Philly-delphia Eagles Concept

andrewharrington

I love the Eagles' classic kelly green color. I love even more the solid silver silhouette of the Eagles' wing against that classic kelly green color. Yeah, the current helmet is fine, decent, and as a whole, they do the modern uniform as good as anyone, but it's a little over the top for me. A little busy. A little cartoony. With that said, the 'new' throwbacks aren't quite ready to be full time uniforms. There's too much white and too little silver, for one, and the white jerseys of this era always outshone the green jerseys because they had a unique set of stripes on them.

eagles.png

I also think this looks great with a silver helmet and green wings, but I have reservations about that because of the Cowboys, their 'ownership' of the silver helmet and the fact that they are a division rival. Green and white was also a possibility, but I'd like to leave that to the Jets. (Right Click > View Image to see it a little larger)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't know how much the Cowboys "own" silver. I think it would be an interesting look with this set and I'd like to see it.

With that said, the uni is solid but I agree the current wings look a lot better. Even going halfway as detailed would be really helpful.

BRAVE-BIRD: I'll be honest: I used to hate the plain silhouette wing and thought that any update to the Eagles look should use the new helmet wings, but then I evolved. From my point of view, by adding all the extra definition and tone to the wings on the helmet, you're not really adding anything of value. The plain silhouette on the classic helmets is instantly recognizable as a set of wings, i.e., the extra detail isn't making it any more recognizable as a wing. It's just eye candy and an excuse to add a color (black) that doesn't need to be there.

TENTO: In the NFC, particularly the East Division, I think the Cowboys are the most well known for wearing silver lids. In the AFC, that's got to be Oakland.

GRUBSTREET: Unfortunately, adding a double stripe to the pants makes the look a whole lot more cluttered and really messes up the separation of elements, not to mention propagating the concept of 'stripe matching,' which I despise.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

From a personal stand point it's just to plain compared to what they have now. I know the point was to strip away everything that you felt was unnecessary, and I'm fine with that idea, I think there are far to many cluttered uni's in the NFL (Bills anyone?). But I feel you've taken it too far back, rather than pruning you've clear cut it and what's left feels like a generic Highschool pattern when looked at next to their current set.

You said you avoided a silver helmet because you felt it mirrored the Cowboys to closely, which is fine and I agree with, but why then use what is essentially the Cowboys throwback font for the number?

I love that you've gone back to the kelly green, I dont have a problem with the solid silver wings on the helmet, I dont have an issue with removing the shadows and the black from the letters or even any trace of an eagle from the shirt, but if you're going to do all that you have to make what's left unique, and to me that means a bespoke font for the numbers etc.

It doesn't have to be over the top it can have a "classic" feel to it it doesn't need to be similar to what they have now, but there needs to be something about the shirt that is uniquely theirs and I dont see that in what you've got just now. Take the helmet out the picture (which will happen when fans wear the shirt) and there isn't anything uniquely Eagles about the jersey. It's green with two hoops on the sleeves and uses a varsity block font. I'll bet I could find an almost identical design in a jersey manufacturers catalog, that's not intended as an insult I'm just trying to point out how generic I feel it looks.

I'd also look to add a crest at the neckline, I know they weren't a traditional thing but it's something that's become more and more common place in recent years, and I think it would help prevent the generic template feel that comes across to me right now.

Right now what you have is a great throwback style uni, but what you need is great Eagles uni that's in a throwback style. A little more "Eagles" is all that's required, and I dont mean actual Eagle graphics just something to make it slightly more unique, slightly more "theirs" and you'll have really succeeded with this.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I love the Eagles' classic kelly green color. I love even more the solid silver silhouette of the Eagles' wing against that classic kelly green color. Yeah, the current helmet is fine, decent, and as a whole, they do the modern uniform as good as anyone, but it's a little over the top for me. A little busy. A little cartoony. With that said, the 'new' throwbacks aren't quite ready to be full time uniforms. There's too much white and too little silver, for one, and the white jerseys of this era always outshone the green jerseys because they had a unique set of stripes on them.

eagles.png

I also think this looks great with a silver helmet and green wings, but I have reservations about that because of the Cowboys, their 'ownership' of the silver helmet and the fact that they are a division rival. Green and white was also a possibility, but I'd like to leave that to the Jets. (Right Click > View Image to see it a little larger)

Very nice, but there should still be a little bit of white accent somewhere, maybe around the wings.

From a personal stand point it's just to plain compared to what they have now. I know the point was to strip away everything that you felt was unnecessary, and I'm fine with that idea, I think there are far to many cluttered uni's in the NFL (Bills anyone?). But I feel you've taken it too far back, rather than pruning you've clear cut it and what's left feels like a generic Highschool pattern when looked at next to their current set.

You said you avoided a silver helmet because you felt it mirrored the Cowboys to closely, which is fine and I agree with, but why then use what is essentially the Cowboys throwback font for the number?

I love that you've gone back to the kelly green, I dont have a problem with the solid silver wings on the helmet, I dont have an issue with removing the shadows and the black from the letters or even any trace of an eagle from the shirt, but if you're going to do all that you have to make what's left unique, and to me that means a bespoke font for the numbers etc.

It doesn't have to be over the top it can have a "classic" feel to it it doesn't need to be similar to what they have now, but there needs to be something about the shirt that is uniquely theirs and I dont see that in what you've got just now. Take the helmet out the picture (which will happen when fans wear the shirt) and there isn't anything uniquely Eagles about the jersey. It's green with two hoops on the sleeves and uses a varsity block font. I'll bet I could find an almost identical design in a jersey manufacturers catalog, that's not intended as an insult I'm just trying to point out how generic I feel it looks.

I'd also look to add a crest at the neckline, I know they weren't a traditional thing but it's something that's become more and more common place in recent years, and I think it would help prevent the generic template feel that comes across to me right now.

Right now what you have is a great throwback style uni, but what you need is great Eagles uni that's in a throwback style. A little more "Eagles" is all that's required, and I dont mean actual Eagle graphics just something to make it slightly more unique, slightly more "theirs" and you'll have really succeeded with this.

9erssteve

Now I'll ask you this. How does a set of slick numerals make this any more unique than it already is? You don't think it's unique, because it's conservatively styled and you've seen it before. I'll tell you where you've seen it before: on the Eagles! The color scheme, stripes (and coincidentally) the classic numeral style are all unique to the Eagles (they used it before the Cowboys even existed) and each element comes straight from their own history.

Generic is a pejorative term, but when every team starts to adopt horn-stripes on the pants and piping down the ribs and other 'unique' elements, doesn't that then become generic? On top of it, with production what it is today, every team's uniform can and is recreated all the way down to high school levels. The only way to authenticate something today is to wear it on the field.

Of course this is going to look bare when viewed next to their current uniform, but at the end of the day, I'll say it again: it's a football uniform, not a wedding dress (but I'll betcha the Eagles current uniform has more stitching than some wedding dresses :grin:) FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION 4 LIFE!

9erssteve

Now I'll ask you this. How does a set of slick numerals make this any more unique than it already is? You don't think it's unique, because it's conservatively styled and you've seen it before. I'll tell you where you've seen it before: on the Eagles! The color scheme, stripes (and coincidentally) the classic numeral style are all unique to the Eagles (they used it before the Cowboys even existed) and each element comes straight from their own history.

Generic is a pejorative term, but when every team starts to adopt horn-stripes on the pants and piping down the ribs and other 'unique' elements, doesn't that then become generic? On top of it, with production what it is today, every team's uniform can and is recreated all the way down to high school levels. The only way to authenticate something today is to wear it on the field.

Of course this is going to look bare when viewed next to their current uniform, but at the end of the day, I'll say it again: it's a football uniform, not a wedding dress (but I'll betcha the Eagles current uniform has more stitching than some wedding dresses :grin:) FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION 4 LIFE!

Ok re-read the bold part then re-read the paragraph under it where you describe what makes something generic. Doesn't that kind of undermine your argument on the "uniqueness" of the font? It may have been unique to the Eagles but has since become far more associated with the more successful Cowboys and for reasons of their success adopted by a great many other teams through all levels of football leaving it as you said just a generic font. If the Eagles were savvy enough back in the day to know that a genuinely unique font could set them apart I dont see why the idea is so derided now?

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION 4 LIFE! I get your stance and agree with it for the most part, but to claim that sport is not also an emotional pursuit is crazy and to try and remove emotion from the design process foolish. Looking back to the past for inspiration is fine, in this day and age where Reebok want to throw drop shadows and piping at every uniform they can I'm actually IN FAVOUR of the more classic look. You're right it can make for a very unique look when placed next to say the Bills and their horrendously cluttered unis, but the trouble is while you can look to the past for design cues and bring them into the modern age what you CANT do is remove the decades worth of emotional baggage that comes with them.

You cant sadly cant un-subvert the subverted, an extreme case I know but take the swastika, an eastern symbol for luck until adopted and modified by the Nazis, they flipped it and angled it, sadly now though even when the general public see it in it's original form most peoples first thought is Nazis and many have no idea it had another meaning to begin with. Now while in no way as extreme millions of people have seen Staubach and Co winning Superbowls in very simple uni's with that EXACT font on them, and they will continue to do so, at an ever increasing rate as NFL Network continues to show repeats of Superbowls to fill every offseason from now until whenever, with little or no classic footage of the Eagles to counteract the balance. As a result a great many fans will do as I did and associate that font more readily to the Cowboys than the Eagles. The truth is that while it might have been unique to the Eagles the Cowboys now have a bigger emotional ownership of it and it will continue to grow due to replayed footage of them winning while wearing it, and no amount of "we wore it first" by the Eagles will change that.

Fans will never wear the uni for the numerous functional reasons for which it's been designed, for them it's purely an emotional tie and to deny that would be counter productive, so for them it's about how it feels. I have no issue with anything else on the shirts, I LOVE the fact you've gotten rid of all the unnecessary shadows and outlines, I love the fact you've gone back to what I believe is the GENUINE Eagles colour scheme, etc etc but the emotional connection that font has with the Cowboys is undeniable and with a uni as minimalist and classic as this one is imo you dont have room for emotional ties to ANY other team than the one you're designing for. The font is the ONLY point of interest and right now it's screaming "Hey i've been used on a division rivals old shirts too, and won Superbowls while doing it!" Which is why I said before and I'll say it again, it doesn't "feel" like an Eagles shirt, and with so little on there the only thing stopping it feeling that way and the only thing that can be changed to make it feel that way IS the font. It doesn't have to be "new" and "slick" it can be retro style or varsity-esque but imo it cannot afford to have emotional ties to any other team especially not a division rival.

Agree, disagree that's up to you it's just my honest opinion. I dont have a problem with historic/nostaligic uni's, hell I love the fact the 9ers have a grey facemask again that's how much I love the throwback stuff, I love everything else about this concept, and I think historic uni's can be VERY successful, when placed next to modern ones as there is almost a calmness about them that modern uni's dont have. My issue is that another team has a bigger emotional tie to the biggest point of interest on the shirts and that stops it "feeling" like an Eagles jersey, and as much as you seem to wish to take emotion out of the equation, sport is a highly emotive thing and that will never change because truthfully what useful function does 22 grown men beating the living daylights out of one another over a leather bag full of compressed air actually serve? None I'd say, to my eye it's done because all those involved players and spectators alike derive some form of pleasure from it, and thats an emotion which makes emotion just as important in uni design as form and function, and sadly that font no longer emotes Eagles to me it says Cowboys and I'm sure a great many others feel the same.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Truth be told, the numerals are about the least important part of this particular concept, and accordingly, I spent zero time deliberating that choice. I simply carried it over from the classic uniform because it's a good set of numerals that's historically accurate and unique in today's NFL. Sure the cowboys wore it for years, but at the same time, it's a numeral, the thing that the casual fan least picks up on. In no way does the association with the Cowboys wearing these numerals on par with the association of them wearing silver domes.

The point of this concept is updating one of the Eagles best looks to A. Incorporate more silver into the uniform (you'll recall that the originals had green and silver helmets with green and white uniforms) and to B. Liven up the green jerseys (which originally had no sleeve stripes).

I see what you're saying, though, and I think the concept would work just as well with a more standard block numeral or a thinner, more modern-looking one.

I've always thought that the Lakers font would make a fantastic football font. It's kinda the same, but different - especially the 2s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Truth be told, the numerals are about the least important part of this particular concept, and accordingly, I spent zero time deliberating that choice. I simply carried it over from the classic uniform because it's a good set of numerals that's historically accurate and unique in today's NFL. Sure the cowboys wore it for years, but at the same time, it's a numeral, the thing that the casual fan least picks up on. In no way does the association with the Cowboys wearing these numerals on par with the association of them wearing silver domes.

The point of this concept is updating one of the Eagles best looks to A. Incorporate more silver into the uniform (you'll recall that the originals had green and silver helmets with green and white uniforms) and to B. Liven up the green jerseys (which originally had no sleeve stripes).

I see what you're saying, though, and I think the concept would work just as well with a more standard block numeral or a thinner, more modern-looking one.

While changing the numerals may not have been an objective you set yourself when you started the project imo that doesn't make them the least important part, especially on an jersey so minimal. They will by that very fact end up becoming a focus point and influence the look and feel a great deal whether that was your intention or not because there is little else to hold the attention of the viewer.

Hate to disagree with you on the second bold part, but with regards the Eagles, or any team in the NFC east I'm little more than a casual fan but upon viewing your concept the first thing that sprang to mind was, "that's the Cowboys throwback font" and I doubt I'd be the only casual fan to do it. You're right the association is nowhere near as strong as the association with silver helmets but as your concept does not use silver helmets it eliminates that distraction but in so doing heightens the font issue.

With regards the objectives you've listed I think you've done a great job of realizing them and I think having another "classically styled" uni in the NFL would work well, my only issue is emotional tie the font has to the Cowboys.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

The fact that you're A. a designer, and B. a member of this board disqualify you from being a casual fan with regard to this issue, by the way. By 'least important' I do not mean that the numerals are not a focal point of the jersey. Of course they are. Rather, I mean that during the design process, the numerals were simply carried over, and that changing them was not an intention, and thus the style of the numeral was not intended to be discussed as such. They are simply accurate throwback numerals from that point of view. Critique the color, fine, because I went out of my way to change it, but the style is the style, and I still contest that Average Joe Fan doesn't even know that the Cowboys wore those numerals. The work was done in bringing green back, changing the white over to silver, and livening up the home jersey. You could make the case that they are Packers and Colts numbers as well, because there were some great Green Bay and Baltimore teams that wore those numerals.

The fact that you're A. a designer, and B. a member of this board disqualify you from being a casual fan with regard to this issue, by the way. By 'least important' I do not mean that the numerals are not a focal point of the jersey. Of course they are. Rather, I mean that during the design process, the numerals were simply carried over, and that changing them was not an intention, and thus the style of the numeral was not intended to be discussed as such. They are simply accurate throwback numerals from that point of view. Critique the color, fine, because I went out of my way to change it, but the style is the style, and I still contest that Average Joe Fan doesn't even know that the Cowboys wore those numerals. The work was done in bringing green back, changing the white over to silver, and livening up the home jersey. You could make the case that they are Packers and Colts numbers as well, because there were some great Green Bay and Baltimore teams that wore those numerals.

I'm pretty sure I already made that case when I pointed out that other teams adopted the font after the Cowboys and thus it was now pretty generic and had no real emotional ties with the Eagles.

In what way can I critique the colour? You did an Eagles throwback style uni so it pretty much stands to reason you'd go with the old kelly green. I prefer that green I said so myself from post one but once I've expressed that preference I'm sorry there's not really a whole lot else to say on the subject is there?

So now that the colour is out the way what else is there to critique on the jersey? The two hoops on the sleeves? Well they break up the green I guess, how historically accurate they are I couldn't say as contrary to your claims I am genuinely just a casual fan of most teams outside of the 9ers, sure I could spot the differences between an 80' uni and a 90's or even 00's Eagles uni but right back through their history no sorry I'd have to go look it up. So yeah I guess they liven things up a bit.

Which leaves the only other thing that can be critiqued... the font. I'm not gonna go over it again I've made my point and I dont want to fall out with anyone over it, I respect your work.

You claim the font was never intended to be discussed in this way, well yeah perhaps it wasn't your intention but that's what happens when you ask others for their feedback and opinion, they look at things from their perspective and will pick up on things you didn't see, and often didn't intend them to see. It's a risk you take, but it's also why it's a good idea, it brings a new perspective to piece and can make you look at something in an entirely different light.

You dont agree with me that's fine, it's your piece and you can do as you please, it is just my opinion after all you dont have to act on it. But please for your own sake dont tell others how to critique your work, if you put something out there for criticism take it all, to tell people what they should concentrate on when viewing your work makes you sound like what you want is praise not constructive criticism and I'm certain that wasn't your intention.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

You dont agree with me that's fine, it's your piece and you can do as you please, it is just my opinion after all you dont have to act on it. But please for your own sake dont tell others how to critique your work, if you put something out there for criticism take it all, to tell people what they should concentrate on when viewing your work makes you sound like what you want is praise not constructive criticism and I'm certain that wasn't your intention.

I would say that was the intention. Every constructive thing I've read in this thread has been shot down or dismissed entirely.

The point of this board is to help make each other better, not stroke egos. That being said, I think this concept needs some white to define elements and make them stand out.

I think white around the "unimportant" numbers and in the "unique" sleeve striping would help, not to mention around the wings on the helmet.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

I think it's hilarious to see him shoot down everybody's criticism after he accused me of shooting down all of his criticism in my ProCombat thread. :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, this concept bores me to tears. It's one thing to create a simple, clean concept. However, this uni has so little going for it that it looks a bit like a practice jersey. It just looks unfinished. You should consider adding some outlines to the numbers and maybe a wing or eagle head motif on the sleeves. Just because a concept is supposed to be "classic" doesn't mean it has to be boring and joyless.

Now I'm expecting to be completely dismissed here, but it's clear the aim here isn't to actually better the concept or change it at all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

andrew, i fully agree with 9ersteve on this. maybe im not a casual fan since i too am a professional designer and board member but that number font will be associated with the Cowboys by anyone who is a fan of those teams. casual fans may not have the eye for detail that designers do, but they are not oblivious to history. growing up a Cowboys fan, i would hate to see the Eagles adopt this number font for themselves. perhaps an Eagles fan can chime in on what he thinks

i too love what you have done here, but have to agree that if a silver helmet poses a branding/identity problem then so does that number font.

the only other thing i can say is that i have never liked that version of the wing. if we're talking about a "new" uniform here and not just showing off a throwback, i would suggest using the silhouette of the current wing which is simply drawn better, and fits on the helmet more naturally.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

growing up a Cowboys fan, i would hate to see the Eagles adopt this number font for themselves. perhaps an Eagles fan can chime in on what he thinks

When I actually think about it, yeah - that font is clearly associated more with the cowboys. However, seeing it in this concept in green and silver, I didn't instantly think of the cowboys. It's not "unique" enough IMO to really make it off limits, and as long as whichever team uses it isn't wearing royal or navy, I think it's fine. I certainly understand the concerns that it's "owned" by Dallas, but I think that it's not that unique, there's a historical reason for them to wear it, and I just really don't think that it's that big of a deal in this case.

It would be cool though if some slight mods were made, just to separate it a little bit - specifically, maybe go with a slanted 2 instead of the straight-bar 2, since when I think of Dallas in that font, I think of numbers that have 2s in them, so if the Eagles 2 was to be different, I think that would go a long way toward erasing any thoughts of the Cowboys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived