Arizona Diamondbacks

Lights Out

dbacks1.png

dbacks2.png

My favorite baseball uniform ever is the Diamondbacks' TATC wrap-around design. It is completely unparalleled in terms of originality, design, and execution. The only bad part about the uniform for me is that it was only used during the promotion.... and, of course, that goofy number font every team was forced to use.

Of course, Arizona's colors and logo set have changed drastically since 1999. Teal, black, and gold has turned into crimson, black, and cream, and the snake logo has become more badass. However, the uniforms are WAY too old-timey to even try to match with the logos, IMO. The classical uniforms do not mesh with the modern script and numbers.

To give the D-Backs a modern look, I went back to the future. The wrap-around snake, I felt, would look even better using the new snake head and colors. Therefore, I decided that I would take the bold step of leaving a script off entirely. The snake would become their script. After all, who's going to confuse them with the Red Sox when there's a giant snake on their uniforms?

Arizona goes back to cream uniforms at home, like they used from 1998-2006. However, there are no more road grays. Instead, a striking black vest with the design is used on the road, to strike fear into the hearts of the home team. As for the caps, they remain the exact same as the caps they currently use at home and on the road. There is absolutely no need to change them, IMO.

As for the vest-haters on this forum, yes, it's a vest again. However, I couldn't make the design work on anything but a vest. Also, I realize that the black stroke on the home uniform is VERY rough and pixellated - Photoshop did that, I did not intend for it to be grainy. I doubt I'll be able to fix that.

Comments?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Love it, though I'd use a contrasting color for the NOB. Red on red isn't working for me.

Also, did you try it with everything reversed, so the number and snake head would be on the other sides? Just a thought.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, did you try it with everything reversed, so the number and snake head would be on the other sides? Just a thought.

No, actually. I wanted to recreate the original TATC uniforms as best I could with the current logo set and colors, and that was the placement of the snake head on the original. I might try reversing it for the road unis.

xLmjWVv.png

Love the update, but did you shift the back numbers over a bit? I thought they looked better placed where they were on the original.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think you did a great job trying to recreate those uniforms. These are perfect. By the way, which baseball template are you using?

Thanks! I've been using one of Jaxon's uniform templates, but I'm afraid I can't find them on DeviantArt anymore to give you the link. The 59Fifty template is also now missing. Maybe you could ask him for them?

Love the update, but did you shift the back numbers over a bit? I thought they looked better placed where they were on the original.

If I did, it was completely accidental. My bad.

I think it would look better if the NOB was directly over the number as usual, just make the stripes on the back symmetrical. Great recreation altogether.

If they were symmetrical, it wouldn't really look like a coiling snake anymore, more like a curled garden hose, IMO. Also, they weren't symmetrical on the original uniform. Thanks for the compliment, though.

xLmjWVv.png

Wow, that looks amazing. I'm not saying the D-Backs would ever use this, but it's something I really think baseball needs: originality. Like you said, if Arizona used something like this, you'd never, ever confuse them for any of the other teams that all look the same in red: Boston, LA, Texas, Cincinnati, etc. This is a great concept if only because it makes at least one team in the MLB as little a conformist as possible.

Really cool, but i thing you should add like little triangles or a pattern to the snake.

The reason I didn't originally is because the snake cap logo doesn't have triangles all over the snake, just at the top.

i think you need go back to drawing board on this concept

Um... why? Any particular reason, or do we have a troll in our midst?

xLmjWVv.png

Very nice adaptation of the TATC unis. I think the snake is perfect but I would change the name/number on the back to be centered as in a normal uniform. I like traditional baseball uniforms, but it would be nice to see one or two teams really step out of the box like this.

This is surprisingly brilliant. I would normally view such a radical departure from the norm with trepidation, but this is awesome.

I much prefer the reversed jersey with the Player Name above the number, though if the name was in its traditional spot I might like the second version more - with the lower than normal number there is a blank space that I think needs filling.

I wouldn't change much (or anything) else on this set, I think you nailed it.

When I read the description for this concept, honestly, this isn't what I was thinking of :P . With that said I really like this, and other concepts you have been doing as of late. The only thing I would like to see on this concept, however is placing the NOB in the normal place. Again, great work here!

30vja50.png

GIANTS_REDSOX_CELTICS_LIGHTNING_BULLS

Cool, but where does the snake end. It is kinda like some kinda Escher painting. You have a head then it wraps around like some kinda belt. I think you need to have a tapered end on the back. Also you need to continue the diamond back pattern from the snake head on the entire snake body.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

dbacks6.png

dbacks8.png

Absolute final version. The snake actually ends on this one - its rattler is now visible on the front. The NOB has been moved above the number and both have been centered. Also, I wanted to match the cap logo, which doesn't continue the diamond pattern along the entire snake's body. Therefore, I didn't continue the diamond pattern.

Thanks everybody for your very nice comments. I think I've come a long way from those disastrous Ravens re-colors, haven't I?

xLmjWVv.png

I definitely like where this has gone, but I'm trying to three-dimensionalize this in my head and the top coil on the back in particular feels like it is set at a weird angle compared to the rest of the snake. It'd line up with the front view, but it'd look like it met at the wrong angle because the ends that meet both point downwards at the shirt's side seam.

Hope that made sense.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived