Portland Timbers to have a new logo for MLS Debut

rvrdgsfn

Impact may be a dumb name, but it is the name the team has had for their entire existence. It's the name their very loyal fans know them as, and it's the name the team brand is centred around. From both a fan's perspective and a marketing one keeping the Impact name makes sense.

Not sure I agree "from a marketing perspective."

Sometimes, even an established brand needs to be overhauled, especially if you want to be able to reach new customers. This is probably one of those times.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's a trade off I suppose. Changing the name may turn off some of the loyal fans that have supported the team all of these years, and there is no guarantee a new name/identity will bring in new fans.

I agree that the name is terrible, but it is the one the team has gone by for years. I'm not sure how changing it will go over. If they do change it, though, they need something original. Recycling NASL names wouldn't be the way to go.

Of course there is no guarantee. And I don't know the market, so I can't speak with any authority to the specifics.

Sometimes there is indeed a value in keeping an established name. Sometimes there is a value in adopting a new one. Sometimes, there is even value in resurrecting an old name, such as one from the NASL. :P

"Impact" is such a lousy name, though, from my perspective either of the other two choices would be preferable.

I do recall reading some where that they used the name Impact because all the sign-age in Montreal needs to be in English and in French.

Very untrue, any person who has tried to navigate the streets of Montreal would tell you the signage is definitely not in English and French; it's almost exclusively French -- I believe if English appears it must be in a font at least 1/3 smaller than the French.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

They've been using a cicular saw logo on thier website. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the shape of the final logo.

Good God, let's hope not.

I mean, why bother with such too-clever-by-far "change for the sake of change" when the franchise already uses a clean, simple, well-designed, long-standing logo/badge that has been traditionally sported - with minimal changes to the font used on the mark - by Timbers soccer franchises in Portland since 1974?

Leave well enough alone.

As much as I'm not a fan of the circumstances surrounding the Timbers elevating to MLS (and I won't get on that soapbox in this thread B)) I really love the original Timbers crest. I genuinely hope the tweaks are extremely minor. Really, for a 30-year old logo, it is timeless.

When they came back in 2001 as an A-League entry, they used this:

eb03279950067072694ff257f9fd7579.100.jpg

Not a bad logo, but the move away from green and yellow (not to mention the axe) was a big mistake.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

As much as I'm not a fan of the circumstances surrounding the Timbers elevating to MLS (and I won't get on that soapbox in this thread B)) I really love the original Timbers crest. I genuinely hope the tweaks are extremely minor. Really, for a 30-year old logo, it is timeless.

When they came back in 2001 as an A-League entry, they used this:

eb03279950067072694ff257f9fd7579.100.jpg

Not a bad logo, but the move away from green and yellow (not to mention the axe) was a big mistake.

DELETED ... STUPID!

Richmond.pngCanucks-1.png49ers-1.pngMariners-2.png

Thanks to Gobbi for the awesome buttons!

They've been using a cicular saw logo on thier website. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the shape of the final logo.

I mean, why bother with such too-clever-by-far "change for the sake of change" when the franchise already uses a clean, simple, well-designed, long-standing logo/badge that has been traditionally sported - with minimal changes to the font used on the mark - by Timbers soccer franchises in Portland since 1974?

Leave well enough alone.

Seconded. Why mess with what you got so incredibly right on the first try?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Leave well enough alone.

Seconded. Why mess with what you got so incredibly right on the first try?

I suspect they won't - they'll just tweak it enough that fans will know it's a new logo signifying the new league, and casual followers won't know the difference. I'm thinking Minnesota Twins territory.

I've heard reports that the Impact name is staying..... not thrilled to hear that.. hopefully they change their mind.

I love it.

A) The Impact have already won the Voyager's cup (Canadian championship leading to a birth in the CONCACAF champion's league) so there's history there that will carry over.

B) The Impact already have a long standing rivalry with Vancouver Whitecaps and a shorter but intense rivalry with TFC

C) Much like Seattle, Portland and, Vancouver keeping the same name makes the move to MLS seem like a promotion from D-2 (whatever league it will be next year) as opposed to a brand new team.

D) Much less importantly changing the name would result in loosing a great chant we TFC supporters sing "Tic Taqw Tabernaque who the :censored: are the Impact?"

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm telling you, "Montreal Citoyens" is much better than Impact. It's a plural, it's French, it's a simple identification like "Canadiens," how can you go wrong. To keep it is an

EPIC FAIL

(groan)

I'm fond of that Portland Timbers logo with the axe and implied evergreen. That's good stuff.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived