Portland Timbers to have a new logo for MLS Debut

rvrdgsfn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad but Alaska logo is so long is looks like scribbles from far away. I was hoping for a big Nike on the Adidas kit. Would have been fun.

Indeed. They could have just written "Alaska" like on the side of their planes. All I know is I want to see this guy make an appearance, perhaps on a throwback jersey:

MyEskimoOrig.jpg

Edited to add: Is it allowable under MLS licensing agreements to have different sponsors for the same team? Could Horizon Air, a part of Alaska Air group (whom I'm assuming is paying for the sponsorship), appear on one of the Timbers jerseys or is it a requirement that all jerseys from one team have the same logo on them?

Not bad but Alaska logo is so long is looks like scribbles from far away. I was hoping for a big Nike on the Adidas kit. Would have been fun.

Indeed. They could have just written "Alaska" like on the side of their planes. All I know is I want to see this guy make an appearance, perhaps on a throwback jersey:

MyEskimoOrig.jpg

Edited to add: Is it allowable under MLS licensing agreements to have different sponsors for the same team? Could Horizon Air, a part of Alaska Air group (whom I'm assuming is paying for the sponsorship), appear on one of the Timbers jerseys or is it a requirement that all jerseys from one team have the same logo on them?

good question, I would love to see the eskimo head logo though

Alaska Airlines is the Portland Timbers shirt sponsor?

Have I mentioned before that I HATE euro-style shirt sponsors?

It's ok to hate it but I'd say it's more appropriate to call them soccer-style shirt sponsors. The MLS was one of the few leagues who didn't do this. Now that they do, their teams look like actual soccer teams from around the world.

Alaska Airlines is the Portland Timbers shirt sponsor?

Have I mentioned before that I HATE euro-style shirt sponsors?

MLS was oh so respected when they were wearing neon colours and 90s fonts across their shirts.

So 90's fonts and shirt-sponsors are the ONLY options here?

I'm gonna need a better argument than "that's how its done in other parts of the world" to convince me that shirt-sponsors are a good idea. I believe your grandmother's cliche about jumping off a bridge applies here. The idea of shirt sponsors = bush league is one of the few instances where I wish the American mentality could be exported to the rest of the globe.

MyEskimoOrig.jpg

good question, I would love to see the eskimo head logo though

It's more complicated than that. Horizon and Alaska are totally separate compnaies, working together under a CPA. You can't technically buy a ticket from Horizon, you have to buy it through Alaska to be able to travel on Horizon. So it wouldnt really make sense to use Horizon as a sponsor.

But to answer your more general question I'm sure they could if they wanted. Pepsi is a league sponsor, and in Toronto all you see is pepsi. In the states however you see Pepsi and Sierra Mist.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived