New Fox NFL Graphics Package

Davidson

check out the new fox graphic package for the nfl.

apparently this will be used across the output.

whilst its pretty daring and a very different direction for sports broadcasting (the nearest i have seen to something like this is the bbc sports package) im not sure whether or not i like it?

what do you guys reckon?

http://motionographer.com/nfl-on-fox-sports-redesign-by-michael-cina-qa/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like BBC coverage of Wimbledon. Doesn't really work for the NFL. But we're burying the lede here:

Cleatus the Fox Sports robot

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

check out the new fox graphic package for the nfl.

apparently this will be used across the output.

whilst its pretty daring and a very different direction for sports broadcasting (the nearest i have seen to something like this is the bbc sports package) im not sure whether or not i like it?

what do you guys reckon?

http://motionographer.com/nfl-on-fox-sports-redesign-by-michael-cina-qa/

Whoah! Vastly different. Almost looks like a conceptual hoax. Bland at first, but I like the idea of simplicity.

Seeing it in motion should enhance everything, though I don't think I'm too fond of the fonts. Plus I wonder if the colors will be altered with certain home teams. Interesting there's no team logos either.

Ewwww. That's terrible. I'm all for simple, but that's just bad. That's a ridiculous amount of unused space taking up the picture, and the color scheme is distacting. On a tangent, why is teal seemingly making a comeback? I have nothing against teal in general, but after going to Walmart today, it's like the 90's vomited all over the place. Now Fox is apparently headed down that road too?

spacer.png

I read the same article as anybody else, but I'd say this is not going to happen. FOX commissioned it back in 2006, but ultimately decided it was not the direction they wanted to go.

I'm glad they made that decision, but I appreciate where further iterations of this could have gone. I think the major mistake in this is that the designer doesn't seem to be a sports fan. One line of thinking says an outsider will give you the best, freshest work, but I think you have to appreciate your audience's viewpoint to turn out the most appropriate work.

I believe that the teal is just for when the Dolphins are on offense. It'll change depending on the team.

The second shot would disagree, as it says Minnesota and Denver are playing, and it's still teal. Though it could just be laziness on the part of whoever made the mock-ups. After all, the pictures don't match the graphics. I think I jumped on the teal because I had just read the purple/teal thread. Anyway, I really hope this is just a failed proposal.

spacer.png

I read the same article as anybody else, but I'd say this is not going to happen. FOX commissioned it back in 2006, but ultimately decided it was not the direction they wanted to go.

I'm glad they made that decision, but I appreciate where further iterations of this could have gone. I think the major mistake in this is that the designer doesn't seem to be a sports fan. One line of thinking says an outsider will give you the best, freshest work, but I think you have to appreciate your audience's viewpoint to turn out the most appropriate work.

THANK YOU. Finally somebody else actually took the time to read the full article before going off the deep end.

Looks like what happens when people who don't know sports, try to design for sports.

This mindset is why we get so much of the same year after year. There's nothing innovative, restrained or refreshing about sports design. This set of TV graphics is all of the above. Too bad it's just a concept that FOX commissioned in '06 and ultimately decided to pass on in favor of some chrome and a dancing robot. Is it perfect? No. It's a first draft; a rough sketch. But it pushes the boundary in the right direction, away from busy and toward functional.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Looks like what happens when people who don't know sports, try to design for sports.

This mindset is why we get so much of the same year after year. There's nothing innovative, restrained or refreshing about sports design. This set of TV graphics is all of the above. Too bad it's just a concept that FOX commissioned in '06 and ultimately decided to pass on in favor of some chrome and a dancing robot. Is it perfect? No. It's a first draft; a rough sketch. But it pushes the boundary in the right direction, away from busy and toward functional.

As I said in my previous post, it's really two lines of thinking, and it's probably best to tread in the middle. There's a designer outside the audience who may not communicate well to the audience at all, and there's the designer in the audience who may continue the same old same old without ever stepping back and making sure the right progress is being made.

Whether it's an outsider indulging himself in the audience or a member of the audience stepping back, it's necessary to know and appreciate the audience your designer for while still pushing their limits to make progress.

In the views we've seen, I think the designer failed to connect with the sports fan. But as you note and as I said previously, these were initial thoughts, and I'd have been very interested in further iterations to see if they made the connection.

Archived