• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gary.

Gary.
  • Freddy Got You!

• Members
  • 19,257 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 - 17:12

I got a status from a good friend of mine as she is trying to figure out can you upload a animated gif file onto your facebook photo albums or profile.

Her Status

Does anybody know how to upload a gif file on Facebook? Is it possible? I did some research and most people say its not possible, but some people say they can get the animation to repeat once.... ???? HELP please :]

Can it be done? I ask this community because I know someone will know

glendale_sig.jpg

#2 quantum

quantum
  • I just a what, bitch?

• Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 - 18:40

I believe Facebook prohibits animated gifs. FB prides itself on not looking like MySpace.
Posted Image
"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

#3 Coast2CoastAM2006

Coast2CoastAM2006
  • The Yes! revolution

• Members
  • 6,831 posts

• Favourite Logos:Islanders Fisherman

Posted April 29, 2010 - 07:55

I got a status from a good friend of mine as she is trying to figure out can you upload a animated gif file onto your facebook photo albums or profile.

Her Status

Does anybody know how to upload a gif file on Facebook? Is it possible? I did some research and most people say its not possible, but some people say they can get the animation to repeat once.... ???? HELP please :]

no you can't. I know, i've tried and you can't upload an animated GIF.

Islanders96.png

C2CAM2006 doesn't exist, he is a figment of your imagination.  Now let me ask you, do you know who I am? I'll tell you who I am. My name is Frank Garrett and I work for Duncan Construction and I am the one that is going to tell you that my pen is bigger than yours because I buy my pens from Pen Island.

#4 debwong

debwong
  • Previewing
  • 1 posts

Posted May 14, 2010 - 21:03

Her Status

Yes, you can. What you have to do is upload a small animated gif (about 50 KB or less)as your profile photo (Facebook will flatten animated gifs which are to large, but do not detect the smaller ones). It will then be in your profile's album. Your icon itself will NOT be animated. However, you will see it as animated in your Facebook profile photos folder, and by going to that photo, & clicking on "share", it will appear on your wall as animated. - Deb Wong

Edited by debwong, May 14, 2010 - 21:04.

#5 krakers

krakers

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 01:35

Her Status

Yes, you can. What you have to do is upload a small animated gif (about 50 KB or less)as your profile photo (Facebook will flatten animated gifs which are to large, but do not detect the smaller ones). It will then be in your profile's album. Your icon itself will NOT be animated. However, you will see it as animated in your Facebook profile photos folder, and by going to that photo, & clicking on "share", it will appear on your wall as animated. - Deb Wong

Tried the small animated gif, can't get it working. Anyone any ideas about this ?

http://www.facebook....id=443037939988

Big animation, source code shows it as a .jpg when inspected. I'd love to know how they did it .....

#6 CoasterLine

CoasterLine

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 13:59

You can rename .gif, .bmp, .jpg, and .png interchangeably and the web browser will be able to display it. It wont be a true JPEG, it is whatever the image's content-type is, which if you take a look at that images information, it displays its content-type as an animated gif.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

#7 krakers

krakers

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 18:13

You can rename .gif, .bmp, .jpg, and .png interchangeably and the web browser will be able to display it. It wont be a true JPEG, it is whatever the image's content-type is, which if you take a look at that images information, it displays its content-type as an animated gif.

Yup - understand that, but FB now flattens all files uploaded (irrespective of size). Was just wondering if someone knew of a method to get round the flattening process, as one obviously exists specifically for FB.

#8 CoasterLine

CoasterLine

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 - 23:01

There is no "secret" to the method. Anything that doesn't need to be resized will animated, sub the thumbnails. Profile Thumbnails are always generated from the base image. If the base image is under 120x120 then the animation will remain intact through both the minimized and maximized views. Anything over that size will need to be resized to fit as a minimized gallery thumbnail, and will lose animation, however the full-size should remain animated.

Shaun Rajewski
Lead Developer, Founder
Epic Web Studios LLC.

#9 onlinemelvin

onlinemelvin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 03:05

Here is a way to add animated gif into facebook profile:
http://melroz.blogsp...ur-wall-in.html

#10 CS85

CS85
  • Fruggin' rite, shikagOOO

• Members
  • 11,707 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 11:26

you can link to them but not upload them without some annoying app which will likely get blocked by your friends because, as others have said, fb isn't my_________ or whatever they call themselves.

RfUid8V.png

twitter

#11 onlinemelvin

onlinemelvin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 21:05

Also be careful in using applications of facebook. Facebook has recently leaked its user's personnel information to third parties. This is mainly happened to those who uses facebook applications. Check this article:
http://melroz.blogsp...nformation.html

#12 meril273

meril273
  • Previewing
  • 1 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 09:53

Here is a way to upload animated gifs or moving pics to your album .. check this link

Edited by meril273, August 8, 2012 - 22:16.