Okay here's a first glimpse at the Dallas Vigilantes rebrand. No logotype as yet will prob start that tomorrow or monday. I need to take some time away from this as I'm not sure if something is actually off with it or whether it's just because it's taken a little longer than expected and I've been staring at it so long I'm just trying to find fault with it.

Current Logo

Dallas.jpg

Rebrand draft one (okay it's actually iteration four but it's the first one I've let anyone else see! lol)

VIGILANTES-FOUR.png

As always comments and criticisms welcomed, and yes there will be a logotype and possibly uniforms to follow so bear with me on those.

Thanks for viewing.

9erssteve

kill the guns in the logo. not for pc reasons but because it makes the logo seem cluttered. The skull is a strong enough logo on its own.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Current Logo

Dallas.jpg

VIGILANTES-FOUR.png

Thanks for viewing.

9erssteve

kill the guns in the logo. not for pc reasons but because it makes the logo seem cluttered. The skull is a strong enough logo on its own.

Awesome logo! I agree, seperate the pistols and use them as a secondary logo, for something like the jersey sleeves. Make the hat band like the Texas flag and send this franchise this logo to buy from you. They couldn't find any better. That is if this league is going to survive, seems like some of the better teams didn't come back. Awesome.

CLHEL2.png

Gorgeous render on the skull. Kudos on that. I agree that the current placement of the pistols clutters things and makes the logo unnecessarily wide. But I think they look pretty good, so maybe try a different arrangement to see if you can created a more balanced composition.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived