Belleville Bulls/Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull

gueman

Ok so every now and then there is a post about a HS stealing the logo of a pro team. But I have never seen an explanation of how the Belleville Bulls were able to use the Schlitz Malt Liquor Logo. BullsBulls.png

How did this happen?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well...to begin with, while they are illustrating a bull in a similar pose, the two logos look to be rather different in the not-so-subtle and basic details. Beyond one possibly loosely inspiring the other, there is no logo ripoff here.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't know what sort of rose-colored glasses you guys are looking at this with, but this would definitely hold up in court as copyright infringement. The two bulls, aside from color and minor proportional differences, are much too similar. A good rule of thumb is to plug one in for the other. Could the average Joe notice a difference? If not, then the images are probably too similar. In this case, color the Belleville logo black and blue and throw it on the Schlitz bottle, few, if any, would notice.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't know what sort of rose-colored glasses you guys are looking at this with, but this would definitely hold up in court as copyright infringement. The two bulls, aside from color and minor proportional differences, are much too similar. A good rule of thumb is to plug one in for the other. Could the average Joe notice a difference? If not, then the images are probably too similar. In this case, color the Belleville logo black and blue and throw it on the Schlitz bottle, few, if any, would notice.

By that same logic, Louisville rips off Illinois State. The tail's different, the entire bloody forebody is drawn differently, the rest of the Schlitz bull is....fatter...for lack of a better word, the ears are different, and pretty much the rest of the bodies are drawn differently as well.

Oh and to cap all of this off, Belleville hasn't used that logo since 1998, and if that brand post-dates the general Schlitz re-introduction, that logo dates to 2008.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

OK...here's what I think happened. In both cases the designers were instructed to produce a design of a realistic-looking bull standing in said aggressively menacing manner. The fact that the outcomes appear similar on the surface is not surprising, based on the fact that there's only so many ways you can do "realistic-looking bull standing in said aggressively menacing manner".

I would not say either rips off the other, just that both were born from roughly the same design requirements.

Today, we are all otaku.

It does not matter what they are using as a primary now. The team still uses the Bull logo to generate revenue. I have a Bulls throwback jersey that my mother in law who lives in Belleville gave me for Christmas this year. And it has the Bull logo. It is the most popular logo the team uses, the cartoon bull, is not as loved as the "Schlitz Bull" as it is even called in Belleville. When I wear the jersey here in the Mid Atlantic everyone would comment on it as the Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull, not that they know a rats ass about the OHL, so that becomes a branding issue. If I were a team I would want a logo that was unique and could not be confused with another product. There is not a copywright infringement judge that would not rule that the Bulls violated the copyright of the beer company. The Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull dates back to1963. Well before the Belleville Bulls. Even if the brand was in decline, it never went out of production. So there has to be a better reason why the team is able to use the logo.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

In my limited research, I didn't find any trademark on the Schlitz bull. Yes, there are distinct qualities that you can say one influenced the other, but also understand that it's not trademark infringement unless someone brings a suit against another party. For all we know Schlitz/Pabst looked the other way as they saw this as free marketing for them. Of course this could also be like the Oregon Ducks/Arizona Sun Devils whose logos look very Disney-like because they were designed by Disney artists. It could be that both these bulls were designed by the same guy, therefore they look the same. Find the artist and you'll find the issue.

In my limited research, I didn't find any trademark on the Schlitz bull. Yes, there are distinct qualities that you can say one influenced the other, but also understand that it's not trademark infringement unless someone brings a suit against another party. For all we know Schlitz/Pabst looked the other way as they saw this as free marketing for them. Of course this could also be like the Oregon Ducks/Arizona Sun Devils whose logos look very Disney-like because they were designed by Disney artists. It could be that both these bulls were designed by the same guy, therefore they look the same. Find the artist and you'll find the issue.

Well I think you may have provided the most logical answer, in '82 the brand was almost non existent in the US let alone Canada. Also there were ownership changes at that time Strohs to Pabst to Miller. So it might very well be a case of they either over looked it or did not care. I was hoping some one knew for sure.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

P. J. O'Rourke

They're similar but not identical.

It's just like how GNC uses a wordmark almost identical to GMC. It's just like how various sports teams named "Eagles" all have similar looking logos. Is it "inspired?" Probably. Is the pose near identical? Yes. But at the end of the day, the two logos are different and that's what matters.

They're similar but not identical.

It's just like how GNC uses a wordmark almost identical to GMC. It's just like how various sports teams named "Eagles" all have similar looking logos. Is it "inspired?" Probably. Is the pose near identical? Yes. But at the end of the day, the two logos are different and that's what matters.

Not offering an opinion on this specific case, but that statement is wrong.

The logos don't need to be identical to infringe. What you're saying is the equivalent of the mythical "(fill in a number)% rule" where you can use somebody else's trademarked logo and change x percentage of it, making it yours.

"Similar but not identical" is not good enough to win a lawsuit.

While the similarities are obvious I can't find any part of the logos that are identical. The stance, while similar has been altered. The positioning of the front legs and tail are moved. The detail of the musculature of the bull are different. The area of the most similarity is the head, but honestly, draw the head of a bull (minus all the detail) and see what it comes out looking like.

Has the question of which logo was around first been addressed? Or are we assuming that Belleville ripped of Schlitz? That Belleville logo was in use in the 1981-82 season according to Mr. Creamer's site. When was the Sclitz version introduced?

Archived