Statistical Analysis: Most Used Pantone/PMS Colors By League

TruColor

This weekend on my blog (ColorWerx.blogspot.com), I broke down the four major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) and displayed the most used Pantone colors. Basically, all of the ones that are used more than once by the teams.

The criteria was by league, for the current season, only using primary or secondary colors (no "additional" colors - e.g., the Steelers' Red, Blue and Gray are NOT included), and also include any alternate colors such as flat, non-metallic alternates.

Here are links to the individual posts by league:

I'm eventually going to create more statistical reports - identifying color trends by decade is one that I think would be useful.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any ideas or suggestions for me.

This weekend on my blog (ColorWerx.blogspot.com), I broke down the four major sports leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) and displayed the most used Pantone colors. Basically, all of the ones that are used more than once by the teams.

The criteria was by league, for the current season, only using primary or secondary colors (no "additional" colors - e.g., the Steelers' Red, Blue and Gray are NOT included), and also include any alternate colors such as flat, non-metallic alternates.

Here are links to the individual posts by league:

I'm eventually going to create more statistical reports - identifying color trends by decade is one that I think would be useful.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any ideas or suggestions for me.

Love it! One bit of info I was looking for on the page was the teams using each colour listed

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Two NFL teams use midnight green?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm pretty sure that's the hunter green of the Jets and Packers.

That's it. PMS 5535-C is the Packers' green. And for all the "different shade of green" nonsense we heard from sportswriters during the Brett Favre-to-New York saga, the Jets use the exact same Pantone color.

cool idea, Don...I would have liked to see a bar or pie graph (of the breakdown) though instead of listing the colors by swatches.

Workin' on it...

Oh - and thanks for the input guys...I'm excluding identifying the individual teams on my blog due to potential confidentiality issues, but I can answer questions here.

Outstanding.

The only request I'd make is to add the number of teams using each color, as well as the percentage, to the key.

I'll work on that next.

Here's the NHL:

NHL_ColorStatistics_20100517.png

cool idea, Don...I would have liked to see a bar or pie graph (of the breakdown) though instead of listing the colors by swatches.

Oh - and thanks for the input guys...I'm excluding identifying the individual teams on my blog due to potential confidentiality issues, but I can answer questions here.

My bad!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Having suggested including them, I don't think you need to have the number of teams using each color in the pie chart itself. I may have encouraged you to clutter up the diagrams.

Maybe, if you are to include them, put them in parentheses to set them apart from the color number?

I'm pretty sure that's the hunter green of the Jets and Packers.

That's it. PMS 5535-C is the Packers' green. And for all the "different shade of green" nonsense we heard from sportswriters during the Brett Favre-to-New York saga, the Jets use the exact same Pantone color.

Oh, I was expecting the bottom to be colors used by only one team. Forgot that it was only listing colors used by multiple teams. It'd be neat to also see the unique colors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I noticed the orange in the NFL's chart which is something I'd made note of before:When I started my NFL Alt Universe concepts I made a swatch library in AI for all NFL teams based off of the info on your site and through this was able to see which teams share the same colors or colors so similar that their basically discernable, and Navy (Cowboys,Pats,Rams,Chargers) and Orange (Broncos,Browns,Bengals) stuck out to me most as far as using the same shade.

98Falcons.png

Archived